Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

HELP ME! NEED INSURANCE INFO ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 06:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default HELP ME! NEED INSURANCE INFO ASAP!

My tC is less than 2 weeks away, and i need insurance reccomendations.
I am 19, have had one accident in april 2004, one speeding ticket in june 2003
i live with my 20 year old fiance. she drives a 97 corolla. no record at all.
the car i currently drive is insured under my father, hers under her parents.
im under state farm, and as of october this year they reanalyzed the way they rate drivers. my previous quote was 240. now, it will increase to 330 when we renew in march. obviously unnacceptable. needless to say, it would be the same if not more under my own insurance. under geico, together we were quoted 2200 every 6 months.
if she insured both of the cars herself it will go down to 1300 every 6 months.
i know cars are insured, not the drivers, but what we be some issues if she just insured the cars herself, and i still drive the tc? please help, of course an insurance rep. would never answer me this straight, she would say i need to be on the policy, but thats almost 90 more each month. sorry for the misplaced and lengthy topic, but im going stir crazy not knowing what to do. im positive theres a lot of people that know about this sort of stuff and i would appreciate any detailed responses. thanks.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:57 AM
5 Year Member

You the driver have to insured or you can't drive. Its illegal, and they slap you with like a 600 dollar fine.

P.S.

HOLY SHAT your insurance is low as all hell. My insurance is like 5.4k every 6 months. Either like 5.4 or 5.3k.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

PEOPLE are insured.

For example if you have auto insurance, your liability follows you everywhere. So if you drive a friend's car, you're insured. If you steal a car, you're insured. etc. etc.

If you two live together and you're not on the policy, you are not insured. You would have to be exclusively excluded from the policy and if you don't, a claim would be denied and policy cancelled for lying on your application.

Also, $90 more a month for a high-risk driver like yourself isn't bad at all.

If you live in CA, PM me. (hopefully the kc in kcautotc isn't Kansas City )

There's a very good national insurance company that I can place you with and make that accident non-chargabe, make you married, apply a Good Driver Discount, multi-car discount, persistency discount......

I'm thinking with the little bit of info you've provided, you could easily qualify for...20+15+25+5.....50% or so discount off of their normal premium.

I sell home/boat/auto/etc insurance in CA. If you've seen any other insurance related posts, I'm usually the one responding to them Anyway, hopefully you live in CA and I'll see what I can do.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that accident and ticket is going to hurt you majorly. Im 19 turning 20 in a month and I pay 11xx for 6 months through costco american express. coverage is like 100k/300k/100k. Full coverage. Parents wouldn't let me get anything cheaper saying that if I was in an accident, you don't know whats going to happen, so highest is best. Damn I wish i were a bit older. My parents together pay half of what I pay. Oh yeah, I also have 1 ticket. so you might try them.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:59 PM
Banned
SL Member

This is what you do.....

Put yourself under the oldest crappiest vehicle you own and list your self as the primary driver for that vehicle and the OCCASIONAL driver under what ever car you want to be drive.

This is what my father did for me, he put me under our 1988 F 150 truck since its the oldest vehicle we own, he also put me down under "Liability" to make it even cheaper. As for MY actual car....this tC he listed me as the OCCASIONAL driver and hes listed as the PRIMARY driver but in fact i'm the only driver of this vehicle, that way we save well over 2000+ per 6 months lol.If I ever get in a car accident or something my tC has full coverage and everything and the cop wouldn't know i'm not the actual primary driver...all I have to say is "I took dads car out for a spin this morning" and its totally legal. Insurance companies were quoting me at 1600+ becuase of my age and inexperience.

I hope I helped
Old 11-14-2005, 03:00 PM
Banned
SL Member

I think i'll make a seperate post for all the kids my age since I know their being raped by the insurance companies lol.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I wouldn't just get Liability - you're not covered for collision, medical, etc. Plus on cars with loans out on them, you must have full coverage. Shop around - get quotes, and compare them.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

He got just liability for the 98 truck...not the tC.

Also, your parents are right about the higher limits of liability, but if you're not on their policy, then it's a waste of money to have it. Your parents need it b/c if they don't have enough, their house can be taken from them.

If you don't have enough liability, well, the most that they can do is garnish your wages. If you had limits of 25/50/25, you would be covered for a pretty good amount so long as you don't go running into cars at 60mph and being an idiot.

