Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Need advice...rear window of tC shattered by $#@^ vandals...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Need advice...rear window of tC shattered by $#@^ vandals...

Soooo this morning I wake up to a nice surprise.....the rear window of my tC is shattered, with a nice big rock lying inside. Doors were still locked, nothing was taken from inside the car.

Come to find out upon filing the police report, 7 or so other cars in my area were victims of the same $%#&%* little vandals. Why people do this kind of stuff is beyond me....

..but anyways, my priority right now is getting the car fixed.

Does anyone happen to know:

*Approx. how much does the OEM glass cost?
*Is it normally claimed under my "compehenisive" coverage on my insurance?I am guessing I will be S.O.L. here, because my deductible is $1000.
*Should I try a glass shop first, or go to the dealer?

And help/advice on getting this fixed would be appreciated!

-Nikki
Old 09-25-2005, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any damage done to your car can be filed under an insurance claim. Now whether or not you can due to your deductable is another story (I dont know how much the window is...). Oh, and I know your pain about vandalism (just read down a bit).
Old 09-25-2005, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The glass cost somewhere around 600 i had to get mine replace after it was shattered.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

A friend of mine had her rear glass destroyed in the exact same way last winter. Cost her $450 for rear glass for her Accord from a glass shop.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

if you go to a glass shop be careful with the quality...
Old 09-26-2005, 02:15 AM
5 Year Member

That one hits too close to home for me. I had a similar thing happen to mine a few weeks ago. Someone was going around shooting out car windows with a beebee gun in my neighborhood. Cops were already going around filing reports when I called, they got to me before they got the call from dispatch.

Word of advice, get used to having no glass back there for awhile. I had to wait a week and a half just to get my driver's side door window replaced. Right now third parties are having to get the glass from dealerships. I would imagine the rear window will be harder to get than door windows.

As far as insurance coverage, double check your policy to see if you have glass coverage. Some insurance agencies offer full coverage for glass breakage seperate of comprehensive. I found out after it was too late that I didn't, after thinking I did. Found out my agency didn't offer it, so I did the next best thing. I changed my comprehensive damage to $0 deductable from $250. Pretty much just put me back to what I was paying the last six months. Of course I'm considered a long time customer since 85 and a clean driving record for 8 years, so I'm not exactly breaking the bank.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

that is cold. that is most f'd up. sorry about your misfortune.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:45 AM
Banned

I was feeling a bit pent up. What can I say? Sorry bloke.
Anyway I'm sure it was a blue one and I did take some stuff.
My mistake. Won't do it again.
Not really vicious, just larking to lighten your dark day. Sorry about the vandalism.
I never ever ever would do that stuff again maybe because I'm dead? Perhaps so.
Have the dealer put in the new glass and tell them you won't accept the slightest imperfection or ... just hint to the techs that if it is not done perfectly they may have a brick fly through the showroom window. PM me if you need help in that department I'm game.

PS: the smash hole looks like one of the tests the doctors did on my head. I see Barney that damned dino or it's a... lemme look again...
Old 09-26-2005, 03:00 AM
Banned

Nopers, it was a Furby for sure. A Furby threw that brick and it forgot to let go. They are really the most stupid little creatures I spit on Furbys!

Sid
Old 09-26-2005, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

THey had to replace my rear glass after my top glass panel exploded. I know they ordered the glass (and it said it was made in Japan, so I assume it was OEM? Dunno for sure though) and they had Elite Autoglass install it.

That sucks ___ though, I have vandals. Good luck with getting it replaced, it shouldn't be too much work. Also it should fall under your comprehensive insurance, since it did not occur while driving or anything.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:03 AM
Banned

You may safely presume the new rear glass is OEM. The tC is too new and too small a market yet for the replacement glass industry to look into for profit. Particularly true for the example of this freaking wonderful self-shattering top glass.

Now why do you suppose these top panes shatter? Has anyone questioned after Furbys? I say, it's either Furby's or defective tempering or unfortunate stress riser situation defined by the flexure of the wobbly tC unit body. This would be an insoluble problem until the TC dies are revamped. And so, you people driving tCs today would be well advised to keep strips of duct tape applied to your top panels. Either that, or wear safety glasses and hats with earmuffs whilst driving, whilst awaiting the next big bang.

helpfully yours,
Sid
Old 09-26-2005, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hope for karma to hit who whoever did that to your car w/ a 18 wheeler.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well mine was due to a rock on the highway (so says the dealership... i'm still not 100% convinced).
Old 09-26-2005, 04:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, that really sucks. I hope those vandals get caught. Hope it doesnt cost you to much to fix it.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:14 AM
Banned

In my country the windscreen is the same tempered glass as the rear window. Only it is laminated for the windscreen duty. Do you know why this is a good idea and also a bad idea? It is a compromise. The front glasses in the USA are not tempered glass. They are plain glass that breaks into sharp long daggers.
Anyway I do like knives myself but am glad the duddies at home mandate laminated tempered glass for our windscreens. Do you know what tempered glass really is? Do you know how it is made?

Well, neither do I. I'm out of time I mean. Off for duties with my lady,

Sid.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sebhockey
As far as insurance coverage, double check your policy to see if you have glass coverage. Some insurance agencies offer full coverage for glass breakage seperate of comprehensive. I found out after it was too late that I didn't, after thinking I did. Found out my agency didn't offer it, so I did the next best thing. I changed my comprehensive damage to $0 deductable from $250. Pretty much just put me back to what I was paying the last six months. Of course I'm considered a long time customer since 85 and a clean driving record for 8 years, so I'm not exactly breaking the bank.
wouldnt this be considered vandalism , i never knew theres a seperate glass coverage. if so give me more info please. thanks.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

OUches Man
Old 09-26-2005, 03:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

FYI.....its gonna cost me a little less than $700, installed.
Out of my pocket, as my deductible is $1000.

I can only hope that the cops catch the responsibe party....I know it's a long shot. But since there were a number of cars damaged, we could file a civil suit against the little turds.

May karma catch up with them, hahahahaha......
Old 09-26-2005, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Karma, or Judge Judy. Did any of you guys see the show where a witless punk was on the dock for keying cars? It was a riot of fun because the kid ended up by convicting himself.

His "my son did not do it" dad was there for moral support but that just made the mixups even funnier.

A car owner witnessed the whole episode of the kid keying like six parked cars, egged on by his buddies who were standing off to one side. When they saw the man witnessing they scrammed, leaving Bozo with a key in his hand and -no idea quite yet that he was caught. Bozo boy made one big, last scrape, and turned to leer at his peer group. He turned instead and laughed for about a millisecond at the grownup witness, who called the cops and collared the boy.

Duh.

We wish they call could be caught and put to work in an some prison's auto body shop. Sanding and painting all day long.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by tikbhoy
Originally Posted by sebhockey
wouldnt this be considered vandalism , i never knew theres a seperate glass coverage. if so give me more info please. thanks.
It depends on your insurance company and agent. Some Nationwide agencies have glass coverage such that if your glass breaks for any reason it's covered free of charge. I know cause my parents and sister have it. I don't since I've got a different agent. Silly me didn't want to drive out to Emporia, VA to sign my insurance papers though I wish I had now.

For more info, talk to your agent or go to Nationwide.com and look into their coverages for auto. For me since I didn't have that glass coverage it was covered as vandalism/comprehensive.

Quick Reply: Need advice...rear window of tC shattered by $#@^ vandals...