2005-2010 [ANT10]

I finally had an accident...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default I finally had an accident...

I was getting off the interstate and was going to merge with traffic. If you are turning right, there is no yield sign, just a merge sign. Well.. the person in front of the person in front of me suddenly stopped, forcing the girl in front of me to stop, and i was checking traffic to make sure it was going to be clear to merge... looked back.. bam.

What do you guys think..? I got it home okay but I don't think she's drivable at this point.

I'm so ____ed off in that it was probably my fault, but there wasn't a damn yield sign, so why was that damn car yielding!?!

Thankfully, no one was hurt... the girl in front of me wasn't mad, the car she had was a rental. It had practically nothing wrong to it. I cannot say the same...

10-22-05 to 10-24-08.
Edit/Delete Message[/img]
Old 10-24-2008, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ouch Wait, you drove it home? That's crazy.. I know technically the person that rear ends the car infront of them is at fault, but I'm not sure it that applies to your situation since it was a non-yielding type of deal..
Old 10-24-2008, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not saying that it is your fault but this is going to be seen as your fault no matter what.. if the girl that you hit is a real _____, she can say you were following too close.. think about it.. who are they going to believe?

not trying to sound like an _______ but I was in a 3 car accident with my previous car.. there was an old lady that cut me off and gave me the finger on the highway (i95 north/exit 2 cause I was going 55 (speed limit). so I started tailgating her for a couple of secs and bam! she slams on the brakes and i had to do the same but i didnt hit her until the guy behind me, which wasnt even tailgating me, hit me. guess who's fault this was? the guy behind me..

i wouldnt even try to go further with this issue. the person infront of the girl was "yiedling" correct? how come she didnt slam into the first car?

glad your ok tho! what car are you getting next?
Old 10-24-2008, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I don't know... do you think it's a total?

No, she completely agreed that the girl in front of her shouldn't have stopped, and she said she almost hit her as well..
Old 10-24-2008, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sucks man
Old 10-24-2008, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I doubt that it's totaled, but it may be. Looks like a regular fender bender. Hood, front bumper, fender, head light, grills, maybe some tweaking of the radiator support or a new one.

Air bags go off?
Old 10-24-2008, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did everyone exchange numbers?
Old 10-24-2008, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

yeah, we got all the info. police were there to file a report. i called my ins. company and am just waiting for the adjuster to get ahold of me.

no air bags. i'm kind of surprised they didn't...
Old 10-24-2008, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought this thread was going to be about you taking a dump in your pants or something.
(I keed I keed.)

Glad you weren't hurt man. People in my city DO NOT know how drive in the round-abouts. They
are supposed to yield but just drive on through. JERKS!! I hope it all works out ok for you.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Wow! That's looks bad, glad you alright though...
Old 10-24-2008, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Part out time dibs on everything! lol jk Really sorry to see that. I've got an 06 NBM too so it looks even worse to me. And yeah it ____es me off when there is like a 1/8 mile lane after a turn so you can merge and people stop at the corner. Dumb ___ drivers...
Old 10-25-2008, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know if it is totaled or not. I've seen a lot worse get back on the road. It'll all depend on the NADA value.

As for fault - bad news.
Yours was without a doubt the most common accident scenario I dealt with while an adjuster. I'd say somewhere north of 60%.
You will be found at fault unless the person who stopped short will openly admit fault and pay out of pocket for the damages - because even then her insurance will not pay.
Just be glad you didn't get a ticket.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by landark
I don't know if it is totaled or not. I've seen a lot worse get back on the road. It'll all depend on the NADA value.

As for fault - bad news.
Yours was without a doubt the most common accident scenario I dealt with while an adjuster. I'd say somewhere north of 60%.
You will be found at fault unless the person who stopped short will openly admit fault and pay out of pocket for the damages - because even then her insurance will not pay.
Just be glad you didn't get a ticket.
yea thats what im trying to tell him.. i would try to get a hold of that person in the first car.. just to see what they have to say.. if that goes wrong, you might just end up getting a "following too close" ticket.. these aint nice.. it's a moving violation.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

the person in the first car didn't even stick around. they probably had no idea what had happened.

The officer who took all the information didn't mention anything about following too close. This intersection is known for accidents like this because of drivers not knowing that they are not supposed to yield there. I just so happened to be checking the oncoming traffic to prepare to merge when it happened.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

sucks man, the same exact thing happened to me but we were barely rolling because it was a yield intersection, the bmw in front of me stopped so i did too, then there was an opening so we both started to go, and for some unknown reason, they decided to stop...i was looking for merge opportunities as well since i had to get 3 lanes over as soon as i merged...it sucked, but it was in my cavalier. good thing the girl in front was cool about it. the guy in the bmw was a dick.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Sucks Dude. people do this crap all the time out here in Seattle. I see more accidents then i did in Cali and i thought Cali was bad. This sucks to here. Hope its not to bad on your pockets.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hyghgynx
I thought this thread was going to be about you taking a dump in your pants or something.
(I keed I keed.)

Glad you weren't hurt man. People in my city DO NOT know how drive in the round-abouts. They
are supposed to yield but just drive on through. JERKS!! I hope it all works out ok for you.
i HATE round-abouts.
people are stupid, they never yield. or people in the circle yield for others.
DUDE WTF LOOK AT THE SIGNS.
i drift that ____.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

You're saying that there was no yield sign there, just a merge sign. Was it a 'merge into a traffic lane' sign or a 'not really a merge into traffic, but you get your own traffic lane' merge sign?

I definitely didn't explain that well... look at this picture. Is it W4-1 or W4-3? If it's W4-1, yielding is still valid if the traffic doesn't allow her to enter the lane.

But, like others have said, no matter what, it's your fault. If your eyes are looking in front of you and if you're not tailgating, even if the person in front of you slams on their brakes, you should be able to stop before hitting them.

I was actually in a similar incident - I was at an intersection that has a turning lane with a yield sign, but it was a "merge" like W4-3, so no one ever actually yields there. So, there was a car in front of me that got scared by a Guzzler truck going down the road and she yielded... I didn't see that as I was looking at the traffic coming to make sure it would be safe for me to go and enter the middle lane, so was I turned forward again and saw her just a few feet in front of me *insert "OH ____!!!" face*, I slammed on the brakes and hit her (felt like I hit her pretty hard, but no damage on either car except my poor license plate taking a little more beating). When we pulled over in a safe location and started talking, she kept apologizing for braking "Oh, I'm so sorry, I knew I shouldn't have braked there, but the truck scared me!" I just looked at her and was like "... ok... don't worry about it... we're all fine and the cars are fine... have a lovely night..." The girl looked like she was about 19 and I felt bad - I was thinking I should have told her to A) never apologize or admit fault in an accident and B) it wasn't your fault to admit!
Old 10-25-2008, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's fine, I'm sure she was cute It's hard to get mad at a cute girl regardless of their driving habits...
Old 10-25-2008, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Yeah, it's a W4-3. We have a lane to use to merge with.

Quick Reply: I finally had an accident...