2005-2010 [ANT10]

grinding into third...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 05:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default grinding into third...

so im driving home from work on friday and i start my car...no problems. put it in first and drive out of the parking lot...no problem. Shift down to second...no problem. Shift up to third....Grinding gear noice and then slips in..what the hell. shift back to second...try again..same thing. it only grinds for half a second and then slips in....and it only hapens going into third...not comming out. no matter if i go from fourth to third or secon to third..still grinds..anybody know whats up before i take it to the shop?
Old 10-04-2005, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yup talking about this on another board.. let me cut and paste my response
Old 10-04-2005, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: grinding into third...

Originally Posted by honey0bucket
so im driving home from work on friday and i start my car...no problems. put it in first and drive out of the parking lot...no problem. Shift down to second...no problem. Shift up to third....Grinding gear noice and then slips in..what the hell. shift back to second...try again..same thing. it only grinds for half a second and then slips in....and it only hapens going into third...not comming out. no matter if i go from fourth to third or secon to third..still grinds..anybody know whats up before i take it to the shop?
here ya go.. here's the response.. and the problem..
-----------------------
what's responsible for smooth shifting between gears is called a synchronizer.. it matches the speed of the input shaft and spins up the gear to match that speed so that the gear meshes smoothly when you shift into gear..

if that is messed up (like some tC manuals have been) it requires replacement.. taking apart the transmission and repairing it.. so far people with this have just gotten the transmission replaced all together..

it's faulty parts from the supplier.. there are syncronizers from 1 to 2nd.. 3rd to 4th.. (main syncros).. fifth has a syncro on it, but it's a funky set up with the other shaft it rides on..

take it easy til it's fixed.. dealer should call scion on this one, they know about the problem and have already fixed it for other tC owners..
Old 10-04-2005, 06:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup...! got mine replaced all together, works great now, no more grinding.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member

Mt 3rd is grinding too on up-shift and down-shift at 18.000 miles
Old 10-25-2005, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmmm thinking about taking mine it for a similiar thing....i have only 7,800 miles on my car and i have had it for a year....and it grinds going into second...only sometimes..but it's embarassing. When i get an oil change i will have them check that out too.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so gwtc, did u just call them or go to them or did they call u for the repairing? Did they charge u for it or it's under the waranty? thx
Old 10-25-2005, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

GRRRR....On phone with toyota now...I told them what's going on and he said that's not good! I told him i here a grinding when going into second sometimes..and sometimes i hear a KERKLUNK when sitting at a stop and shiftin or sometimes just shifting. He said WOW...then i told him i belong to a scion forum and other have had this same issue and it turned out to be the synchros..he said well if it is we'll just replace the transmission..i was like AHHHHHH!!! NOOOOO!!! so time to make an appointment at ye ol dealership!
Old 10-25-2005, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by miraclecreator
so gwtc, did u just call them or go to them or did they call u for the repairing? Did they charge u for it or it's under the waranty? thx
I just took it in one day and I had one of the techs ride with me(this is very inportant, always ask to ride with one of the techs anytime you have any noise issues, etc.., that way they can't tell you: "couldn't duplicate the noise or problem") and I showed him, then he tried it and he said yup, there's something wrong with the tranny. First he told me that most likely they would just rebuild the transmission, but later that day he called me and told me that his manager told him to just replace the whole thing, but here's the best part, it was covered under warranty and I even got a complementary rental car(an 06 Camry). Here's another piece of advice thou, my grinding got to the point where it would grind everytime I would shift into 5th, so it was very obvious, so if yours only does it sometimes you might have a hard time duplicating it and you'll end up paying for the diagnostic fee and won't get anything fixed.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Hi all, I am a new MT driver with a 05 tc for a few months, I don't want to sound dumb but I don't know what a grinding sound is like? Is it a loud noise? Could anyone describe how the grinding noise sounds like? Many Many Thanks!
Old 10-25-2005, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's not really a grinding noise..sorry didn't mean to cause confusion. It's more of a crunch feeling and only does it once in the morning from a cold start...then the rest of the day it's totally fine...i can go somedays where it wont do it at all HA! go figure...and 2nd gear is the only gear it does it in.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

You guys really make me worry
Old 10-25-2005, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tc_wannabe
Why? its not all 5 speed trannys that are having problems. Is yours acting up too?
Old 10-25-2005, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay so i fnally got my car back..they had it for two and a half weeks. they ended up changing the third gear syncros and the whole entire hub...havnt had a problem since and i've had it back for a week now...shifts are even a little bit smoother. it was all covered in the warrenty. i got an 06 camry to drive around wich i might add...was very dull and boring. other than the tranny grinding i havnt had any miles..just hit 16000.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gwtc
Why? its not all 5 speed trannys that are having problems. Is yours acting up too?
I am worry because I am a complete newbie to 5 speed, I don't even know what grinding sound is like..

is it like a loud metal "grrrrrrrrrrrrrrzzzzzzzzzzz" sound? Please help me out..
Old 10-26-2005, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HAA!!! grrzzzz it's like JSHIUSEHTIUSHFS just like that it sounds horrible..you will know what it is when it happens. It's bound to happen at least once or twice.

but this sound i found out today while driving home isnt a grinding it's like a click feeling..WIERD I DUNNO!
Old 10-26-2005, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcBlue
Originally Posted by gwtc
I am worry because I am a complete newbie to 5 speed, I don't even know what grinding sound is like..

is it like a loud metal "grrrrrrrrrrrrrrzzzzzzzzzzz" sound? Please help me out..
Oh ok, well, here's how mine was, 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4rth went in smoothly, but 5th gear for some reason would grind(no matter how slow or how fast I would put the gear in), not only could you hear it, I could also feal it. Like someone said before, you'll know when it grinds, its a very distinct sound. So if you are hearing any weird noises when you shift, then i would take it into the dealer, hope that helps.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haa~ Thanks scoobyroo2002 !
I guess our TC is just too quite, I really can't hear any horribel noise (yet) :D

Thanks gwtc too! I will try to pay more attention when I shift tomorrow.

Thanks everyone
Old 10-26-2005, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HA! ya no terrible grinding noise believe me i have heard that before and almost cried HA! it's a wierd click noise that's all..i can live with it HA!
Old 10-27-2005, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Toine
My 3rd is grinding too on up-shift and down-shift at 18.000 miles
oops... didn't see I posted that in the tC forum... sorry!

Quick Reply: grinding into third...