Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Never driven a clutch, problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dont worry about the driveway thing at all just get used to normal driving stop and go and you'll drive up a driveway w/o even thinking about it

i drive a Dodge Dakota 5MT (3feet in clutch travel) and driving up a driveway in a Scion tC or Civic is literlly like driving an automatic. you really dont have to clutch out TOO much going up a driveway.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:05 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by highhobbiescom
I want a manual badly, its just stupid to have a custom show car and a turbo'ed car (future) in automatic (this is my own opinion, please dont go off topic.) Should i just go auto?:-/
neil tjin, who owns one of the best SEMA worthy tCs out there (the former ninja red (now sky blue-ish color) w/obsidian kit and HRE rims... (yeah.. that one) is an automatic.

if you think that car is stupid. i am sure plenty of us will bash you into pieces.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just dont prefer it. Please dont go off topic, its opinion, as stated.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:00 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

then i'll get back to topic..

original question.. no problem learning manual... so you'll stall a few times here and there. it takes a little bit to get used to.. but eventually you'll reach a point where it's just second nature.

what damage you do to your clutch... i wouldn't worry about. it's gonna happen sooner or later... so you pre-maturely wear it out... unless you got another beater car to learn with.. there's not much of a choice.

for hills... if you're scared of rolling backwards.. use your parking brake.

there are plenty of online resources that can provide tips to learning how to drive stick. read up.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks!
Old 07-01-2006, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

one tip that helped me out alot.. the tc was my first manual car and the first manual car I learned on. it took about 3 days to learn how to drive a stick.. remember, no matter how much gas you give, the car won't go anywhere if the clutch is down.. so give it some gas and slowly let the clutch up... do this for a little bit and then you'll learn what amount of gas and how much to let up on the clutch over time.. so, a lot of gas and concentrate on the clutch.. you may wear your clutch,, but they can always be replaced.. you know..
Old 07-01-2006, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

even after practicing on an mr2, accord and prelude i still stalled at the lot. my salesman laughed at first then asked me if i needed some pointers. one round around the area and i was able to drive without stalling the rest of the night.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I learned how to drive stick on my new tC. I don't think you will have problem with it. Just make sure you ask someone know how to drive stick pick up the car with you and show u some tips.

After that, practice practice and more practice. :D
Old 07-01-2006, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You dont have anything to worry about. Now say if you were buying a 6speed Vette then I would think you should learn on another vehicle first. The tC can handle it for sure, just dont pull any clutch dumps or anything like that.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think you should worry about the clutch. The engine can handle stalling. Your clutch will surely take a beating, but only to the point where it will last you until 80,000 miles (don't take that literally. Just pulling numbers out of my @$$) instead of 100,000 miles (again, made up numbers). The only real drawback is that you'll look and drive like a pure n00b for the first couple days and/or weeks.

And if you're going to be modding the crap out of the car anyways, who cares how much wear you put on the clutch? You'll just have an excuse to throw in a Stage II or III clutch and a lightweight flywheel while you're at it!
Old 07-02-2006, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't be too nervous when you stall. Unless you were born driving a stick then you have stalled a few time. I still do. Just be in a very very comfortable position. Relaxed but not too loose. You want to have good reach of the clutch pedal but not too much on it where it's hard for you to get entirely off of it. (So you don't ride the clutch). And if you sit too far back and your foot is barrely tapping the clutch, the more chances you have of stalling since the clutch wont be depressed the way it should be.

Just get comfortable driving. No worries. And also one thing I don't get about teaching someone to drive a manual, is the freak out effect. Once the car gets moving, they freak out and stall it, ON PURPOSE!. It's just like an automatic, giving it gas will make it move. And you dn't have to drive like you just got behind the wheel of a moving vehicle for the first time either. Just get the car moving and the rest is pretty easy.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:30 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

the best method i found myself in learning to drive...

is to first find the friction point... then learn on how to get there fast.

to find it and to learn some control of your left foot. i used what's called the "no gas" method.. you can read about it online. but the basic idea is being able to move the car without using the gas pedal.

engine on... clutch in... shift into 1st.... and then SLOWLY, SLOWLY let out the clutch until the car moves and doesn't stall... do it a few times letting the clutch out faster until you reach the friction point.. and let out slowly.

this develops control in your left foot. and for you to get used to where that point is.

also.. as mentioned.... for gas.. better to have too much than not enough. it's more the clutch you need to control.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you learn on a beater it won't make you so nervous about screwing up your shiny new ride. And I read ealier about someone saying to just slowly let out the clutch for 1rst gear. I have a 5spd tC ( the third manual car i've owned) and you have to give it some gas awell. When learning to drive a manual you have to remember this simple rule of thumb. Your gas pedal should mirror your cluth pedal, i.e. while slowly releasing the clutch you should gradually press on the gas, with the exception of not flooring it once the clutch is entirely engaged. Lol, especially not in 1rst gear on the tC, your sure to redline it if you're a noob. Just take your time, and have someone who knows how to drive a stick ride with you. Don't try to learn by yourself.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

I have a 5spd xA, the 4th manual I've driven) You don't need to give it gas to move, it just helps......a lot. if you can move it with out gas, it's more difficult to stall, but like I said earlier, if you drive a stick every day, you WILL stall about once a month or so. It sux but it happens, and you just have to know that it happens and not get all nervous about it.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks all.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.standardshift.com/faq.html
Old 07-02-2006, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xSTANDxSTRONGx
I have a 5spd xA, the 4th manual I've driven) You don't need to give it gas to move, it just helps......a lot. if you can move it with out gas, it's more difficult to stall, but like I said earlier, if you drive a stick every day, you WILL stall about once a month or so. It sux but it happens, and you just have to know that it happens and not get all nervous about it.
good advice, from fellow straightedge member too, sweet
Old 07-02-2006, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

practice practice practice! my tc was my first stick and i learned on it. your will stall! so get that out of your mind, dont be embarrsed cuase everyone and there mom that drives a stick learned at some point and they stalled. plractice at night on a empty street or in a parking lot. you probly wont want to but go for hills cuase if you ever drive somewere and hit a hill you will be ready and hopefully wont panic and peel out.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cough cough.. or you just do a massive burnout showing off the tc in front of a crowd... cough cough

:-D
Old 07-02-2006, 09:16 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

ummmm.. no.

Quick Reply: Never driven a clutch, problems?