Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Im toying with the idea of the tc

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Im toying with the idea of the tc

Right now I have an 02 solara se and its comfy but the rear rattles like hell....get menial gas mileage and its a heavly under powered car for its weight. I want to start modding but I dont know if the solara is the platform I want to start with. I got the solara because of my son for the room, but now hes older and doesnt need a bulky seat so I want a sportier cars that mod friendly. I know that there are part for the v6 sle solara but I got the i4 and theres not much out other than custom. Theres really not much aftermarket support for the solara. So heres what Im toying with.....keep the solara and let the modding begin or plan to get a tc at the end of this year? I think the tc would be a much easier plan to work with plus that wide body kit is sick. Input is appreciated
Old 01-27-2005, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

- rear rattles like hell

- menial gas mileage

- heavly under powered car for its weight

does anyone else find this comical?
Old 01-27-2005, 02:18 AM
5 Year Member

ok that noise from the rear of ur solara is ur strut tops that are shot thats a good 800 dollar job to replace. about ur gas mileage well thats becuase ur trying to make that under power 5sfe move . u would be better of with the tc i
Old 01-27-2005, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I don't know of many mods for the Solara. I would go with the TC. there will be as many mods in the next two years to compare to the Honda Civic for the TC.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Corps
Scikotics
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

well you wont find a better value than the TC. for the money its the best on the market.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Test drive it, repeatedly. It's up to you.

I can't sell you on the tC. I knew when I saw one on the lot that it was going to be my next car.

You should find a car that makes you feel the same way.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kevin2413
I don't know of many mods for the Solara. I would go with the TC. there will be as many mods in the next two years to compare to the Honda Civic for the TC.
Yet to be seen.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cad455
- rear rattles like hell

- menial gas mileage

Yeah, it's kind of ironic.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 3 IGs
- rear rattles like hell

- menial gas mileage

Im not quite sure what is ironic about this....all the above is what im suffering thu....im sure the tc is lighter, gets better gas mileage and if it rattles....id assume someone would say so.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Somnambulated
Test drive it, repeatedly. It's up to you.

I can't sell you on the tC. I knew when I saw one on the lot that it was going to be my next car.

You should find a car that makes you feel the same way.
yeah.....that's how i felt with the tC......if I were you though.....I'd wait untill the 06 tC's come out......see what's bangin on them....
Old 01-27-2005, 12:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xavier
Originally Posted by 3 IGs
- rear rattles like hell

- menial gas mileage

Im not quite sure what is ironic about this....all the above is what im suffering thu....im sure the tc is lighter, gets better gas mileage and if it rattles....id assume someone would say so.
Don't get me wrong...I love my tC.

It's ironic because the very words you use to describe your Solara have been used to describe the tC. It's a bit heavy for it's size - many folks here are getting less than desirable mileage (especially around town) - and a lot of people have complained of rattles.

- I had a rattling sunroof - fixed.
- My mileage could be better - but most of my driving is in town and I like to use the gas pedal alot.
- It's so heavy that I can't even pick it up over my head. Honestly, the weight doesn't bother me a bit.

Happy motoring,
Josh
Old 01-27-2005, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member

If you think it heavy, feel happy you don't have a Camry, same engine, 1000 pounds more. Sucks to be them aye
Old 01-27-2005, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm pretty sure that a camry isn't 1000 lbs more...that would mean it was 3900 lbs.

Def. test drive a tC, and wait for the 06's. Also, don't forget that they are *suppose* to have a supercharger coming out.

Have you thought of a v6 5spd camry? I know they are rare, but they are fast. My mom has a 2000 v6 5spd, it will walk over my mr2 n/a, the tC, and the now sold celica all-trac anyday.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I gave up my 2 year old Altima for the tC. I was a nissan fanatic, but the tC called my name. Does that answer your question? I also bought the xA the same day for my regular drive. Both together equalled the payment I was dishing out for a single 3.5. You cant go wrong!
Old 01-29-2005, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm a Honda guy, but I just love the tC way to much to get another Civic, definitely test drive a tC and get some bearings for it. I've driven my cousins '04 Solara and he's driven my car and we both agreed that the tC was a more fun car to drive. Just my .02 cents
Old 01-29-2005, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You'll get great gas milage if you don't floor it like an idiot.

My car, a tC, does not rattle. Anywhere. And any rattles are under warranty and can be fixed by the dealership, so it's not really applicable when comparing cars.

Keep in mind that the tC is a first model year car. They have problems. Any make and model first year car will have problems. Your dealership should fix them under warranty. That's why you have a warranty.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have had my tC for over a month now, it is great. I also knew I wanted one when they first came out. I agree, test drive the car and se if its for you. ALSO: This note is just for people talking about the wide body kit: There is a fiberglass version called Touring Wide body and a kit from AIT Racing. AIT claims they are doing there's in FRP and Carbon also. We'll see though. The 8-Piece kit most people are referring to is the Touring Kit. Here is the note: THERE ARE ONLY 2 CARBON FIBER TOURING KITS THAT WERE MADE, ONE WAS FOR THE HOTCHKIS CAR, and ONE WAS FOR THE WHOLESALE HYPERFORMANCE CAR. I should know, I own the Wholesale Hyperformance tC. They are not doing any more kits in Carbon, it is way too much trouble. Thats from the horses mouth. So if you are planning on buying a tC just so you can get the Carbon Kit, forget it. Good news is, there is a 4-Piece version being made in Urethane. All versions fit good.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I have decided to keep the solara becasue the tc means more parts for me. I have the gen 1.5 with the 2az-fe 5sp. I know that there are a slew of parts being developed for our motor so Ill just wait it out. Plus, Last Friday-Sunday I fixed my rattle. The problem was the upper strut shaft nut on top of the strut was loose....A little torque on it and no more rattles. I just hope that the turbo kits will be interchangeable will fuel management and all
Old 02-01-2005, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Well, even if they come out with a bunch of parts for your car.. nothing will cure the weight issue.

If your thinking about it, you might as well test-drive the tC while your car still has a descent resale value.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:11 AM
5 Year Member

Hey Xavier, I'm just a noob on the tC here but I have a 99 Solara V6 and i just love it. Today I pushed the tC to about 100mph and I can actually say that I was driving a baby Solara (Note: I have modded my Solara so I am not comparing it to a stock Solara). I really like the tC, definitely something different, but I love my Solara too - very unique. Now, even though you have already made ur decision, I just wanted to add my .02 just in case you are having second thoughts. All I can say is, if your Solara was a V6, I'd recommend keeping it, but since it is a 4 banger, I would go for the tC. The 4 cylinder Solara is definitely waaaaaaaay too heavy man and not that many options out there like you've stated before. Anyway, if you'd like to mod ur Solara let me know, I can help you get some deals or possibly guide you to the right areas for whatever you may be looking for. Pz

Quick Reply: Im toying with the idea of the tc