Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

New driver's side door window

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member

Default New driver's side door window

So I'm going out to my car this morning to go to work, and all of a sudden I see glass on the road. I look at my driver's side door window and it's smashed. I call up the police to make a police report and they're already rolling through my neighborhood taking reports from everyone. They actually got to me and started my report before the dispatcher called out to them. Apparently they told me someone was going around shooting out windows of cars with a beebee gun or something and I was the fifth they had seen so far. So for now my tC is garage bound until I can get a new driver's side window for it.

Before anyone asks, no I don't have pics of the damage. I didn't have time and the police saw what they needed.

Already made claim with insurance company to get window replaced ASAP, but from what I've been seeing on this board it might be awhile. I've already done a search and couldn't find any instances of having the side door windows replaced, but has anyone else had to? If so, how long did it take to get the new glass?
Old 08-29-2005, 10:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yah back in Feb I had some kids do a smash and grab in front of my house. Had to be kids cause all they took was a CD caase full of burnt CD's. It happend over the weekend, but cause my deductable is 500 so I didn't want to claim it. I called that Monday and order the window, it was aroudn 200 give or take some, and they had it at the dealer the next day. Only took a few hours for them to do the install. Though all and all it sucked to have a 2 and half month old char broken into by stupid punk kids that didn't even get anything woth it. Oh after wards I was told some insurance have a differnt deductable for windows than collision. Might want to look into that.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

putting in a window doesn't take long. i'd say i could prolly do one in 20-30mins.

but chances are you're a first timer. and you have a ton of glass to vaccuum out.

i'd ballpark an hour. you gotta take the door panel off and remove the plastic enough so it's out of your way. the window is only held in by two bolts. you have to move the window down so the bolts line up with holes in the door.

drop the new one in, bolt it. make sure everything runs smooth. button it up. the end
Old 08-30-2005, 02:47 AM
5 Year Member

I guess I wasn't clear enough in my post. I'm not wondering about the installation time, but getting the window. Talking to Safelite today they told me they had to order through one of the local Toyota dealers to get the glass, Denbigh Toyota/Scion. I asked them to rush the delivery as my car is currently garage bound, but they quoted it being three to four days. Knowing my luck as of late which has been very very bad it'll take a month. I'm gonna contact a few dealers around here tomorrow to see if they can get it any faster. I'm thinking McGeorge's in Richmond might be able to help me out, they sure haven't failed me yet. I would drive up there on Wednesay and put it in on the spot if they could get it by then.

I'd be happy if all I had to worry about was installation at this point. If Safelite ends up getting the glass for me I'm gonna let them install it due to lack of time and not knowing when they'll bring it by my place. If I end up getting it myself I'm gonna either toss it in immediately myself or let the Scion dealership right beside my work install it.

Worst part of this is I thought I had full glass coverage with my insurance, but found out today that I don't cause my insurance rep didn't enter the correct coverages in that I asked for. Instead I have to pay out of pocket unless by slim chance the police catch the jerk(s) who did it. And here I thought I was gonna buy myself a TRD quickshifter this week, silly me I'm buying myself a new window.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea installeed a new window only take 20 min max! Nothing so hard about it.