Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

New to automotive

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member

Default New to automotive

Hey,
I've been browsing through Scion Life for a couple months now with only a couple posts... Anyways, ever since I turned 16 I've been gettin into cars and want to learn more. I just want to know if there are any websites I can look into, to learn a little bit more. Or are there any classes for teens I can take to learn a bit more.

~Thanks
Old 07-29-2005, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

its good that your interested man.... just keep reading forums..talk to people...(in real life).. ask questions ..pick up some car mags for basic things howstuffworks.com is useful......the more your into somthing the more naturally it comes to you...
Old 07-29-2005, 07:34 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Look around howstuffworks.com for technical stuff. If you're looking for more industry-related stuff, check out autoblog.com or autoweek.com.

There are also some good shows out there on TV. The Speed Channel should be where you start.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by f1nch
its good that your interested man.... just keep reading forums..talk to people...(in real life).. ask questions ..pick up some car mags for basic things howstuffworks.com is useful......the more your into somthing the more naturally it comes to you...
Werd
Old 07-29-2005, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wanted to make a quick comment regarding car magazines. They're a great resource, provided you pick the right ones. Stay away from things like Sport Compact Car, Super Street, Import Tuner, etc. Instead, go with Car and Driver, Motor Trend, Road & Track, AutoWeek, or MPH. They're more reputable and put more effort into truly reviewing and learning about cars, as opposed to just modification. Road & Track Speed is a great magazine if you're into the mods, too... keeps some credibility in it.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you want the, force yourself to learn method, buy an old car and restore it. Provided you have the money of course. However, to pick up an old 80's sports car that runs, its a good fix up and it should run enough to have fun with it.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would have to agree with everyone. Magazines are a great resource. Also you said you just turned 16, so when you go to high school make sure you take an auto shop class. This will really help you to start to understand the in's and out's of the automobile. Finally, dont be affraid to ask questions if you dont understand and realize everyone here on this forum has been in your situation at one time. Good Luck.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

even a small engines class will always be useful no matter what you do in life. if you can figure out a lawnmower engine you can probably figure out a car engine. being 16 something like a go cart is much cheaper than a 2nd car that needs to be fixed. learn on that and save up for the old car to restore. for the college people formula sae or mini baja are great learning things and they are free to you and you dont need to be an engineer. we had a biology major on our team 1 year.