Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

If there was 1 or 2 things ya could change...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

if it had to be something major, i would like for it to be RWD...for one, it's a hatch, so there isn't going to be a lot of weight in the rear, so why not make it a RWD car for the drifting peeps
Old 03-02-2004, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by onemorescion
if it had to be something major, i would like for it to be RWD...for one, it's a hatch, so there isn't going to be a lot of weight in the rear, so why not make it a RWD car for the drifting peeps
I would want a nice RWD coupe a la the previous MR2 just as much as the next guy, but then you'd be talking about a totally different vehicle. I love RWD like nothing else. Making the tC RWD probably would have pushed the price up by less than $1000, but that's not the point. A $20K RWD coupe with those features would have a waiting list years long. They would have to price it in the hot bracket, which is currently around $29K and contains cars like the RX-8, Z, S2K, and G35c. And that would be a problem.

The concept of Scion doesn't really have provisions for a performance RWD coupe. Jim Farely even stated that the number of Scion customers or potential customers who would want 'real' performance (i.e. RWD, etc.) are very small in number. He said they won't be totally ignored, but they won't exactly be catered to.

Remember, those of us who want RWD are truly a minority of the Scion population. Most teens/younger people who buy a tC are buying for the features, looks, and price. They could care less about driveline layout. And again, that's the concept. Great, affordable cars.

To my knowledge, Toyota does not have a RWD platform that could have been readily adapted to do service in a vehicle like the tC. So even though I don't care much for FWD, I think Toyota did us a service by using the Avensis platform.

Furthermore, I think the tC is going to be Scion's "halo" car for a few years, so don't expect any products that are going to handily top it.

What can we expect? Not sure.

-They're not going to base anything on the IS or MR2 (which are some of their smallest, most affordable RWD platforms).
-Don't see anything truck-based in their future.
-Maybe a wagon/5dr-hatch like the Caldina? Hmmm, they'd really have to strip it down to make it affordable here. No AWD or turbo.
-Sedan? What could they possibly use? Corolla would be no good (unless it's the sport hatch they sell overseas), maybe the Avensis?
-Probably something that's already in use in Japan or Europe, just like all 3 current Scion models.

Should be interesting to see what they come up with, but unless it's RWD, I don't think it will top the tC...
Old 03-02-2004, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by CofCtC
Being realistic...

The only other thing I would ask for are factory HIDs. I would glady pay an extra $500 in addition to whatever price they announce.
ditto

...and steering wheel audio controls
Old 03-15-2004, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member

im going with unrealii on this one... audio steering wheel controls would rock and an power driver's seat!! (i can still hope) that and probably change the design of the backtail lights... for some reason it reminds me way too much of the saturn ion
Old 03-16-2004, 09:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

RWD.... RWD RWD RWD... If the RX-8 was the tC and the 8 had a hatch plus about 40 lbs torque... I'd be driving a zoom zoom :D I don't care about the weight since I plan on putting about 400 lbs more into it with audio (LOTS and LOTS of audio)

But with the all glass roof... So we have to buy more rain-x or windex now?
Old 03-16-2004, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

We may get steering wheel mounder audio controls as an option. Remember the images we are seeing now of the car are from a hand built pre-production model. They don't even have the cruise control on the wheel that comes standard with the car.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

We may get steering wheel mounder audio controls as an option. Remember the images we are seeing now of the car are from a hand built pre-production model. They don't even have the cruise control on the wheel that comes standard with the car.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 03-16-2004, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I usually drive at the spokes, any buttons put there would hinder my drive a lot... It's not conventional but you get a much better grip driving with the spoke of the wheel vs the 10 and 2 position... I really can't stand a bulky wheel since it obstructs your view of the dash meters... You also have to know that maybe half if not more people would swap out the stock deck anyways which leaves someone with a steering wheel full of buttons and no function... That is just money wasted for the average Joe who boght the car for other reasons...
Old 03-16-2004, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member

Default Well... lest see...

