Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

I love my TC, but wish it had.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 03:49 AM

Default I love my TC, but wish it had.....

I had my tc for 2 years now, love it to death.....Mines an auto, so i wish that just like almost every other car on the market it had triptronic with it. It kind of doesnt make sense to not include. I was looking at the new GTI's and VW's new DSG, its pretty sick. The DSG auto GTI is faster than the MAnual 6 speed GTi. That is sick.....have the convienience of auto and still be faster than a manual version.....who would of ever thought this day would come?
Old 07-02-2007, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the tiptronic, shiftronic feature would be a nice addition for sure
Old 07-02-2007, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey i must agree with you on this. It should come standard on all Autos i think. It is pretty cool having those options together but standard Manual trans aren't going anywhere anytime soon because they are fun to drive. But yes, it should be included in the autos since most cars are doing this now. The camry has it, the lancer, gti, etc. Most cars have this option now and even the new XB and XD have it standard on Autos. We'll be seeing it soon.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

makes absolutely no sense to me. if you want to shift, buy a manual, if you don't, get an automatic.

now, if you want a manual but aren't coordinated enough to operate a clutch or figure out which gear your supposed to be in or have trouble with first, get a tiptronic and become a poseur.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love America. You can't put a manual in P while waiting on your Big Mac!
Old 07-02-2007, 04:09 AM

It has nothing to do with wanting to shift man...its having the option to do it, and having the option to be lazy....driving a stick becomes a pain is the ___, especial in the city....and like i said, the DSG GTI is faster than a manual, hasnt that been the "stick lovers" argument for ever now? I was shocked when i seen this, i dont know if anyone else is....anyways, ill just bu a gti too. problem solved.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

can you even assume how much money it would be to fix the tranny on the new gti? i mean it has TWO clutches.

also, im with drax, if you wanted to shift, get a manual, i think tiptronics, shiftronics, or whatever they call them are pretty dumb, because in the end the computer will still override what you are doing if it feels necessary.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:16 AM

Exactly, it has 2 clutches, meaning both wont mess up , only one will (most likely), and you will only need to fix/replace one and not the other..........Face it, DSG is sick....i was a big supporter of japanese cars over german, but with this new shi*, its tough to argue against....i work valet so i test drive alot of cars....and this thing is SICK, you gotta try it to believe it....
Old 07-02-2007, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the tiptronic thingy w/e is for women i met the guy who invented it and thats wut he told me ! plus no clutch to pop in auto BLAH stick shiftin FTW!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-02-2007, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the manuals argument is that more power gets to the wheels because automatic transmissions lose more power than manuals, and we also enjoy having complete control over the car. i have a five speed tc, love it to death. soemtimes i get to drive my parents cars, a turbocharged subaru legacy 2.5 gt, and a porsche cayenne s. both have tiptronic transmissions, both can easily blow the doors off my tc, but i seriously find tiptronic over rated, it is nowwhere near as fun as having a clutch and finding the right gear.

also, having the ability to choose gears with tiptronics is a complete lie, you don't choose a gear, you ask and if the computer agrees, then it will up/down shift for you. and in most cases, if will wait for you to tell it to upshift before upshifting on its own when you are redlining it, or going too slow for a gear. the car is still on complete control of everything, but now it sometimes listens to your requests.

it takes no still to drive an automatic, dsg tiptronic whatever. not everybody can drive manual and not all of them can do it well.

also, tiptronic is just more things to go wrong. my dads porsche went through a transmission at 24 thousand miles. he only drives it when conditions prevent him from driving one of his corvettes.

i've driven autos, tiptronics and manuals, i'm sticking with manuals. to be like "oh, well, the dsg is faster!" whoop dee do, here is why that doesn't impress me. you jump into your dsg equiped gti, and set a 1/4 mile time of whatever. well, i get some kid who has never driven a car before in their life to sit behind the wheel, punch the gas pedal and make the same 1/4 mile, maybe even faster because he weighs less than you would, and what would you have to say for yourself?

