Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

I found a HUGE flaw in our vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only way it seems this could happen is if you took it out of gear without pressing the clutch, then do what you said "press resume". Im going to try this and see what happens.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kytc
Originally Posted by tcBlue
Mumm... I cannot active the cruise control unless my speed is 45 or above. I tried to active the cruise control while I am on 2nd gear, no luck.....
I thought with Toyota's it was 20mph for the cruise? Can anyone verify or correct?
It's 25mph.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 06SuperWhite_SoCal_tC
The only way it seems this could happen is if you took it out of gear without pressing the clutch, then do what you said "press resume". Im going to try this and see what happens.
go 65 in cruise...then pull the cruise stick to you to cancel the cruise. Now put the car in neutral by pressing the clutch in and then hit the cruise stick up (to resume) thats what I did.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
The REAL answer is, "we don't know."
That sums it up.

JOe
Old 06-14-2006, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mumm... I cannot active the cruise control unless my speed is 45 or above. I tried to active the cruise control while I am on 2nd gear, no luck.....
I thought with Toyota's it was 20mph for the cruise? Can anyone verify or correct?
It's 25mph.
I knew it was one or the other
Old 06-14-2006, 12:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

It's 25mph.
Yea, when I go to my parent's house, I have to drive on a mile and a half of gravel So in order to reduce the possibility of rock chips and dust getting kicked up, I shift into third and set the cruise at 25. I have tried going slower, but if you try to decel 1mph with the cruise at 25, it automatically turns cruise off.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just spoke to a toyota mechanic and it should not do that because it is in neutral
Old 06-14-2006, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is no way for a manual car to know if its in gear or neutral. I dont believe many or if any cars from factory can determine that or else remote start on manual transmissions would not be so taboo.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DonJuan
There is no way for a manual car to know if its in gear or neutral. I dont believe many or if any cars from factory can determine that or else remote start on manual transmissions would not be so taboo.
That is not true. Then tell me why my other car could not rev past 4k when in neutral
Old 06-14-2006, 02:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

On cars with a lower rev limit in neutral, I believe the computer looks at road speed & engine rpm to guess whether you're in neutral or not. I don't believe (m)any cars have a physical sensor on the manual transmission to tell if it's in neutral or not (like a motorcycle does). I could be wrong though.

I would assume cost and the target market for the tC were among the reasons why it doesn't have this feature.

As DonJuan said, remote starts are shaky ground on manuals because if the neutral check does exist on a vehicle, it's all internal to the car's computer and no use to an aftermarket system.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JocoJef
Originally Posted by DonJuan
That is not true. Then tell me why my other car could not rev past 4k when in neutral
Couldn't tell you why your car does that since I dont know what your other car is.. what was done to the other car... have you owned your other car since it rolled off the dealership lot? Dont get me wrong I did not say with 100% certanity cars can not determine which gear they are in. I've driven many manual cars being a manager in valet and to date I have not come across a manual car that knew which gear it was in. Im also saying this from research I have done to safely do remote start on my manual tc without bypassing the neutral safety switch. Since bypassing the neutral safety switch would cause my cruise control not to work.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was thinking last night.... I know some cars dont let you rev past a certain RPM in neutral. A car that comes to mind is RSX-S which limits to 4 or 5 K (dont remember exactly) when t he car is in neutral.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry, my other car was a Saturn SL2. For a remote start you do not need to bypass a neural saftey switch just the clutch at the time of start up. Your cruise would still work after that. It all depends where you connect it on your ignition switch.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
While slowing, in gear, with your foot off the gas, the ECU supposedly cuts off fuel to the engine (doesn't fire the injectors), so zero fuel is being used. The forward motion of the vehicle (inertia) is supplying the energy to keep the engine turning.

When idling with the clutch in or while in neutral, enough fuel has to be added to keep the engine turning.

P.S. Never 'resume' the cruise control with the transmission out of gear...
He's correct guys so please agree with him

Most cars disengage the cruise when you depress the clutch too, not only when you hit the brake. Maybe the tC doesn't have the feature. Another possible reason to the author of this thread is; did you pull the tranny out of gear without depressing the clutch? That would for sure result in the same issue you had. That's also a baaad thing to do.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Learn how to use cruise control, lol.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DouBLeJ16
Learn how to use cruise control, lol.
I know how to use cruise control. This was found by mistake. Dezod, I was using cruise and hit the cancel button on the cruise (pulling back on the stick) pressed the clutch and then shifted it into neutral, I was still coasting at 55+mph. I went to turn the cruise off but accidently pushed the stick up (resuming cruise control) and that sent my rpm's to red line.

I just got back from Toyota, they said they are going to try to do this to another car and see if it gets the same results.

On the way to Toyota I was able to replicate this problem, but this time I caught the rpm's at 4k

Mechanic confirmed it was a flaw in the system as well. Only answer for right now is "Well you know about it now, just don't do it"
Old 06-14-2006, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your not supposed to have cruise control on when in N.

If you want the added decrease in speed for not being in a D gear then:

Turn off CC
Shift into N

to get back in,
shift into gear and then reengage cruise control.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FYI, your engine wont "go boom" by bouncing off the rev limiter. The rev limiter is there specifically there to keep from damaging the engine by over revving. This seems like an isoalted issue that didnt and wont cause any problems for anybody in the future even if it is accidentally replicated. Whats the big fuss?
Old 06-15-2006, 01:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Thermalzeal
Your not supposed to have cruise control on when in N.

If you want the added decrease in speed for not being in a D gear then:

Turn off CC
Shift into N

to get back in,
shift into gear and then reengage cruise control.
I know how to use cruise control, I found this out by mistake.

Originally Posted by The_Instigator
FYI, your engine wont "go boom" by bouncing off the rev limiter. The rev limiter is there specifically there to keep from damaging the engine by over revving. This seems like an isoalted issue that didnt and wont cause any problems for anybody in the future even if it is accidentally replicated. Whats the big fuss?
If the motor keeps hitting the fuel cut off several times in a row damage will occur, this came right out of the mouth of the mechanic. Also, keep in mind people freeze from situations and this could do a lot of damage and even "boom" to the motor if allowed to keep trying to accelerate
Old 06-15-2006, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They should program the ECU to turn off the cruise control if the motor bounces off the rev limiter. problem would be solved.

Quick Reply: I found a HUGE flaw in our vehicle