2005-2010 [ANT10]

My First Run

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default My First Run

im not a ricer, IM NOT A RICER, but im not a street racer either. So since i got my car i can honetly say i havent raced anyone, but last night was different. I saw i guy that i see all the time in a 02 civic Si (egg ones) and he revs at me. So in turn i roll down my window and ask if he wanted to go. He responded so i took him to a road near my house where there are never any cops and we had 3 runs.
1. He school me by 2 cars because i peeled out hardcore, i guess i reved to high
2. He gets me again by a car but i did everything correct.
Finally i said good race asked him what hey had, and i was really impressed they way he had his car all stock just a muffler, and hid. He asked me if i wanted to go again because he said my car had some power and maybe we can get a better out come.
3 he gets my buy 1 1/2 but i peel out a lil.
lesson of the day, SCION TC cannot beat a Civic Si. They guy was really cool for a civic own most of those guys are ricers
Old 11-24-2004, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: My First Run

Originally Posted by metalranger33
lesson of the day...
It's all about the driver.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: My First Run

Originally Posted by t0p_sh0tta
Originally Posted by metalranger33
lesson of the day...
It's all about the driver.
Exactly...
Old 11-24-2004, 03:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it seems like the tC should win if the drivers are both of the same level.
many on the board would say a SI CANNOT beat a tC, but i guess you've proven them wrong.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive beaten my fiends civic si with an intake... not by much but i did. given equal drivers the Tc's numbers are better
Old 11-24-2004, 03:41 PM
zac
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

civics are still good cars, just because you see them on every corner doesnt make them bad, the sad thing is the tC might take civics position on the streets in a couple years every wanna be racer kid will have one and all the people who want a lexus style sports car but cant afford one will too!

besides look at the wieght issue our chubby tC's are probably about 500 to 1,000lbs heavier
Old 11-24-2004, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no doubt civics are good cars, the civic si motor from the RSX base takes boost really well. once boosted a tc wont even touch that. also their aggressive VTEC doesnt help us out any either. There will be a lot of Tc's out sooner or later, thats why you gotta pimp it out now so people still get shocked

and the weight issue, i believe its only 400-500 lbs heavier then the civic si... but look at how much more torque we have, our cars should take it off the line and keep pulling given equal drivers. the civic SI's vtec isnt aggressive enough like the RSX type-s where it will pull so hard and catch up.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tC might take civics position
Scion heads have said they will not ramp up production that quickly, that they want to keep a level of scarcity. tc wont likely be the next civic, you're not gonna see tc's rolling around every 5th car anytime soon.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:00 PM
Banned
SL Member

i raced an SI and kept up in my COROLLA.. someone needs to learn to drive...
Old 11-24-2004, 04:32 PM
zac
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kaypee
tC might take civics position
Scion heads have said they will not ramp up production that quickly, that they want to keep a level of scarcity. tc wont likely be the next civic, you're not gonna see tc's rolling around every 5th car anytime soon.

Good i like the attention and the stares :mrgreen:

but also civics got that way because they were good cars and not very expensive,
hmmmm.. familiar huh

tC's are even better and cheaper, im sure honda will have a surprise coming to compete with tC's
Old 11-24-2004, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CivicEater
i raced an SI and kept up in my COROLLA.. someone needs to learn to drive...
HAHAHA
but yea its the driver
Old 11-24-2004, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

lesson of the day, SCION TC cannot beat a Civic Si.
Its driver all the way. As everyone has said.

The Mini-van Si's are slow as *****. Ive never seen one at the track get lowerer than a 16.3...........modded!!!!!

