Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 06:38 AM
5 Year Member

Default Insurance

I'm 16 and im pretty sure i'm getting a tC in the begining of 2007. Do you think insurance rates will be high for me?
Old 11-21-2006, 06:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Short answer: Yes, you're 16 driving a brand new car.
Long Answer: Search :-)
Old 11-21-2006, 06:43 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member
Scinergy

it depends on quite a bit. where you live, how your insurance company classifies a tc (sporty compact or sports car can make or break your rates) your driving record, if your on your parents policy their driving record as well, age, safety ratings for teh vehicle, how much it costs to repair the vehicle if damaged, the list goes on and on and on. SHOP AROUND no doubt! basically what im saying is that there are so many variables in this equation its hard to say!
Old 11-21-2006, 06:46 AM
5 Year Member

I live in California
Old 11-21-2006, 07:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

drive a four cylinder Lotus exige and watch your insurance sky rocket over some v8 granny wagon.

engine comes in all shapes and sizes.. it's easier for insurance companies to adjust rate by car class.

my bro's crappy mustang with 4cy was very expensive to insure. teenager with a "sport" car. there was nothing sporty about that mustang... I'd be surprised if that thing pull more then 2 digit hp numbers.

fyi: tC is not a v4 ;)

edit: color me surprised.. it's 105hp..
wow the 80's was a bad bad year for american muscle.
how the mighty had fallen.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

not another "insurance" thread
Old 11-21-2006, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member

HECK YEAH
IM 19 MY INSURANCE IS 492.00 A MONTH
NATIONWIDE CHEAPEST I FOUND

AND U WANNA KNOW WHATS MORE SCARY MY CAR NOTE IS 438.18
AND I PAY IT ALL ON MY OWN ......................... ITS A COUPE ITS GOING TO BE HIGH
ASK UR MOM TO PUT IT IN HER NAME
Old 11-21-2006, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know its hard to believe, but my xB costs more to insure than my tC. Haven't had tickets or wrecks in either one. Considering the tC costs more I would think it would cost more to insure...
Old 11-21-2006, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heh heh sorry I had to... (just playin around)

Good luck with Nationwide, I've had nothing but problems since I started with them... and if they don't straighten things out, I'm going to another company.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member

WHAT HAPPEN
Old 11-21-2006, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LILHIM07
WHAT HAPPEN
Who me? With Nationwide? Let's see..... where to start:

1. When setting up my policy, I was told I needed to put $195 down, and my payments would be $193/month. My first bill, was like $230 or something. I had to call 5 different people over 3 days to find out that this lady put on an SR-22 form (which is for people without licenses or something, but I have a full valid license)... so it was taken off finally. She also told me I had under my underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage, bodily injury AND property damage (ie would cover my car too, I'll get to this in a minute).

2. Had some idiot in a large new green SUV hit my rear bumper and take off... hit and run. I've been waiting a week and made tons of phone calls to get an estimate done, and for someone to go over what it would be covered under. That's when I found out that apparently, the lady lied to me when I set up my policy, in Pennsylvania there is no such thing apparently as underinsured/uninsured motorist property damage, just bodily injury ( i wasn't injured).

3. I'm still waiting on that call... seems no one knows what's going on.

4. I got my renewal "bill" in the mail... after being with them for 6 months, no tickets, no anything on my license, and I haven't decided whether or not I'm going through with the claim on the hit and run (damage isn't that bad), so that has nothing to do with this... but they're trying to jack my rates up to $212 a month!!!!!!!!!!!!! No accidents on my record since 1998, no tickets in over 5 years... nothing. No one can figure out why they're trying to jack my rates up so much, but this lady is supposed to be calling me today and seeing if she can get underwriting to write me into another one of their subsidy (sp?) companies early for a better rate, or I'm leaving and going with another company because this is rediculous.

5. No one seems to know what they're talking about. Every time I talk to someone else, I get a different answer.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LILHIM07
WHAT HAPPEN
"WHAT HAPPEN" IS THAT YOU NEED TO DISCOVER THIS AWESOME KEY ON YOUR KEYBOARD (THE THING YOU TYPE ON) CALLED 'CAPS LOCK'

I USE IT ALL THE TIME TO TYPE STUFF LIKE THIS, YEA BECAUSE I BE AWESOME

:wink
Old 11-21-2006, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mfbenson
I know its hard to believe, but my xB costs more to insure than my tC. Haven't had tickets or wrecks in either one. Considering the tC costs more I would think it would cost more to insure...
Well, not entirely. Even the car doesn't have a lot to do with it. One of the guys who sold me my Scion was talking about insurance, and he mentioned that he traded in his Dodge Probe (or something like it) for an SVT Cobra, and he was terrified that his insurance premium would be through the roof. But, it turned out to be like $9 a month more.

Something that happened to me was, I went to State Farm online and got a quote from them. Almost $700 (it was around $120 a month). It was more than what other guys were quoting, but there's a state farm right down the street from me, so I can talk to them if I have problems/questions/concerns, whatever. So I tried to get the policy online, but it refused me, saying I had to contact an agent. When I did that, the premium shot up to over $1400 ($234 a month!!). For a 26 year old male, living alone with ONE speeding ticket in an 07 Scion tC?? Called Geico, and they gave me insurance at less than half!

So now I can honestly say "I just saved a bunch of money by switching to Geico!"

Anyway, like I was saying, I don't think the car has all that much to do with it... Insurance is very difficult to predict...you just have to get out there and see what they'll offer you.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

in simpler terms, do not use the caps lock key when typing. it doesn't matter if you're yelling or trying to make your text stand out. use lowercase.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How about call insurance companies and ask them for a quote.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

^ x2