These are the limits of insurance that I have because I don't own anything and don't plan on causing damage that is that incredibly high...
Old 11-14-2005, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does anybody know somebody in MO that can get me a better rate? thanks
Old 11-14-2005, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have seen some of the most outrageous insurance quotes on scionlife. how can some of you people be paying 3-5k for 6 months. even 3-5k for a year is insane. i would hate to see your records. i am 24 and have 1 speeding ticket in the last 3 years and i pay 960 per year with 1000 deductable. Just curious on what type of record you need to pay 3-5k a year. really curious.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Shoe_Here
i have seen some of the most outrageous insurance quotes on scionlife. how can some of you people be paying 3-5k for 6 months. even 3-5k for a year is insane. i would hate to see your records. i am 24 and have 1 speeding ticket in the last 3 years and i pay 960 per year with 1000 deductable. Just curious on what type of record you need to pay 3-5k a year. really curious.
Actually, when I was about 20 and I lived in New Jersey, for insurance on my 2000 Corolla (it was new), would of been close to 4-5k a year for full coverage and a 500 deductible. I had no record or anything. If I would of stayed under my parents policy (which I did), it was half that amount for a year. In some states they go by your credit score too.

Right now I live in VA and I'm 25 yrs old and i'm paying 700 every 6 months for full coverage for the tC. All my points fell off and my record is clean now. When I first applied for insurance down here, they gave me a high quote. But I later found out that they run your credit score to see how it is and they go by that. If you have a good score, then the rate will not be so high. However, if your credit score is low, then the insurance will be higher. All this and anyones driving record is taken into account. I personally don't agree with the credit rating system in some states. a credit score has nothing to do with insuring a car, IMO.

Also, to kcauto....No insurance company should hold moving violations or accidents against you if its 3 years or older. For instance, a speeding ticket that was given to you in January of 2002 cannot be held against you, they can have it on record, but they can't base the price on that. If it was January of 2004, then yes they can take that into consideration when giving you an estimate. Check different companies for quotes and see if they have any good student discounts or anything.

I know for a fact that you will not be able to have your fiance insure those cars unless her name is on it somewhere. I tried that with my fiance's truck and it was a no go for me. I have to wait until April of 2006 (my doom day) to put my fiance on my insurance. Just shop around, you'll find something affordable.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Where you live is a MAJOR PART OF YOUR PREMIUM.

The same person in Orange County, CA could cost as much as $4000 different than if they lived in LA.

Assume the risk. If you live in the boondocks of Wisconsin where there's not as many people/cars/risk of theft/etc. compared to if you lived in the heart of New York city where theres a bazillion times more the risk, would you charge the same if you were the insurance company?

To Dacubanskillz,

What you said is not true. Different insurance companies have different guidlelines. Just because your insurance company refuses to insure a vehicle in your wife's name doesn't mean x-insurance company won't.

Also, a company can charge however far back they want. We have a very popular/well known insurance company here in the California known as Mercury. They charge the last five years worth of violations. Even seatbelt tickets.

PEOPLE PLEASE DON'T OFFER INSURANCE ADVICE WHEN YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT. NOT ONLY IS IT MISLEADING, BUT IT IS ILLEGAL
Old 11-14-2005, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by dp-_-
Where you live is a MAJOR PART OF YOUR PREMIUM.

The same person in Orange County, CA could cost as much as $4000 different than if they lived in LA.

Assume the risk. If you live in the boondocks of Wisconsin where there's not as many people/cars/risk of theft/etc. compared to if you lived in the heart of New York city where theres a bazillion times more the risk, would you charge the same if you were the insurance company?

To Dacubanskillz,

What you said is not true. Different insurance companies have different guidlelines. Just because your insurance company refuses to insure a vehicle in your wife's name doesn't mean x-insurance company won't.

Also, a company can charge however far back they want. We have a very popular/well known insurance company here in the California known as Mercury. They charge the last five years worth of violations. Even seatbelt tickets.

PEOPLE PLEASE DON'T OFFER INSURANCE ADVICE WHEN YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT. NOT ONLY IS IT MISLEADING, BUT IT IS ILLEGAL
Sorry but thats what I've been told by a few people I know who worked for insurance companies and the ones I've dealt with on the phones when I was shopping around. maybe thats how it is around here but the majority of them do not charge you for something that is older then 3 years. All the insurance companies I've dealt with will LOOK back 5 years but they can only take account for what a person has had in the last 3 years. If that weren't the case, then the last 3-4 insurance companies I was looking at when I got the tC wouldn't have told me the same thing. Now...if an insurance company looks at things MORE serious then speeding tickets or other small violations, then yes they may charge more for that since you may be a risk (DWI, suspended license, etc)

I have yet to find one insurance company around here that will insure my fiance's truck under my name without my name being on the car somehow. And as far as my info being misleading..I wouldn't have posted it if it weren't true. It is true around my way. Is it different in Cali? maybe it is. but that doesn't mean its all a lie.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Preffered insurance companies like Geico, Allstate, 21st Century, etc. etc. will not insure vehicles not owned by the named insured. This is true.