Race him from a 1st gear roll. You wont have to master the launch if its from a roll.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mahalzkita28
no doubt civics are good cars, the civic si motor from the RSX base takes boost really well. once boosted a tc wont even touch that. also their aggressive VTEC doesnt help us out any either. There will be a lot of Tc's out sooner or later, thats why you gotta pimp it out now so people still get shocked

and the weight issue, i believe its only 400-500 lbs heavier then the civic si... but look at how much more torque we have, our cars should take it off the line and keep pulling given equal drivers. the civic SI's vtec isnt aggressive enough like the RSX type-s where it will pull so hard and catch up.
The Civic Si uses the K20A3, the same motor in the base RSX as you pointed out, and uses VTEC-i, but in the K20A3 there are not sepearte cam profiles as in the Type-S' (and R). For the Si and Base RSX, the VTEC-i only adjust the cam timing, very similiar to the VVTI utlized in the tC's engine. So, you're right, the Si's VTEC isnt as aggressive as the Type-S', but doesnt do much (or anything) more then VVTI does for the tC, meaning, no VTEC advantage in this case.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well all I've got to say is over last weekend, I swapped my stock Potenza RE92s for some Plus Zero sized Continental ContiExtremeContacts... the car feels WORLDS more sticky and confident. If you're having trouble with that Civic because when you both drop it, he shoots off the line and you use all your torque to spin the wheels, tires will definitely change things. Thus far, I haven't been able to break these loose for anything.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:45 PM
zac
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how much did those tires run? if you dont mind me asking
Old 11-24-2004, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I've heard some good things about those tires as well...I've been trying to do some research for upgrading in the spring.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

about 2 months after i got my tc the first challenge i wanted was a civic si. I moved to san antonio and our neighbor had one and everyone wanted to see us run. so we go out to the middle of no where and we go once and he beats me by one car. BUT! this 2002 civic si had intake, headers , and exhaust . A stock tc will beat a stock si anyday unless the driving sucks. i took it to the tracks and the best i could pull off was a 16.1 but that was also my first time. bottom line ...tc's are faster than civic si's with equal drivers
Old 11-24-2004, 05:58 PM
zac
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was lookin at the tire rack and found 205 40 17's for $80 each!
thats really good if there good tires i usually stick with falken s but i might try those

the only thing is they dont have any 35's 40 is the smallest side wall
Old 11-24-2004, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had good tires on my last car so I knew I had to do it again - they just make a night and day difference up in Seattle. I drive in the rain on hills a lot and a little bit on snow, so I wanted something good. These tires were cheaper than the Pirelli's and came highly recommended. The Plus Zero size (225/45-17) is the stock size for a lot of BMWs and Audis and people like these tires. I went to Discount Tire and got the 4 of them, installed, with the warranty, for a total of like $680 with tax. It's a lot of money, but I think about it this way. Each tire is like $122 installed. That's worth it to me. Add like $17 each tire for the warranty - if I blow them out on a pothole or something, they replace them free at any DT store. That's worth it. Add tax because everything has tax, and you get the total. Also, I only had like 900 miles on the stock tires and I called a used tire place and they bought them for $80, so I only spent 600 all in all.

Two other bonuses of the plus zero sizing. Over the long haul, your odometer will show slightly lower miles than you've actually driven, which doesn't hurt, and the extra air in these tires really feels a looot smoother over rough roads. That could just be the tires themselves, but it might be the plus sizing as well. Anyway, I'm pretty damn happy with this purchase.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zac
i was lookin at the tire rack and found 205 40 17's for $80 each!
thats really good if there good tires i usually stick with falken s but i might try those

the only thing is they dont have any 35's 40 is the smallest side wall
Man... the stocks are 215/45-17s and I would never go lower than 45 on the sidewall - way too easy to bend your rim, pop your tire, or just have a ____ty ride. I drive this car every day and I like it to soak up those bumps.

Remember - you buy on tire rack, you pay $35 for shipping and then probably a good $15 per tire for installation. After all that, you've still got to ship them back if you have a problem - do you know how much it costs to send a tire through the mail? I could have gotten my tires like $30 bucks cheaper per tire, and it wasn't worth it to me.

Quick Reply: My First Run