Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

going to look at a tC, what should i ask/know?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
OhioScions

Default going to look at a tC, what should i ask/know?

This is my first post here although i've read many helpful threads here that helped me choose the tC over a civic, tiburon, and other cars in that price range. I have always driven imports and was very delighted to see that toyota was making these cars in Japan, with great features, under a new name, and at an amazing price.....

I want to go check one out and my parents have a friend who is a toyota dealer. I know there is fixed pricing, but considering these factors : we have bought 3 cars from this same dealership in the past, I am going to finance about half the cost and put down about half, i will probably qualify for the $400 college student rebate, i want AT, and probably airbags/ some necessary addons, im not concerned with performance (although the car has excellent numbers) but i do need a sporty reliable car......

could i get a good deal (perhaps at invoice), anything specific i should ask the dealer and any general suggestions you have are appreciated...i am located in ohio. thanks

-stevux
Old 09-26-2004, 01:18 AM
Banned
SL Member

Know your credit score/ FICO.

www.fico.com It's not free. Just get one score from a reporting agency to tell where you are. The other two agencies may be lower or higher than the agency you bought the report from. Certain state laws have free credit score information. Not sure how that goes and may take awhile.

Price your options at www.scion.com. Print it out and carry it to the dealer. Dont show them that print out but compare with what they have. If its higher, find someone that are selling the tC at MSRP. If you dont want to finance through Toyota Financial Services, depending on your credit rating, your local credit union or bank may be able to finance you at lower APR.

Keep in mind the doc fee. Each dealer will be different. Make sure you pay the taxes on the tC before signing the final actual finance amount. This will be considered and added to your down payment which reduces your finance amount. Check the paper work very carefully. If you do intend to get extended warranty, you can always cancel it and get a prorated amount back. But this will reduced your principal or the remaining amount still financed.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

first off, no offense, not trying to be an ___. but, damn, what don't people understand about no negotiating. saturns been out for awhile, it's not like you can haggle anywhere else. you go to anywhere and you have to pay what's listed.....how hard is that? sorry, i sell these, and i get people all day asking the same question, and not believing the answer.....bleh. yah, anyways, no deals man, sorry. the car is a deal in it self.

anyways, what you should look for is a scion manager....thats very important.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

Dealers are not selling these cars at invoice. You state that your parents know the person who owns toyota dealership. That may have a positive effect on the price that an average consumer would not be able get. Even with the relationship, don't be surprised if that dealer still wants invoice. That's what everyone is paying. As far as quesions, ask if the dealer installed options you want are in-stock. The Scion alarm and light kit I purchased took 3 weeks for the dealer to get. Congrats on your soon to be new car. You will love this thing.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:41 AM
5 Year Member
OhioScions

Originally Posted by ScionLawyer
Dealers are not selling these cars at invoice. You state that your parents know the person who owns toyota dealership. That may have a positive effect on the price that an average consumer would not be able get. Even with the relationship, don't be surprised if that dealer still wants invoice. That's what everyone is paying. As far as quesions, ask if the dealer installed options you want are in-stock. The Scion alarm and light kit I purchased took 3 weeks for the dealer to get. Congrats on your soon to be new car. You will love this thing.

ah didnt think of that, thanks for the advise, i noticed youre from cleveland, just curious which dealership you got your tC at and what kind (if any) of a deal did you get on it?
Old 09-26-2004, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by empleh
first off, no offense, not trying to be an ___. but, damn, what don't people understand about no negotiating. saturns been out for awhile, it's not like you can haggle anywhere else. you go to anywhere and you have to pay what's listed.....how hard is that? sorry, i sell these, and i get people all day asking the same question, and not believing the answer.....bleh. yah, anyways, no deals man, sorry. the car is a deal in it self.

anyways, what you should look for is a scion manager....thats very important.
no deals huh?... how about free floor mats and mudguards for buying a tC that had way more options on it then i wanted and wasn't the color i asked for (i wanted stock but it came with sill guards, rear bumper applique, lip spoiler, mud guards and floor mats)... my salesman was a really great guy though... honest, supportive, patient, accomedating and got the job done... thats all that matters :D
Old 09-26-2004, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when I bought mine the dealer took the pricing of the car and the options I wanted right from scion.com. I watched him go to the website and price it out. the price is what it is and it's an excellent price. so much car and value for the price, no one else out there can compete even close to this price.
Old 09-26-2004, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

I purchased mine from Motorcars Toyota/Scion in Cleveland Heights. I had a very positive expeience with the dealership. BTW....I paid retail for the car and options just as stated on www.scion.com website. With options, it ended up over $22,000, but I still think it is a hell of a car for that price.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
OhioScions

Originally Posted by ScionLawyer
I purchased mine from Motorcars Toyota/Scion in Cleveland Heights. I had a very positive expeience with the dealership. BTW....I paid retail for the car and options just as stated on www.scion.com website. With options, it ended up over $22,000, but I still think it is a hell of a car for that price.

that is actually a dealership i know and was considering visiting, it seems like you got a lot of options but $22k still seems reasonable for all that stuff, did you goto other places like metro or bedford to compare?
Old 07-03-2007, 09:17 PM

Even with the set pricing it's still possible to get screwed overpaying with the finance process. I trused my fiance's judgement and we WAY overpaid by financing through Toyota. We got seduced by a lower interest rate and lower payments but they put in a bunch of add-ons onto the total price for stuff that we're never going to use. I'd rather have eaten a higher interest rate for a year on the actual car cost only and then refinanced than to have a lower rate but $3k worth of crap we're never going to recoup the value of.

DUMB MOVE. I am kicking myself for trusting his judgement. Thank God I love the car and my fiance otherwise someone might get killed. lol.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

good job reviving a 3 year old thread!