Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

How to get involved with...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:13 PM
SL Member

Default How to get involved with...

racing. I have done quite a bit of reading, and am getting involved with the SCCA. I have a few years of AutoX under my belt, and did very well with 4 first place finishes in my official rookie year. I am interested in seeing what is involved with getting into racing more seriously, I mean every kid dreams of becoming a race car driver ... but I was wondering what the reality of doing so is. Would our tC's be used in some kind of touring? Solo I? Chris Rado for example, what kind of racing is he involved in?
Old 09-11-2007, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm... interesting. *watching* good luck
Old 09-11-2007, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, to get more serious, your going to be spending some considerable $$$. if you want to compete with other cars on the track, your going to need a roll cage first off. and your probably goign to spend alot more money on suspension, wheels, tires, brakes.

your tc might not be a very friendly daily driver anymore.

also, from what i've heard, the tc is really good in the stock "HS" class, but once you start modifying it, other cars like wrx's and evos, and older civics severely outclass you.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

once u actually get ur car race ready ur gonna be competing with evo's and sti's. my friend has a 94 integra ls and he use to auto cross. besides having his suspension he took of his back seat and they placed him in the same class as 350z, evo's, sti's, and i think porches to. if ur seriously thinking about doing this ur gonna have to make ur tc pull out alot of power and get a serious ___ suspension and brakes like draxcaliber had said earlier.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:14 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I autocross mine, and your best bet is staying HS Solo II.
You can run +/- 5 offest, full suspension as long as its the same style as stock. Competition tires (140+ wear rating), and exhuast.
This is where you would be most competitive. I have moved into SM (sometimes they class me as STX), and I am way outclassed. A highly modified tC against a highly modified R32 GTI, or a WRX, is not easy to compete against.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:13 PM
SL Member

Great, thanks for the info guys ... I am knew to LI so I am not sure what the scene is like here. I should be getting my SCCA stuff soon, that will give me a lot more information Im sure.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nick06tC
I autocross mine, and your best bet is staying HS Solo II.
You can run +/- 5 offest, full suspension as long as its the same style as stock. Competition tires (140+ wear rating), and exhuast.
This is where you would be most competitive. I have moved into SM (sometimes they class me as STX), and I am way outclassed. A highly modified tC against a highly modified R32 GTI, or a WRX, is not easy to compete against.
it was funny, at the auto x event i went to, a guy in a tc with similar set up to mine was in the SM class because he had a cf hood, and i was like "oh no! does that mean i should have been in SM instead of STS because of my cf fuel door?"

ofcourse the weight that a cf fuel door shaves off is in ounces rather than pounds.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
it was funny, at the auto x event i went to, a guy in a tc with similar set up to mine was in the SM class because he had a cf hood, and i was like "oh no! does that mean i should have been in SM instead of STS because of my cf fuel door?"

ofcourse the weight that a cf fuel door shaves off is in ounces rather than pounds.
haha you cheated the system! ...
Old 09-13-2007, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, i did run a better time than sapan did that day, and he has everything i do, plus a tuned supercharger, and a cf hood, and a full set of tires he uses ONLY for auto x. i still beat him by about a second. he also ran SM. i ran STS on street tires too. kumho ecsta asx ftw!

however, curtis (the other guy with a cf hood) beat me by a second, and all he has are sways, coilovers, and a cf hood.