Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Manual Transmission Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 09:14 AM
tk3
5 Year Member

Default Manual Transmission Thoughts

I test-drove the manual today and I find that the shifter is a lot stiffer than I am used to. The clutch is quite smoothe, though. Although, I still haven't gotten used to it. I was really impressed with the car all around. I concur with what most people are saying about the ride and that it is, in fact, really good.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

I dunno bout the tC, but with my xA I had a similar experience at first. But after a while, I realized that the throws were a lot shorter then I anticipated, and I was rubbing the gates. I'm not questioning your driving skills, just tellin you my experience. I find that the shifter has very positive throws, firm and precise. In fact it almost rivals my brother's 6spd 911 GT3(no it's not better, but it's pretty damn good). Even if it is firm, I think that would be better than a squishy/vague shifter. The Nissan Altima I tested was so rubbery. My xA's-- very mechanical, if I didn't know better, I'd think it was directly connected to the tranny and not a cable shifter. Or is it? Either way, I'd think that it should loosen up over time, but I'm no expert.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, you hit it on the head. It's a really short smooth shift. No nice, so quick. But it will take some getting used to by some if they've never driven on a short shifter.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:24 PM
tk3
5 Year Member

I am sure I'd get use to it. It's a lot different than my 96 Honda Civic haha. Thanks for the words, my friends.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

I suck at driving manual. I'm still learning, maybe that why. But when I drove the tC it was soo much easier than the IS300. I did absolutly awful on the IS but on the tC I did great. I'm not an expert by any means, but i thought the shifts were pretty close together too. (i better learn quick cause my tC comes any day now!)
Old 06-29-2004, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There's a big difference in the clutch on the IS300 and the tC.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by Charisma
Yeah, you hit it on the head. It's a really short smooth shift. No nice, so quick. But it will take some getting used to by some if they've never driven on a short shifter.
Seriously its gonna take a good week or so for me to get used to it coming from my short shifter.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Indeed... It's not quite a real 'billet short shifter' (of that style) but its certainly not like most either.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by Charisma
There's a big difference in the clutch on the IS300 and the tC.
tell me 'bout it! :D
Old 06-30-2004, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Motortrend just did a review on the tC in their new issue. . . they rave about how great the tC shifter is.

They also state that the tC is faster than the Celica? Is this true?
Old 06-30-2004, 04:42 AM
2JZ
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC4me
I suck at driving manual. I'm still learning, maybe that why. But when I drove the tC it was soo much easier than the IS300. I did absolutly awful on the IS but on the tC I did great. I'm not an expert by any means, but i thought the shifts were pretty close together too. (i better learn quick cause my tC comes any day now!)
haha i learned on my IS300... the clutch was the problem for me on that car... it's very abrupt; you kind of have to master foot control whereas the BMW 3 series seemed to be very forgiving to the beginner...

i have yet to test drive the manual... but it looks like i'll end up getting one first! only an auto demo was available ...
Old 06-30-2004, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

I've driven all kinds of manuals. Try a Porsche 911(996 for those in the know) clutch, that thing is impossible. I find that clutches that catch abrubtly are good for racing. It allows me to keep my revs up when shifting so I can dumb the clutch, especially on a turbo! :twisted: But for everyday shifting, smooth is nice.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by djct_watt
Motortrend just did a review on the tC in their new issue. . . they rave about how great the tC shifter is.

They also state that the tC is faster than the Celica? Is this true?

Yes, the tC is faster than the Celica... It's got more torque and just a bit more power (to the wheels that is). Faster than the GT that is.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does anyone know what cars share the manual tranny with the tC? I heard that the rav4 and the newer camry 4s do but does anyone know if this is an older transmission that can be found in any mid 90s cars?
Old 06-30-2004, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I test drove a 5spd today. I don't daily drive a 5spd so I had some 1st gear issues but that will go away with time. I agree that the shifter did feel stiff. Will have to get used to that as well. Other than that, I think the tranny is great. Got a little 2nd gear chirp too!
Old 07-01-2004, 03:56 AM
5 Year Member

I'm picking up a manual TC tomorrow; flint mica.

I've never even touched a stick shifter before.

I'll learn
Old 07-01-2004, 05:48 AM
5 Year Member

which issue of motortrend is it?.....i went to go look and they had the july issue out w/ nothing about the tc in it?
Old 07-01-2004, 06:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

i freaking broke my ankle today in basketball. it was only my left one so i can still drive auto. but my doctor tells me, i could be out to a max of 2 months.

the trouble is that i've wanted a 5spd since day one but would be pointless if i decide to get the tc now. and i do want it now. it seems logical before i broke my ankle to get the auto because im in socal and theres constant traffic all the time but i've wanted the 5spd for fun factor.

so my question is basically auto vs manual again. what real significant advantages does the manual have over the auto? i mean in power, speed and cost. obviously i can already tell those 3 favor the manual transmission more. but how much more is my real question? i already know cost, the manual tranny is about 800 dollars less. but what about the speed and power? does anyone know the real nbrs in those?
Old 07-01-2004, 07:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i test droved both the auto and 5 speed....

5 speed definitely has better acceleration and fun factor is incredible.. (i downshifted onto the freeway and the salesperson was holding dearly to the door handle) but the redline is pretty damn low at 6.5k (i hit the limiter and didn't even know it till it choked :? :oops: was pretty loud inside with the ac on all the way) then once i got back on the street at a stop light.. lets just say i accidently released the clutch too fast and wasted some rubber on the street with ppl looking at the car..

When I was test driving the auto.. i was told that it was already sold.. so i didn't really get to drive a long time... but it definitely has a lot of power due to the torque. When stepping on the gas it does seem a LITTLE slow at engaging but once it did, man o man was it nice, was passing cars when I was just getting on the freeway at 80 already. Lets just say with how smooth the ride is and the soft suspension you don't really know your speeds... i didn't really go crazy with the auto though.. so thats all i can say.. I wish i had floored the gas pedal just for the heck of it.. but i just didn't do it coz it was giving me all that power already.. and knowing that its already got a daddy or mommy..

Edit:

o after i test droved the auto.. i had to think all over again on the manual or auto.. but i finally came to a conclusion... whatever comes my way first, I'LL TAKE IT. My dealer did call me on an auto white (what i wanted) but with side airbags (i don't want).. so i passed on it.. will see what the next 1 is....
Old 07-01-2004, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn...what is the deal. you either want an auto or you dont. you either want a 5spd or you dont.

5spds get better gas mileage (simply because of the gearing. the more gears, the less energy needed to drive the wheels)
5spds are faster (autos have a tq converter that soak up power. 5spds have about 12-15% power loss from the crank to the wheels. autos have 22-25% power loss from crank to the wheels)
if you like to drive, the 5spd is going to give you more of a feeling of being in control of the car.
if you drive in tons of traffic and are lazy, get the auto.

nobody can make up your mind for you. go and test drive both and find out whats best for YOU. not what everyone else thinks. after all, you have to pay the bill every month.

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission Thoughts