Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Mazda 3s or Scion tC? Which would you buy and why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why would you even care?
Old 12-18-2004, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by shimmy
Driven both. The Mazda 3 with the exact same features will run you around 20k. The 3 handles nice, but the Tc is a way better buy for the buck. I beat the ____ out of both. Get the Tc. Yeah....FORD....Found On Road Dead.....ahhh..or...F'in Owners Real Dumb....which ever you perfer.
I agree the tC is probably the better value when measuring horsepower and features for the money. However a well-equipped Mazda 3s is nicer than a tC.

Personally I would go with the 3, and I have driven both, yes.

I would choose the 3 because 5 doors is way more practical than a 2 door coupe and the Mazda gives away nothing in sporty looks, in fact I'm amazed someone thought the Mazda 3 looked "typical" compared to the tC. The tC is to my eyes, about as generic as it gets. Attractive, but definitely more "Camry" then "Celica" in that DNA.

The Toyota is torquier, but the Mazda weighs less. It feels more taut and light on its feet to me. The radio controls are on the STEERING WHEEL, you can't beat that, and that is a standard feature on all 3's. The Mazda seems more lithe and athletic to me, where as the tC does a better job of isolating you from outside noise/road vibrations etc. If the tC had a 5 door version it would make it a much tougher call for me, but in this case I say go for the Mazda.

Dollar for dollar, between the two its a tough call.

The tC MSRP is $15,900

The Mazda3 MSRP is $13,680 stripped, $16,615 for the "s' model.

If cost is a prime concern then the tC has good bang for the buck, but if you are willing to spend a bit more the Mazda has great performance, nimble handling and a huge array of options you cannot get on the tC including NAV and Xenon headlamps, leather and so on.

Even with the smaller 2.0 liter engine, the Mazda moves out nicely, IMO, though a tC would spank it.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by udai
And here i thought that everyone was basing their posts on their opinions. Im sorry you have something against my post. Ill stick with toyota, and you go ahead and stick with ford.

The 3 is built on the new C platform engineered by Mazda, Volvo and yes Ford. It is what is underneath the new Volvo 40 series, as well as the new generation Ford Focus they get in Europe (but we do not have here yet)

The engines and transmissions are MAZDA. They are built by MAZDA in Japan. The car is a MAZDA 100%

The retarded Ford comments don't apply here.
Old 12-19-2004, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually the engine is the Ford Ecotec engine but it has been revised heavily by Mazda.

why would you even care?
I care because your ignorance might spread to others.

I'm still eager to find out how a Ford Mustang not being as reliable as a Toyota Camry has anything to do with the Mazda3.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ehm, "base" 5 door starts at $17,700, thats WITHOUT ABS or mp3 player... LOL
Old 12-19-2004, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was using Ford the company as an example. Out of experience i know people with fords (that had tons of problems) And even im not sure if mazda uses ford engines anymore, My opinion on the mazda now: i dont think its all that reliable in the long term (had one) But i suppose if its your thing.. go ahead and get it. Feel free to go all out on my opinion..
and i think the coupe starts at 14 base and 17 for the s model \ 5 door starts at 17 and is over 20 with the bells + whistles.
See where you stand when you compare the features on a stock tc with a similar priced 3 w/ the same features and go from there
Old 12-19-2004, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member

I think it all comes down to personal preference. Both are good cars in their own ways. It's what you want in a car that determines which one you get.

For me:
Mazda 3-
test drove last year when looking for a new car
(brother owns a Protege5, what the 3 replaced)
*the Duratec are durable, torqy, high potential engines
*well balanced and sport tuned car
*sporty styling
-interior a bit squared off and goofy
-poor visability, less than Protege5
-lots of outside noise, engine and exaust noise
-stiff, bumpy ride

tC-
*Toyota reliability
*refined feel, pleasant interior
*quiet cabin, even at highway speeds
*solid road manners, compliant ride
*good visability all around(for me at least)
*smooth, powerful engine
*well featured stock
-17" wheels/tires add a little bumpiness to the ride
-rear head room is short, even when rear seats are reclined
-trunk space is a bit small, tall floor means not much cargo area height

These are just quick lists of my test driving experiences with both cars in my search for a new car. i test drove the Mazda 3 last Feb when looking for a new car, settled on an '02 Forester mostly for price, utility, and Minnesota winters. My favorite was actually the Focus SVT, but price tag was $2000 too high for me. Mazda 3 was a hair over too, but the main deterent was the noisiness and ride. I like more quiet and a softer, well mannered ride. The 3 is set up for sport only. About a year later, I'm now looking at a tC as my choice, Focus SVT too if I find the right deal. The tC offers the comfortable daily driver aspects I look for: quiet cabin and a well mannered suspension. The only aspect I don't like is its slightly small rear and cargo area.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No shortage of threads on this one, but if we must.......

