Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

HARD water spots!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 04:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default HARD water spots!!!

Please help. I have extremely mineralized hard water spots on my car from sprinklers in my apartment. I got it off of the body pretty good, but not the windows. I did a search and found and tried the following:

Vinegar
Clay Bar
Cleaner Wax
Distilled Water
Various Glass Cleaners

While the above solutions did help, I still have very spotty glass. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

(somebody told me to use chrome polish, but i am hesitant...?)

Namaste
Old 05-22-2009, 06:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

i would try CLR (calcium, limescale, rust) cleaner. it dissolves limescale and mineral deposits. try not to get it onto your paint because i dont know what that will do to it. the cleaner is usually for bathroom and in home use but i dont see why it wouldnt work in this situation.

it worked wonders on my shower's glass doors. i thought they were frosted glass doors but after cleaning them with the CLR stuff i found out they were actually clear!

i would wet a rag with the cleaner or sponge and let it sit on top of the roof glass for few minutes then wipe it off with another rag wet with water.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

x2 on the CLR. but if you can't find that "lime away" might do the job for ya too.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Ok here is what I use........it is all I use and it works.

www.Griots.com

Buy their glass polish,wipe on windows in a small area of like 1 sq ft at a time not in circles.if you have a small buffer like a 3" one it goes even quicker.wipe off and spots are gone like new windshield.

LIve in Washington where it rains 300 days a year and it is all we use.......they will ship and their other products are some of the best as well,the Best of show wax is awsome,their polishes are awsome,the interior cleaners are the best I have ever used and their tire cleaner rocks as well.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

rain-x

my sun roof glass gets really bad sometimes, it almost looks like the water spots are etched into the glass. rain-x does the trick and it keeps them nice for a few weeks. i actually treat every piece of glass on my car with rain-x every 2 months or so.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you might want to run a blackle search for more info/details, but i am told #0000 steel wool (super fine or finer) and a cleaner wax (as a lube) works well. GENTLY use a circular motion and buff clean.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

are you cleaning them in the shade? or at night? id assume the glass needs to be cool. I washed mine the other day and the roof started smoking when the water hit it, i realized that made bad water spots real quick. so off to the shade i went.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

Originally Posted by BZinn1
Ok here is what I use........it is all I use and it works.

www.Griots.com
I love griots... a little pricey for some of the things but its amazing. Also try www.autopia-carcare.com/
Old 05-23-2009, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

yeah Griots can be spendy on some stuff,but like the bottleof wax I got 18months ago still is half full,and i put on 3 coats each time for shows cause I strip it down to clean each time,the polish now that stuff goes quickly,and their show and shine is awsome but goes fast too..
Old 05-23-2009, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by kevin091988
are you cleaning them in the shade? or at night? id assume the glass needs to be cool. I washed mine the other day and the roof started smoking when the water hit it, i realized that made bad water spots real quick. so off to the shade i went.
Yeah, I always clean in the shade. The spots are from parking by sprinklers in my apartment (which I no longer park near, but am still stuck with the scars from when I did).

I tried the CLR. It worked better than anything I tried before it. But I still have some spotting.

Thanks for the help, friends. I appreciate it.

Steel wool, huh? Hmmm...
Old 05-23-2009, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

telling you Griots glass polish,takes it all off to brand new glass,that wiper line you have when you spray glass cleaner on the windshield will even be gone,takes about an hour to do all the glass on car and it is like new,and it also does not get the spots as bad after doing it.

Steel wool is not gonna do much short of screw up the glass over time........it will work,but it is not the right way to do it.