Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Looking to upgrade a little

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 05:10 PM
SL Member

Default Looking to upgrade a little

Well I got my 07 tC and i'm looking to add some upgrades and hopefully get some questions answered. I know there are other threads out there like this but I didn't want to hijack their threads to ask questions.

Alright well first off I want to get the lowering springs and the struts. Does anyone know a good price to pay for both of these? Do you guys think the car looks good lowered w/o the lip kit?

What's a good price for tint, I like it dark, lemme know, thanks.

Is the short shifter worth it? What's a good price to pay? Not lookin to get ripped off.

I'm looking at hooking up some visor lcd's but I like my stock hu, would it possible to get a cheap hu to run a/v through it? I also want to run my xbox 360 to it.

I am going for lambo doors and found some hinges for $500 off of ebay and was wondering if there's a big difference in hinges or if those are good.

I'm probably going to get the strut bars. I am fabricating my own G.F.I intake as seen on yoursciontc.com I also have a set of stock grilles and I am really wanting to paint them another color. I have a FM tC and was considering painting the top, bottom, and false grilles white but was worried it wouldn't look right so I may go with a gunmetalish color to match the rims and paint the scion logo white with black scion lettering. Well let me know whatcha guys think, thanks for your time.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Looking to upgrade a little

"Alright well first off I want to get the lowering springs and the struts. Does anyone know a good price to pay for both of these? Do you guys think the car looks good lowered w/o the lip kit?"

The car looks good lowered regardless of Lip Kit or not.

a good price? you could do coilovers for like 800. or what you want for... 600 i think. Plus 200ish for installation unless you do them yourself

"What's a good price for tint, I like it dark, lemme know, thanks."

Uhmmm. Average of 200ish I think? Darkness varies from person to person. Some might say do 5% but I think that's a little dark. The darkest I would go is 20%.

"Is the short shifter worth it? What's a good price to pay? Not lookin to get ripped off."

I don't have one but I hear good things about Dr. Isotopes ss.

"I'm looking at hooking up some visor lcd's but I like my stock hu, would it possible to get a cheap hu to run a/v through it? I also want to run my xbox 360 to it. "

idk. not my field

"I am going for lambo doors and found some hinges for $500 off of ebay and was wondering if there's a big difference in hinges or if those are good."

same. not my field. I hear that people get alignment problems with their lambo doors.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:42 PM
SL Member

Thanks for the quick response, what exactly is the difference with coilovers vs shocks and struts?
Old 04-06-2007, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im not the expert on that but coilovers you can adjust and tend to be overall a better upgrade
Old 04-07-2007, 06:25 AM
OhioScions
SL Member

the only help i can give is the trd quick shift is absolutely amazing. after testing a stock shifter and driving with the quick shifter, the shhifts feel more precise and smoooooth!
Old 04-07-2007, 01:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DeFinity
Thanks for the quick response, what exactly is the difference with coilovers vs shocks and struts?
Coil-overs are adjustable for lots of stuff. (Correct me if I am wrong) You can adjust camber, ride height, and toe. Coil-overs are for someone that is really serious about their suspension or need a high level of adjustment for different racing conditions or drifting.

Stick to shocks/springs, you will feel the difference and don't have to worry about them again.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you're looking for just springs... i have tanabe df210's. imo i feel it's the perfect drop.. and the ride feels good. i got mine for 175.. friend installed for 100 bucks.. but you're probably looking at a little more for installation.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:16 PM
SL Member

But shouldn't you upgrade shocks too for less strain on the stock struts?
Old 04-07-2007, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you should. Key word should Nothing bad will happen if you don't for the first couple thousand miles. But eventually you should yea
Old 04-07-2007, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TWM short shifter stage 2......get the TRD if you want a minimal difference, get the TWM if you want to see a big difference
Old 04-08-2007, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Coil-overs...u can adjust from 1-4 inches in height, have the Spring & Strut in one single unit...Cost a Butt load of Money!...haha

For Lowering Springs..get the Eibach Pro-kit...they are Progressive type springs...they feel like Stock ones..

Then Upgrade the Rear Sway Bar too!...

Better tires too!

Basically dont go Too "cheap"...
Old 04-08-2007, 04:01 AM
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Ok, here's my 2c.t i just ordered the short shifter From Dr. Isotope im getting a 50% throw reduction and 2.5 in drop, prices are great on his site, it's in one of the threads around here, i've read nothing but great reviews on his stuff and i will soon know for myself.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by meehoff
Ok, here's my 2c.t i just ordered the short shifter From Dr. Isotope im getting a 50% throw reduction and 2.5 in drop, prices are great on his site, it's in one of the threads around here, i've read nothing but great reviews on his stuff and i will soon know for myself.
2.5 drop?? ...Good Luck on steep driveways and speed bumps..

u should only go 1.5 Max!,,,unless you have coil-overs...
Old 04-08-2007, 11:46 AM
OhioScions
SL Member

i think he means on the shifter
Old 04-08-2007, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea hahaha
Old 04-08-2007, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

custom strut bars? i like my customed.

check it out

i also got a decal with the name of my project tc car "nightshade tc" on the middle of the strut. it looks branded. just my 2 cents.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:17 PM
SL Member

So anyone got some links to some coilovers? I'm still getting mixed signals of whether to go with springs and struts or just coilovers. This is confusing.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

basically, if you have the money, get coilovers because they'll last longer and are adjustable so you have more options. I'm not sure on the details of springs/struts/shocks vs. coilvers, but I know that if people have the money for them, they choose coilovers over just springs/struts/shocks.

sorry I couldn't be of more help here, but basically: get coilvers if you can afford them.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DeFinity
So anyone got some links to some coilovers? I'm still getting mixed signals of whether to go with springs and struts or just coilovers. This is confusing.
Do you wanna race Competitively?
Yes, Get Coilovers.
No, Get Struts and Springs.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:57 PM
SL Member

Don't want to race competitively except for drag (turbo to come later). Drag doesn't need coilovers does it? Looks like struts and springs it is.

Quick Reply: Looking to upgrade a little