Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

New tires on the tC...thinking ahead

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default New tires on the tC...thinking ahead

All tCs come with the Potenza RE92 from Bridgestone. So far I like how they grip the road. Comments on these tires? Any comments on possible replacement tires when that time comes around? Any recommendations? Just the standard stuff for my tC...I'm not doing any modifications.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hopefully these tires will last 30,000 to 40,000 miles but below is a review (positive by the way).

The Potenza RE92 is a High Performance All-Season tire designed for sports coupes and sports sedans. It was developed to provide responsive handling and year round traction, even in light snow. Internally, the Potenza RE92 features twin steel belts reinforced by spiral-wrapped nylon belt edge strips (for H-speed rated sizes) or a full spiral-wrapped cap ply along with single belt edge strips (for V-speed rated sizes). The Potenza RE92 uses a polyester cord body to help deliver a smooth ride along with responsive handling.

On the outside, the Potenza RE92 features a computer-enhanced tread design to minimize tread noise while interlocking triangulated tread blocks, circumferential tread grooves and an all-season tread compound provide traction on dry, wet and light snow-covered roads.

Out on the road, our team found the Potenza RE92 traded a little ride comfort for improved handling, especially in steering response. Tread noise was moderate, and ride quality was just a bit firm, allowing some of the harshness of expansion joints and other sharp bumps to pass through to the driver.

The payback for a modestly firm ride was found on the dry test track, where the Potenza RE92 posted the best average times for slalom, skid pad cornering and overall lap time. The Potenza RE92 was praised for its steering response, and confidence under hard braking.

On the wet track, the Potenza RE92 did not feel quite as confident as it did in the dry, posting the third best average overall lap time, nearly 1 second behind the first-place Goodyear Eagle RS-A.

Kevin
Old 07-07-2004, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

these are the same tires that are on the wrx... wrx owners complain that they suck... some people like them, some hate them... it's just personal preference...
Old 07-07-2004, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You want your tires to last 40,000miles? If so, they wouldnt be much of performance tires then...

For your next choice, I would reccomend some of the premium sport tires, such as S03's, but of course, while providing a lot of more grip, they will also get spent after 10k-15k miles, as every other performance tire...
Old 07-07-2004, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the stock tires on the tC are great and its the same ones that are on the 3rd gen integra type r. unfortunately they're not going to last too long if you drive your tC hard. that's the price owners pay for performance. if you play you have to pay.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am not extremelly happy with the original tires... but they will do.... for replacements I think the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S are good tires, especially for the price. For low price tires Kumoh ECSTA ASX are good tires, Kumoh makes great tires for the very low price they sell at. These are both All Season tires also.... being from Chicago I dont even look at Summer tires, so I dont know much about them.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:42 AM
tb
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Being a previous WRX owner, the RE92s suck hardcore.

I ran them well past the treadwear mark, you could see the steel belts on one of them :o But they lasted about 33,000 before you really had to change them.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

RE92s are trash. They wear out quickly, don't grip the road all that well, and suck in the snow and rain. They are OEM on a bunch of cars because they are cheap. You should replace them with something like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by iZero
RE92s are trash. They wear out quickly, don't grip the road all that well, and suck in the snow and rain. They are OEM on a bunch of cars because they are cheap. You should replace them with something like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.
If they are "trash", then why are so many reviews pretty positive on this tire?

Kevin
Old 07-07-2004, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member

most of the reviews are for a shot time and they guess how long they will last acording to there finding. On my cooper s i have a set of 215/45/17 from Wanli, which is a identical set of tires as the yokohama avs sport tire they are remarkable and i plan on getting the same tire mabe up the size one to 225/45/17 not shure yet if they will fit. anyone else got any info on what tier can fit on a stock tC and on a tC with the TRD springs?
thanks
Old 07-07-2004, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just looked at the bridgestone site. For the RE92 (which looks pretty damn not sporty to me) it also mentions that they are OEM on the Camry. If it comes on the camry, it's not a performance tire. I'm sure it's a fine mix of handling and comfort, but it isn't what I'm looking for. I can also tell by the tread pattern that it isn't going to be wonderful in the rain, so if I got the car I'd have to swap them all out for something better anyway. I don't even remember what I had put on my Integra but they are mud and snow rated and stick like a champ. I love those tires... going to have to go back to where I got 'em and figure out what they are.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member

these are the tires i have on my cooper s

there is another pict

i use these in scca and they are awsome. as soon as i get my car these are going on i have 4 wating for the car to arive
and for $59 on ebay you can't beat the price.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member

:?: no one has any imput?
Old 07-07-2004, 08:16 PM
Emo
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Soulbringer
On what? your tires? good job! < there's your input :D

-Emo
Old 07-07-2004, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had a wrx also and it's a common complaint that the tires suck. they suck if you enjoy taking turns in the rain at 80mph...if you use your car for basic transportation, then they are fine. all depends on what you expect out of a stock tire
Old 07-07-2004, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

these tires do suck
no grip
Old 07-07-2004, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Soulbringer
sorry, those tires look the looks, i wouldnt put them on my car if they gave them away for free. I am glad you like them...
Old 07-08-2004, 01:44 AM
5 Year Member

My RE92's are already messed up.
My girlfriend went over a small curb and the sidewall of the tire got torn (ouch...)
I was really shocked that it got torn from such a small impact...
I'm already planning to get Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 or 711...very very soon...
Old 07-08-2004, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by fearturtle44
Originally Posted by iZero
If they are "trash", then why are so many reviews pretty positive on this tire?

Kevin
Because most people are stupid and simply replace what is on the vehicle with exactly the same tire, never doing any real research on other brands or models.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pvt joker
i had a wrx also and it's a common complaint that the tires suck. they suck if you enjoy taking turns in the rain at 80mph...if you use your car for basic transportation, then they are fine. all depends on what you expect out of a stock tire
Yeah, except for their ability to provide traction and longevity, they are great.

Quick Reply: New tires on the tC...thinking ahead