Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

How to protect your investment, deeply embedded alarm.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default How to protect your investment, deeply embedded alarm.

I just finished installing a Python 900 (same model available in the Viper line) with pager, window module, digital tilt motion sensor, proximity sensor, horn honk only as more effective than a siren as much louder and ticks people off more so they actually look when it goes off. I also included a nasty little inside siren but no backup battery as I relocated and upgraded to an Odyssey battery that is not easy to find.

All wiring is embedded deep into the factory harness, it is impossibe to get to the brain without taking major parts of the car apart and then has a shield over it with security screws that you have to not only use a special tool but an adaptor that very few people would ever think of carrying.

I wired up a few other trick items to make the car virtually not possible to steal except if towed then it will honk for hours on end and be very very difficult to ever start again;) It would have to be stripped for them to get anything of value out of it, which will be quite a bit, why I am so **** about the alarm install.

I happen to have an extra 900 new in the box;)
And a remote start kit, two extra sirens and one electro illuminesent flashing alarm indicator pad.

Rick
Old 07-16-2005, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member

Scion Noics
SL Member

Did you have trouble wiring the window modules with the auto up/down windows? I used to install Vipers so I was just curious....
Old 07-16-2005, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is the only part I have not hooked up yet, just to busy to get back to it, the wires are pulled into the doors, using the factory speaker wires to run the signals from the module through the stock harness to the kick panels. just had to install new speakers wires from the amps in the rear to the doors then a small pair for the controls.

I am a bit concerned with the operation, a few things on this alarm were interesting to figure out.

Rick
Old 07-16-2005, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Theoretically couldn't someone break into your car, causing the alarm to go off, pop the hood, and disconnect the horn?
Old 07-16-2005, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sure, if they can find the horns ;)

Even the alarm fuses are going to fool them

Rick
Old 07-16-2005, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how much??
Old 07-17-2005, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Please check the classifieds

Rick
Old 07-17-2005, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good job, I embedded mine in my center console so in order to get to the brain, they'd have to rip open my console. However i retrospect, it's still just as easy to break in a car. Honestly, you and i have the right kind of alarm (two way paging), so at least you will get a page before they either A) Clip your 12 volt, or B) pull out your fuse. And battery backup = excellent. Most overlook that and get their car broken into, and the theives have the alarm disabled in a few secounds.

Proximity sensor.. well i don't see much use for that in a coupe/hatchback. Also, make sure your alarm is set off by trunk. Most alarm shops just tie into door triggers, which in actuality won't pick up on the trunk being opened. It's called "trunk protection" and most shops charge a few bucks extra for that.

Also, if you want to go real all out, get a mini piezo isntalled. They are pain inducing so when the alarm is going off the siren, which is inside the car, emits a painful noise. it's a nice deterrant once they're in (OH MAN F*CK THIS, THIS HURTS).

In the end, if someone really wants your car, they're going to get it one way or the other. I generally recommend at the least just get a 2-way paging alarm and make sure it's apparent you have an alarm. I personally have a scanner led which pulsates left to right when my car is armed. It's pretty cool looking too. Now, as far as if it's a deterrant or an attracter is yet to be determined, but I'm confident I won't have to worry about that.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great post, right on the money

I have hidden power to my whole car really, no battery to find, different source feeding the critical elements, covered in that department, do not need a backup battery that way.

I will be at alot of places where I want that extra bit of protection, like on the road to shows in motels, etc. Normally I do not like prox sensors but this is something I have a need for.

Trunk is hooked up

No need for a hood pin, prox sensor is tuned to cover that area really well, nothing there to undo anyway, no horns to clip, no battery to disconnect Ok, I have not moved the battery just yet but it will be done as soon as I can find some more time, many other mods recieving attention right now. The car will not be out of our control until the rest of the security is completed, 90% done now.

I have a very bright LED and an interior siren, well hidden but painfully loud if your face it to close to the wrong place in the car it will be even worse

Looks like we think quite abit alike!

One note of recommendation, if you notice, I have not stated online where exactly any part of my alarm is located, even if known it would be very difficult to get to it;)

Rick
Old 07-17-2005, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

couldn't they just cut the battery wiring? and then cut the horn wires....then tow the car