Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

My complaint is that the tilt steering seems upside down.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default My complaint is that the tilt steering seems upside down.

The highest position seems to low. It would be nice if it tilted up more. If you tilt it down the steering wheel would be at a extremely awkward angle. I do not know what they were thinking when the designed the tilt. Anyway my car should be here by the end of the week.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: My complaint is that the tilt steering seems upside down

Originally Posted by zizi
The highest position seems to low. It would be nice if it tilted up more. If you tilt it down the steering wheel would be at a extremely awkward angle. I do not know what they were thinking when the designed the tilt. Anyway my car should be here by the end of the week.
I don't know if it's because of airbags or an increase in midgets, but most new cars, especially economy cars, have steering wheels positioned way too low. It must be the same reason why many cars allow the seat to travel so far forward as to put the seatback six inches from the steering wheel, yet won't go back far enough to give a typical six-footer enough legroom.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My biggest complaint with the comfort of my 91 camry is that the steering wheel is too far away from my body (too close to the dash). I'm 6'3", I put the seat all the way back, and my arm is almost fully extended to reach the steering wheel. I'd like it if it was a little closer to my chest. The VW's with their telescoping steering wheel, now that's some ____.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by eugovector
My biggest complaint with the comfort of my 91 camry is that the steering wheel is too far away from my body (too close to the dash). I'm 6'3", I put the seat all the way back, and my arm is almost fully extended to reach the steering wheel. I'd like it if it was a little closer to my chest. The VW's with their telescoping steering wheel, now that's some ____.
That's because the Camry was designed for people shorter than you. Putting the steering wheel closer to the dash means it will fit people who sit closer to the dash better. The Camry is a Japanese car, and older Japanese cars were made for the Japanese market first and foremost. The Japanese are shorter on average, thus the car was created for them.

You can absolutely tell the difference between a Japanese car and American/German one simply by the ratios of distances to the controls. I'm actually quite pleased that most "import" cars in the US are actually specifically made for the US market now-a-days. It prevents these issues from coming up as often.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

quote]That's because the Camry was designed for people shorter than you.[/quote]

Most Japanese cars are built on a scale of people around 5'5" to 5'9". I'm 15, still growing and I'm well out of that range.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Charisma
quote]That's because the Camry was designed for people shorter than you.
Most Japanese cars are built on a scale of people around 5'5" to 5'9". I'm 15, still growing and I'm well out of that range. [/quote]

Where did you dig up those numbers? Source?