Buy A tC!!!

Bought a new '04 Mazda3 s autostick <<--(really, what's the point?)two months ago for the woman......loaded w/ everything possible except navigation and leather for a little over $20,000.

A month ago bought a '05 Scion tC 5spd for myself ....... with 6disc, fog lights, security , all the airbags, ground effects......just about everything except the sub, cargo stuff and those dumb neons. All for a little over $20,000.

Our tC's have more everything in every field compared to a Mazda3 (s, not the base i model). Both inline4's- ours 2.4L, theirs 2.3L. Both160HP. Ours:163LB/FT Theirs:150LB/FT
We have one-touch up/down windows on both and reclining rear seats.
Mazda3 has one-touch DOWN ONLY on drivers side and no reclining seats or second sunroof ..... yes, 4 doors, but what guy REALLY wants a sedan?
Old 12-20-2004, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mazda3 has one-touch DOWN ONLY on drivers side and no reclining seats or second sunroof ..... yes, 4 doors, but what guy REALLY wants a sedan?
One with a family and/or friends.

Who really needs Passenger one touch windows? And a second non-operational sunroof? lol ok.

Does the tC have steering wheel controls?
Old 12-20-2004, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was always comparing the TC to the civic EX.. im sure the civic can be haggled to a bit lower than the TC but that thing is way too damn slow. I wish honda would follow toyo and drop a sporty new car thats quick and doesnt cost much. (the si is like 21grand mind you)
Old 12-20-2004, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was always comparing the TC to the civic EX.. im sure the civic can be haggled to a bit lower than the TC but that thing is way too damn slow. I wish honda would follow toyo and drop a sporty new car thats quick and doesnt cost much. (the si is like 21grand mind you)
Something I actually agree with you.

The Civic has the saddest acceleration I've ever felt in a car. I was unfortunetely forced to drive one and on the freeway I could barely pass any cars with the pedal to the metal. I can't believe Honda put such a car on the market. It's performance is so horrible that it is dangerous.

The Accord Sedan starting at around 16k is much more comparable to the tC and the Mazda3. Unfortunetely most dealerships add tons of options making it much harder find at a low price.

OOT but I can't see how Honda can have the Si available with the RSX in it's price range.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Dealers are practically giving away Si's for 16-17k around here. Of course no one is really buying them, but it's not the 21k you speak of.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Last November I was set on getting a Mazda 3, but then I learned about the tC and never looked back. I think both are great cars but I chose the tC because it looks better, has better value, and it is a Toyota. That being said, I am really close to getting a Mazda 3. My mom needs a new car fast, and the wait time on a tC is 3-6 weeks(who wants two of the same car anyways). My mom kinda brushed me off when I told her to look at the Mazda 3 but once she test drove it, she loved it. If the dealer knocks off a couple hundred off the price, we should have the 3 in a couple days.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vAnt
Something I actually agree with you.

The Civic has the saddest acceleration I've ever felt in a car. I was unfortunetely forced to drive one and on the freeway I could barely pass any cars with the pedal to the metal. I can't believe Honda put such a car on the market. It's performance is so horrible that it is dangerous.

The Accord Sedan starting at around 16k is much more comparable to the tC and the Mazda3. Unfortunetely most dealerships add tons of options making it much harder find at a low price.

OOT but I can't see how Honda can have the Si available with the RSX in it's price range.
Heh thats the reason i dont take the highway when im in that car. You either stay in one lane or go local. 115 hp and 110tq is a joke. The si is at least comparable to the TC, but for about 2 grand less the TC takes the cake. Not to mention, the si is hideous.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vAnt
One with a family and/or friends.

Who really needs Passenger one touch windows? And a second non-operational sunroof? lol ok.