i can drive a car as well anybody who has the key and sits behind the wheel because the car does everything for me, i bring nothing to the table.

now autos have their place on the road with manauls for people who maybe have bad legs and can't work a clutch, or whatever, but seriously, if you can properly drive a manual, you never want to go back to driving a auto, and tiptronics don't come even close to the satisfaction of revving up and slamming gears.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:22 AM

Will you ppl chill out with the women comments??? Everyone knows how to drive stick, wats the big deal if you have a clutch or not.....i agree that with the older tiptronic systems they werent good, and they shifted wayyyy to late......but with VW new DSG this is not the case.........let me freakin repeat this one more time...........

VW GTI DSG auto- 0 to 60 in 6.9 seconds
VW GTI Manual- 0 to 60 in 7.0 seconds....

this is a first if i recall...auto vs stick on same car,,.....stick has always been faster....BY at least .2 to .5 seconds on the same car...
Old 07-02-2007, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, how about this, you take that vee dub, and want to put down more horsepower, well, all they have to do on the manaul is replace one clutch, dsg guys get to pay for two? yippee!
Old 07-02-2007, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I won't argue that, but it's the same as drax said. I'd prefer to credit my driving, not my wallet.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:28 AM

Drax, bro your talking without really test driving one..........the response is unbelievable awesome on the DSG's.....and NO not everyone can jus push the gas pedal to the ground and have the same time.....because feeling and hearing the car and shifting at the right moment----whether it be manual or DSG, will determine your time........and you say that manuals lose less power than an auto, well obviously that is not the case with the new gti's, and unless the cars are pushing up over 300 hp, you will not notice a difference between them.....esp a auto tc vs stick.....theres AT MOST a 10 hp difference between them, but prob less....
Old 07-02-2007, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would have alot more fun in that 0.1 seconds in the stick then i would in the auto no doubt.

nothing like going into a turn entry in 3rd gear bouncing off the revlimiter, then shifting into 4th when you finally exit.. unlike in an auto/tiptronic where it wont let you bounce off.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:35 AM

Again, you guys are speaking wihtout experience....the only thing that a manual has over auto now is when coming off reverse.....much fast with stick....
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zebman
I love America. You can't put a manual in P while waiting on your Big Mac!
uhh.. ok? then we put it in Neutral. How hard is that?

and the most comment ive heard is - if you know how to drive a stick, you already know how to drive an Auto.
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, auto tc's loose 10 hp and go through the 1/4 mile a second slower. 318 tc swapped his turbo tc from auto to a manual and took two seconds off his 1/4 mile time.

now then, these 1/4 mile times were they taken with the dsg in auto or sport shift mode? i don't see much of a difference, the auto upshifts at the peak rpm shift point programmed into it, which would be about the redline. can you do this faster than a computer?

also, with manauls and 1/4 mile time, we actually have to develop techniques for hooking up in the first place. .

if i want to push a button to up and down shift, i can play every racing video game ever made. but i prefer the real thing.

the only really good thing about autos is that they don't loose boost when shifting. i don't know if this is true for dsg's but that is about all autos have going for them.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:40 AM

This is turning into an argument about A PREFERENCE......this is not wat i meant for it to be.....all im saying is that now people who want the convenience of an auto can have it, and when have the same exact power if not more than the same car equip with manual..........thats all.........now whether you prefer a clutch, or a push of a abutton, the fact is that NOW they are equal in terms of power.....or should i say stick is .1 slower........THE END
Old 07-02-2007, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think you can say that one is better than the other. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Tiptronic is good because you can always switch to auto and not worry about anything. Stick shift is good because it lets you know that you are really in command of the car, not some computer. With that said, I have to say that every car I have owned was a stick shift and I will not switch to anything else, even if it is .1 sec faster. It is hands down the funnest to drive and keeps me from becoming a zombie when i'm behind the wheel.

Quick Reply: I love my TC, but wish it had.....