But insurance through other companies, known as "non-standard" allow for "non-standard" people to get insurance just like other people.

Because you call big named companies rather than going to something like a broker (which is very common in CA), who can work with the information that you have and make sure you meet those requirements.

Also, try giving AIG a call (A Standard Nationwide company) and see if you can exclude the registered owner from the policy.

I know for a fact that they will allow it, but you're right about you being in another state. AIG's guidelines in VA may not be the same as they are in CA (they most likely are not)

It can be done, however, I guarantee you.

What makes no sense to me is that if she's on your policy, how can you not add the vehicle. That's like saying, "oh, you bought your son a car? Well, good luck with finding him a new company/our rate with him alone. We would rather not take your/his money because his name is on the title. Have a nice day!"

BTW, this is the exact thing that happened to me when I bought my car and was on my parent's policy Geico happened to be $1400 CHEAPER THAN ALLSTATE (WOW), do I went with them, but if I wanted to sell myself an insurance policy through Traveler's (Citigroup/Citibank owns them) I could have....whether it was my or my father's car.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

no..lol. she's not on my policy. I tried to get her on it with her car. no one would allow that. we're not married yet and I was told by everyone that until then we can't do much.

And around here, we don't have many (if at all) small insurance companies. Back in NJ, There were tons and they were 10x cheaper then any other big name insurance company that still offered services in NJ.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: HELP ME! NEED INSURANCE INFO ASAP!

Originally Posted by kcautotc
My tC is less than 2 weeks away, and i need insurance reccomendations.
I am 19, have had one accident in april 2004, one speeding ticket in june 2003
i live with my 20 year old fiance. she drives a 97 corolla. no record at all.
the car i currently drive is insured under my father, hers under her parents.
im under state farm, and as of october this year they reanalyzed the way they rate drivers. my previous quote was 240. now, it will increase to 330 when we renew in march. obviously unnacceptable. needless to say, it would be the same if not more under my own insurance. under geico, together we were quoted 2200 every 6 months.
if she insured both of the cars herself it will go down to 1300 every 6 months.
i know cars are insured, not the drivers, but what we be some issues if she just insured the cars herself, and i still drive the tc? please help, of course an insurance rep. would never answer me this straight, she would say i need to be on the policy, but thats almost 90 more each month. sorry for the misplaced and lengthy topic, but im going stir crazy not knowing what to do. im positive theres a lot of people that know about this sort of stuff and i would appreciate any detailed responses. thanks.

you have to be insured for every car.. just to give you an idea I pay 323 every 6months for the TC
Old 11-15-2005, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wth is on your record? You live right near me if I recall....I pay about 150 a month o_O
Old 11-15-2005, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member

Don't speed like an idiot...
Old 11-16-2005, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

It varies from different regions, go to regional forum would be better to help u!
Old 11-16-2005, 04:16 AM
5 Year Member

jeez people, why try to cheat the insurance companies and sneak around "primary" and "occasional" driver distinction? your insurance is extremely important...not just for you, but for the drivers around you. the last thing you want is to be in an accident (whether it's your fault or not) and be underinsured, or worse yet, not insured at all!

on top of full coverage/comprehensive, it's really good to get uninsured motorist coverage as well. That way, you and your tC are covered if the accident is someone else's fault and the driver doesn't have insurance.

i'm 23 and only paying $109 a month for 100/300/100 full coverage AND 100/300/100 uninsured motorist coverage, with a $0 deductible for anything other than collision (theft, flood, hail damage, windshield/glass) and a $500 collision deductible. i've have 1 ticket on my record and even an accident from 2002.

it's not hard to get really good, really reasonable insurance. just shop around and get as many discounts as possible. you can get discounts for good grades, multiple drivers, anti-theft, or buying other insurance from the same company like renter's insurance or life insurance.

Quick Reply: HELP ME! NEED INSURANCE INFO ASAP!