Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

My brand new tc rolled down my hill at home =[

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldn't believe this either, but I've had it happen to me. I parked my car in my in-law's steep driveway and left it in first gear with the emergency brake off. I wasn't there very long, maybe 15 minutes, but the car rolled a good 10 feet. It didn't take off rolling, but I noticed as I went to get in it would jump back a foot or two at a time. I deduced that the engine was actually being spun backwards, and when it got to the compression stroke it would take a while for the air to be compressed enough for the engine to continue moving. I've never encountered this before, but I definitely believe gmupatriot's story. Now I park in gear with the emergency brake on.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:13 PM

thanks JasonH ____ happens and yeah I'm gonna have to get some rubbing compound as well thanks for all the feedback.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I don't think there is some conspiracy about why your car rolled. Poop like that does happen. But I'm sorry it did.

I'm also sorry that so many people think your Dad isn't man enough to take a bit of yelling in the heat of the moment. I'm sure your Dad could relate to how you felt. I'm quite sure your Father didn't think "My son doesn't love me anymore because I scratched his car".
Old 06-18-2007, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Frosty355

I'm quite sure your Father didn't think "My son doesn't love me anymore because I scratched his car".

Old 06-19-2007, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And yet another reason why old people shouldn't be driving tCs
J/k, just forgive your dad. He's getting old and senility is probably starting to kick in.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:09 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I had a friend whose dad ran over his car with his pickup... twice... not completely ran it over, but f-ed up the hood pretty well.... (the drive way is the reverse slant going up compared to most that are going down)

needless to say, he doesn't part in front of the driveway or anywhere near it anymore
Old 06-19-2007, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol

Here's my story... so dumb.
Yesterday morning before going to work I read this thread...

Well, I get to work, it was raining, parked on my boss's parking spot (covered), took out some stuff from the car and went up to the office.

about 2 hours later, the UPS guy (he knows me) comes up and tells me "your car is in the middle of the street"...

I got scared thinking someone hit it, or the car hit another car, but nothing happened...

I couldn't laugh harder at my stupidity, AFTER READING WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR DAD.

Of course, I didn't put 1st, or e-brake... stupid stupid stupid...

And no, never use 1st gear only, e-brake, or "PARKING" brake, got the name for a reason didn't it? 1st gear doesn't hold, and anyone who doesn't believe me, take your car to a hill, put it on 1st and get out of the car and see what happens...., LOL

P.S. DONT FORGET TO TAKE PICTURES OF YOUR CALL ROLLING DOWN!
Old 06-19-2007, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^^
Old 06-19-2007, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've tried every gear, even fifth, on a driveway. Every gear held just fine...

If your car starts rolling in gear, you're turning the engine.

Of course, the handbrake is there for reason, so I always use it, release the footbrake, then put it in a gear that's opposite any solid objects I parked in front of/behind. For example... if I park face-in in a parking lot, with a car on the other side, I select reverse.

Reverse into a spot? Select first. Helps prevent some baddddd things from happening incase you get stupid and forget to take it out of gear before starting, and then also accidentally dump the clutch...
Old 06-19-2007, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn that sucks... My father is known in our family to prematurely destroy our cars. So we just bought him his own car to destroy...

I can't blame my father for what he's done to my cars. He's only given me his DNA, shown me humiliation, given me humiliation, given me money, yelled at me to stay in school, paid for college, paid for clothes (even those funky old school Karl Kani's and Girbaud crap back in the days) while he still wears his tattered old clothes, provided for me even after college, beat me silly to set me straight, put up with a ridiculous Money Pit project only to realize there's another one on the way, made me want to tie a rope around a giant rock and throw it over a bridge...

But he's my dad and that's what dad's are suppose to do... Man I love my dad, even if he gives me grief and hell I think a big reason for who I am is because of him. I don't ever want to be like him in some respects but he tried very hard for us and did the best he could; especially since coming to this country with only $5 to their name...