Does the tC have steering wheel controls?
Amazing you might even have family and/or friends to need a sedan......you are one pessimistic ****.

I need passenger one touch windows.....like I said, she has a Mazda3 and I have a tC. Tried 'em both....like mine better

And oh yeah, just FYI, the '05 Mazda3 has a second non-operational sunroof. Someone must NEED it. Those greedy bastards.....
Old 12-31-2004, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What a controversial topic. Reminds me of the dubya v Kerry wars back a few months ago. I read everyone's post and I found some interesting things. vAnt sounds like he woke up on the wrong side of the bed every morning he posted here, cause for some reason he was very upset?

To go with that Ford owns a good chunk of Mazda. When you go to ford.com there is a direct link to the Mazda site. What does this mean? Not much really! Does ford have a say in Mazda’s? Probably but I wasn't there. My dad owns a ford, and I don’t find it very reliable, it's had multiple problems, my bud owns an f-150, it's a 99 and breaks down every 2 months. No joke. He uses it the way a truck is meant to be used. Another friend owns a 98 mustang, and the thing is a joke...

Prior to owning a ford, my dad had a Toyota, bought it in 93, it was 2 years old at the time. Owned it for 6 years. Total maintenance cost for the entire 6 years was about $400 dollars. Our ford has almost cost us $2500 in maintenance, owned about 3 years. The bottom line is when people drive a car from a certain make they take the impression of that car and apply it to the company. From the number of ppl that complain about their ford I don’t think I'm a rare case. My mechanic told me and I swear to you "we would be out of business if it weren’t for fords."

Go check resale values TOYOTA cannot be beat. Show me your ford, dodge, chevy. Bring it! I'm gonna get flamed for this, but American cars are under par when u compare them to German and Japanese models. And please spare me the support American products lecture, Toyota employs thousands and creates jobs in this country just like ur ford.

On that note, my friend owns a mazda 3, I own the tC. Both cars command respect. When I see a 3 on the road, I pull up to it. I like the attention I get in my car, who doesn't? The tC is new, it's revolutionary in a sense, and yeah there are things i wish the tC had, like steering wheel controls. I think those are real cool. The Mazda looks flashy and nice, but when u compare the 2, I think someone already said this. The Mazda rides, drives and looks like a 20K car. The scion rides, drives and feels like a cousin of the Lexus line.

Toyota I think is more reliable; the engine in the tC has been used for about 10 years in the Toyota line. It has been modified and tested to meet its new needs and it's a tested engine. This 2.4 has been a lot of Toyota hoods.

If I were you I would get a Toyota. Their reliability is very hard to match. I have had excellent dealer treatment when I got my tC, and my sales rep has called me 2 weeks after purchase to see how much I liked my car.

But since I'm not u, it's better if you make your own choice. Compare the 2 on paper and on the road. They are both fine automobiles, I don’t think u would go wrong with either. It’s not like ur gonna wake up the next day and beat urself up cause u got one over the other. But again u are in a scion forum, and we loves the tC
Old 12-31-2004, 05:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha I wanted the 3 too but went for the tc...

mainly because it's a toyota vs. mazda...

second would be the pricing the mazda 3 I want is a couple more Gs thab the tc I got...

to be honest if I had the money to buy the pricier car and maintenance (making a blind assumption mazdas would need more maintenance than toyotas) I would have gotten the 3 hatchback, it's more convenient than a 2 door...
Old 12-31-2004, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I generalized the whole ford company because of what i heard about them owning ford. From what people say, im just not sure anymore. One thing i can say is that i know alot of people with cars from Ford, Mazda (owned myself) and Toyota.. and the Toyotas ran much stronger after years of abuse. One of my best friends has a camry (doesnt the tc use the same engine?) he has about 180,000 miles on it and it still hasnt given him any problems. I drove it and it feels like driving a lexus, laugh if you want but its the truth.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

vAnt sounds like he woke up on the wrong side of the bed every morning he posted here, cause for some reason he was very upset?
I'm glad you noticed.

When I post I try to show no expressions at all ;p
Old 12-31-2004, 11:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

to the original poster - here's a nice thing about your decision making process:

either way, you can't go wrong.

both cars are great for the money. when i see a mazda 3s on the road, i respect it.

the tC's are nice too. i have one

Quick Reply: Mazda 3s or Scion tC? Which would you buy and why?