2005-2010 [ANT10]

Keeping rust off of the exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Keeping rust off of the exhaust?

I know it is my own fault for buying it the SR*S exhaust off of ebay but I like the sound. Had a few problems with fitting correctly but other than that it's been great until old man winter came around. Thanks to the wonderful WV DOH salting the crap out of the roads with the use of my tax $ has caused my exhaust to rust a little. I have been using metal polish after each snow storm to remove the rust but the rust keeps coming back more and more. I'm going to have to use a Brillo pad to remove the rust from the mid pipe.

So my question is what can I use to prevent the rust from coming back? Like a certain product, high temp clear coat, reversing the electical
charge, etc....? What is the best way to handle this?
Old 02-26-2008, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why are you concerned about your mid pipe resting, do you look at it often? I would just worry about the muffler and tip if anything
Old 02-26-2008, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im guessing he doesnt want a hole to rust through his exhaust and have a horrible sound and pointless exhaust system after spending a lot of money? Just my opinion, on to the topic i dont know much about how to stop rust
Old 02-26-2008, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive had my exhaust for about 3 months and barely even any discoloration
Old 02-26-2008, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Considering I had to swerve to miss a piece of mid pipe from the car in front of me on the way to work. Out of sight out of mind is not the way to look at things. It was supposed to be T-304 polished stainless steal it shouldn't have rust on it so it must have been just plated.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i put on a srs exhaust on my friend's tc. had no fitment issues, but it did burn a bit of the bumper. id take a dremel and get a polishing piece and just polish the crap out of it.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

To me burning of the bumper is a fitment issue don't think it should do that. The way I fixed that is scoring the hanger by the rear suspension so that the rubber hanger stays at the tip of the hanger then do the same on the hanger by the muffler.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Well a few products that clean up stainless steel and other metals are.........

Barkeepers Friend.......found at any grocery store in the cleaning aisle by Comet......it is for pots and pans..........just be sure to wash it off as it will burn/etch the metal.........but it will make it like new..........

to keep the rust off is near impossible........the salt and chemicals they put on the roads is highly corrosive and just tears up everything..........best bet is was it weekly even if it is freezing out...........
Old 02-27-2008, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think you got a plain carbon steel exhaust then. stainless steel and aluminum won't rust. only permanent way to stop the rust on carbon steel is to remove it and have it galvanized, even that won't last forever. otherwise... no dice. doesn't matter what cleaning product you use, or how much polishing you do, it'll just keep rusting quickly...... unless you manage to create some sort of system to keep the whole exhaust covered with some inert gas all the time.

At work I occasionally have to spec out something to prevent dissimilar metal and electrolytic reactions... if I come across something, I'll pm you or post here, but otherwise, I think you don't have too many options.

Edit: oh yeah, this is also why you don't buy stuff from ebay. And as a general rule, if I buy something online that's advertised as stainless steel or aluminum, I put a magnet to it. If it sticks, I send it back for false advertisement.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

ok did the magnet test which it does not stick to any of the exhaust system. Went to polish the rust off of the piping from the s pipe to the muffler of course no polish would work on it but would work on the muffler. Did a test spot with a Brillo pad on the muffler to make sure it wouldn't scratch it or dull it worked great. Went to use the Brillo pad on the pipping, well it took the rust out along with the obvious chrome/polished plating now it looks like normal new exhaust piping.

So I'm thinking about either spray with silver exhaust paint, or black high temp paint. then maybe try sanding with 1000+ grit to polish it again just on the part that you can see looking under the rear.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

magnets will stick to stainless steel, its still steel, it still has iron in it. And stainless steel can still rust!! its just much more resistant to it then carbon steel.