Plus, if I ever yelled at him he'd only humiliate me and probably smack me upside the head anyways... Gotta' love dad's...

Get over it. That car is a piece of metal that gets you to point A and point B. Your dad will be so much more important than that because he's gonna' be doing everything else inbetween...
Old 06-19-2007, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

um...wow.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Sometimes, if the gear is not firmly set, it will pop out of gear. Let me explain.

Most people pop the shifter to neutral upon stopping (habit). Once you stop the engine, everything in the transmission also comes to a stop. Now try shifting around through different gears. Notice that it takes more force? Normally the transmission's gears and teeth are all spinning which makes it easy for the synchros to catch each gear and slide in. But with the engine off, you have to use force (unless it is perfectly aligned).

Now considering modern day precision built transmissions and well oiled gears, 99% of the time it will not be a problem. But every once in a while, the gear will not fully engage. As soon as any pressure is placed on the drive wheels, the transmission will move in the direction will naturally pop into neutral. And there goes your car, rolling down the hill.

Theoretically, it should not roll in 1st gear (unless you have a discintegrated clutch). But the gears do pop out on occasion. Hence, ALWAYS use the parking brake!!!!!! Also, point the wheels towards the curb (in respect to the direction of roll). It's a triple play: A) transmission locked in 1st B) parking brake on C) the curb will stop you before you pick up any speed.

Parking brakes also fail too, as brake lines can rust and snap. And hey, did you know that it is a ticketable offense NOT to curb your wheels? They actively enforce it in San Francisco (for good reason).

Even P on an auto tranny can fail. It's actually quite easy. All that holds the car in place is a tiny little metal peg in the transmission, locked by a tiny little lever arm. It doesn't take much force at all to break it.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ what he said...

totally agree....
Old 06-20-2007, 02:16 AM

lol at what happened to you at work, it's good nothing happened to ur ride though and at ur friend's dad that must really blow

and yeah my dad realized it was the heat of the moment its like it didn't happen. Looking at the damage now it's really hard to tell so i'm happy and just wanna keep it perfect.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by djct_watt
Even P on an auto tranny can fail. It's actually quite easy. All that holds the car in place is a tiny little metal peg in the transmission, locked by a tiny little lever arm. It doesn't take much force at all to break it.
Yup, I always use my ebrake on my a/t. Helps prevent the gears from rocking into place after you turn off the motor and take your foot off the brake. Works for me.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the list:

rubbing compound
PC random orbital polisher
detailer grade polish
sealant and some MF towels and cheesecloths should it look like it never happened...
Old 06-20-2007, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by forpinks
the list:

rubbing compound
PC random orbital polisher
detailer grade polish
sealant and some MF towels and cheesecloths should it look like it never happened...
appreciate it, do you like turtle wax rubbing compound and the polish they have for it because I just found some in my garage that my dad used before lol.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the turtle wax rubbing compound or other rubs will cause swirls...

The polishes, buffer, and sealant glaze will take it out and make it look new... the hard part is the polish and seal is online or specialty shop only, the polisher can be rented and they are worth it!

If you have swirl problems, buff the tC!
Old 06-21-2007, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
SL Member

Jesus, did any of you actually read the drivers manual before taking the test or ever look thru your car's owners manual????

Originally Posted by paul34
If your car starts rolling in gear, you're turning the engine.
It doesn't roll in gear, it pops out then rolls. ...yes, it does happen.
Its like proping a stick under a boulder on a hill eventually it might break or it might not. either way you're taking a chance.

Originally Posted by djct_watt
Parking brakes also fail too, as brake lines can rust and snap.
not likely tho by the time it rusts to that point it would have long since streched beyond useless and if you had it readjusted it would have been replaced if the rust was that bad.

I've owned 30+ yr old cars that had the original brake line and there was no rust other than surface at the ends.

Using the e-brake or both is the best idea.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

are there pics of the damage?

Quick Reply: My brand new tc rolled down my hill at home =[