Number 1 thing on my mind is FOG LIGHTS. I guess they will be a deal installed option, but I would love it if they were standart.
A standart Sub, just an 8 inch unit for a nice low end is all i ask.
Stability control from the Xb
Shiftable automatic
low insurance rates :D
does this think have side and/or curtain airbags? If no, that I would love both
that it for now
Old 03-17-2004, 03:22 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by KAuss
I usually drive at the spokes, any buttons put there would hinder my drive a lot... It's not conventional but you get a much better grip driving with the spoke of the wheel vs the 10 and 2 position... I really can't stand a bulky wheel since it obstructs your view of the dash meters... You also have to know that maybe half if not more people would swap out the stock deck anyways which leaves someone with a steering wheel full of buttons and no function...
My dad's 01 maxima has the buttons in a great spot. Since its a 4 spoke wheel, i guess it wont work on scion's so they may have to do something similar to how mazda does it with the 3.

FYI, you can buy a PAC SWI-X which will let you use factory steering wheel audio controls on an aftermarket radio. Also, Pioneer has a steering wheel attachment which can also control the radio, but it looks awkward and will probably get in the way of turning the wheel.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i want DVD navigation!
Old 03-17-2004, 07:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Things like 8" sub being standard is just bad for everyone else who is like me... I would most definately hate paying more for something that'll be ripped out...

Things like 8" woofers will NEVER be standard because if you want it, you might as well check the little box that says 8" woofer as an option :D

As for fog lights, I do with they have it, but heck, I rather have HID as an option... (foglightsa re so useless)
Old 03-17-2004, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Leather would be fantastic!
Old 03-18-2004, 12:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, if I ask for something I can't have, then...

Lighter & RWD.

If they put the Sequential Manual Transmission of the MR-S in the tC, then..., well, I hope they don't because I might have to get it. :D

Actually, I hope they don't put the SMT in it because that would mean that they aren't aspiring to put it in another car -- I mean, if the SMT doesn't re-appear, then I can look forward to some new model in the future with the SMT -- like it'll be on something sportier and more expensive car I bet.

Again, if they put the SMT in there -- it's immediately on my list.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:06 AM
5 Year Member

well actually its impossible to have. Making it rwd over fwd will make it havier, and the only way to counter it is to use aluminum suspension (expansive), or make the car/wheelbase shorter, but would end up with a useless rear seat, and still expansive, and it wouls start to compete with is300, which toyota does not want.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:16 AM
5 Year Member

ohh and yes I know that fog lights on sport cars are useless, but they do look good, and are like only $50 to add, as apposed to HID, if i had to choose I would say fogs over HID and save me like $500.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

HID is way more functional tho, I mean seriously they might literally save you from running into a deer on a rainny day... $500 is very cheap I was expecting $800 - $1000

As for the SMT, why would one want to mess with something like that? The SMT on the MR-S got bad reviews didn't it? It was more like a +/- shifter instead of a real SMT where you have 7 levels to go up and down for a 5 speed...

SMT was designed for rally / drag racers to decrease the time it took to get into another gear, but if I'm not tripping, most drag (pro) racers end up with different levers for different gears and they just pull on them to change gears... (This is what they use in jet turbine powered rocket cars) And most rally cars are automatic gear switching now almost, it's all electronically controlled and the manual shifting is only there incase of failure....

SMT has been known to cause too many miss gearing... You lose track of what gear you're in and you end up skipping gears... Seriously, if they had that, I would be so turned off... As you would never get the fat smile on your face while performing the perfect 4 -> 2 down shift
Old 03-24-2004, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heh, I'm glad no one understands the SMT.

There are positives and negatives to it.

Positives:

Negatives:

The Toyota SMT on the MR2 Spyder is exactly opposite of what you'd need (or want) in a drag racing car. This SMT is more for cornering fast - you know, like autocross. The only way to match it with a standard manual is to learn "heel/toe" downshifting technique. (Purists do heel/toe anyway -- but... SMT = fun.)
      Old 03-24-2004, 08:02 AM
      5 Year Member
      SL Member

4 doors! the gap between wheels looks odd..but i guess that makes up for the leg room in the back

Quick Reply: If there was 1 or 2 things ya could change...