Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-owners-lounge-1605/)
-   -   Has anyone fixed the rattles on their tC's yet? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-owners-lounge-1605/has-anyone-fixed-rattles-their-tcs-yet-106452/)

redwing634 06-28-2007 08:42 PM

Has anyone fixed the rattles on their tC's yet?

Since it seems like everyone has issues with their tCs rattling... has anyone found a way to eliminate these rattles, or at least some of them? From what I've read, the dealers dont really do much, so are there any "homemade" ways to fix them?

still trying to decide if I want to get a tC... the rattling is the only thing thats making me uneasy.

1tC2NV 06-28-2007 09:16 PM

I added 2 12" subs to my tC & I don't hear a sigle rattle... OR anything else for that matter! :rofl:

theojh 06-28-2007 09:47 PM

what?

1tC2NV 06-28-2007 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by theojh
what?

I thought what I posted was pretty easy to understand.

theojh 06-28-2007 10:15 PM

It was. I was trying to be funny. :(

snarcher 06-28-2007 10:26 PM

gosh have you test driven one? its not like its got marracas hanging from the ceiling, its just some random bumps yo hit might make a little chirp in the back, which is easily fixable if anyone brings it to wa dealership

b_wet 06-28-2007 10:31 PM

dealerships have a bullitin on it. thats how i got mine fixed.

Yanki01 06-28-2007 11:10 PM

i found that its my rear passanger glass on top thats tapping something metal. I plan on taking it to the dealer next week to get it fixed. its making me crazy! its not just bumps, if your not on a smooth road, you'll hear it.

amdforever 06-28-2007 11:20 PM

I had the dealership clean the tracks on my sunroof since it got dusty out here and actually activated the jamprotection feature 5 times in one day...now I have a high pitch whistle noise when I'm doing 80 down the highway and the car is hot on the outside from the sun/heat. Like something expands during the day and allows wind to whistle in it, I have no clue where its comeing from other than its right over my head by the windshield...I think they f'ed something up. I know some people have been fixing a few squeaks with 3m foam single and double sided tape. Sounds like it works to me.

10PieceNuggets 06-29-2007 12:20 AM

I still dont know what people mean by rattles, maybe this was fixed on the 08 batches? I have yet to have any rattles on my car, knock on wood. *hopes I didnt just jinx myself*

redwing634 06-29-2007 12:52 AM

yea id be interested to know whether the 2008s have the rattles..

anyone have a 2008 tc that rattles?

theblue 06-29-2007 12:56 AM

my car has no rattles except for the radio door which i fixed with a few strips of tape, but my car is still pretty new-ish.

Kratos 06-29-2007 12:57 AM

when i dropped my headliner to suede it, i placed rubber weatherstripping from lowe's/home depot and under the plastic ribs and on the metal of the roof. That stopped 80% of the rattles. I installed secondskin and ensolite in the trunk and side panels and doors and that was mainly for the road noise, and stopped/muffled about 10% of the other rattles. The rest is from the sunroof creaking and suspension creaking. but it is alot quieter than how it was from the factory.

Djicey702 06-29-2007 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by amdforever
I had the dealership clean the tracks on my sunroof since it got dusty out here and actually activated the jamprotection feature 5 times in one day...now I have a high pitch whistle noise when I'm doing 80 down the highway and the car is hot on the outside from the sun/heat. Like something expands during the day and allows wind to whistle in it, I have no clue where its comeing from other than its right over my head by the windshield...I think they f'ed something up. I know some people have been fixing a few squeaks with 3m foam single and double sided tape. Sounds like it works to me.

The windshield has an upper gasket that just pushes-in, you will have to remove it carefully and use black silicone or RTV to re-secure it. Good Luck!

Matt_Burgess 06-29-2007 01:26 AM

Has anyone had the hood rattle? The passenger side of the hood near the windshield. It drives me crazy! If you grab the corner of the hood and push and pull it, it makes a tapping metal sound.. Anyone?

Spect2K3 06-29-2007 02:14 AM

With my hatch rattle, they did the tsb and that did very little. They are actually ordering some sort of cushions for me to fix the hatch and will be installing em hopefully next week under warranty. I'll let ya know how it goes

paul34 06-29-2007 02:23 AM

First of all, there's no way any '08 owner can say with certainty that rattles have been "fixed." Most of my rattles didn't really start until after 5k...

Anyway, I've got:

2) Panel - dash (bubble, wave), door panel, headliner crease
3) Radio door squeak
4) Hatch glass rattle
5) Tire pressure system

Just from a sticky note on my desktop, thus the weird order. #5 isn't really "warranty" per se, just that they forgot to set it when I bought the car. I could do it myself... but ehh whatever.

Really, though, I don't hear the others 90% of the time. The radio squeak is what persists.

Anyway, I know I can fix it myself too... but anyway, the dealer says that for any "noise or squeak" they'll need to keep the car for a full day/overnight because it takes them a long time. So I said I'll come back later.

Oh, and I have to get some panels swapped out. The guy also said there were a few tCs that came in with the bubbles on the dash, too, so at least I'm not alone.

I also have this weird crease in the headliner, and the headliner is sort of not glued/tight at all in that area either. They told me "well, we could replace it now, but it might happen again due to the sun and stuff... or you can wait until right before the warranty runs out, then we can swap it out"

what do you all think? BS? Is it a good idea? Because if it is sort of a "wear" issue from the sun, then maybe what they're saying is a good idea.

But at the same time, if I come back 2 years later from now, they might just blame the wear on me.

a_german_named_hans 06-29-2007 02:27 AM

No Opening Sun Roof = No rattles for meee... Almost. Sometimes I get the radio door rattle but that's no problem to fix. Either Close the radio door or turn the music up. Also the little plastic handle piece attached to the shades on the roof liner tap something when they're open, been meaning to put some tape on them to suppress them.

HR_Guy 06-29-2007 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by theblue
my car has no rattles except for the radio door which i fixed with a few strips of tape, but my car is still pretty new-ish.

Exact same thing for me. I used some foam tape along the inside and it stopped completely. No other rattles in the last two years.

ScottTc13 06-29-2007 06:17 PM

My sunroof was rattling, dealer fixed it. Also the plastic around the radio would rattle but I just put a little strip on foam insulation behind it and it's good to go.