2005-2010 [ANT10]

nasty rattle coming from under engine bay ... HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default nasty rattle coming from under engine bay ... HELP

I recently noticed that when at low rpms like if you let off clutch too much rpms drop but doesn't stall... it rattles pretty badly. is this normal? I don't remember hearing it before but then again I don't really let the rpms drop too much. its an 08 with 4K miles. if anyone elses car does this let me kno! ill try to post a video tonight.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah my car did the same thing for a few days then i put different gas in it and then it stopped
Old 02-04-2008, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

well, if you are dropping it to near stall, all kinds of rattles will pop up because the car is barely able to run (making it shake and try to die). Your RPMs should be increasing or staying the same when you take off, not dropping below normal idle speed.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: nasty rattle coming from under engine bay ... HELP

Originally Posted by enjoithis
I recently noticed that when at low rpms like if you let off clutch too much rpms drop but doesn't stall... it rattles pretty badly. is this normal? I don't remember hearing it before but then again I don't really let the rpms drop too much. its an 08 with 4K miles. if anyone elses car does this let me kno! ill try to post a video tonight.

+1 for engi. what do u mean "let off the clutch too much...." you're either supposed to be fully depressing the clutch, or slowly releasing it until its fully released (ie. engaged).

when r u doing this? In gear, idling while stopped? Or moving?

I've noticed when u let out the clutch (ie. let the pedal up) the friction does seem to slow down the rpms a bit, so u need to compensate by adding more throttle. It is kindof funky, like no other car i've ever driven, but u can get used to it.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry for my incorrect wording... by let off the clutch I mean foot off clutch ... engage clutch....causing rpms to drop before compensating enough... I also noticed just now when in 2nd at about 1500 rpms its also doing it.... its low for the engine but I don't think it should be rattling so much...nor do I remember it doing that.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Any manual tranny car drops rpm when you start releasing the clutch, it isnt a quirky thing with the tC. If a car can take off without dropping rpm when you start releasing the clutch, either the idle speed is set too high (if adjustable) of the idle air control is acting funky. As you add load to the engine (aka, releasing the clutch) the engine will slow down, and die out eventually if you dont give it gas. Just part of driving a manual.

As for what you are describing, it sound like it is doing it when the engine bogs a little (making the engine shake).
If you have a CAI, it is probably rattling against the fender cutout. If this is the case www.doctorisotope.com can fix that for you. He sells a CAI fender mount to keep it from hitting the fender opening.

If it isnt that, it can be a lot of other things rattling around under the hood. What types of aftermarket parts are you running, if any?

But, the real issues is bogging it down. You just need to practice taking off without bogging it like that. Give it more gas
Old 02-08-2008, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the info ^ ..i know bogging down is normal, but its the only way i can really get the car to shake without hitting bumps and stuff...

Turns out, i tightened up all the bolts down there and its not rattling anymore, i think it was the S-pipe/mid-pipe connection.... oops