Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Newbie wants cheap power

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 06:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dont buy the AEM intake or the TRD exhaust.

The AEM intake from the dealer is not cheap, and I dont know how they have the intake. Our dealer said its not out yet and pretty much no other dealers have them.
The TRD exhaust is just an axle-back, Im sure little or no gains are seen.

Cheap power goes as far as the tools you have at your house. Take off the air box and run open MAS. Also pulling off that little box on the intake pipe and pluging the hole would free some power. Another thing that could be done is running some sort of cold air extention outside the engine bay. As a ram air effect.
Taking the exhaust off after the 2nd cat would free good power also. Even open header would see some great gains. No need to worrie about backpressure since the cat should create enough.

These mods should be temporary (track runs, street races). Running with no filter is not good for the motor. Other than that the others wont hurt it.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

AEM makes good intakes, and it's worth getting it from the dealership. it has the bypass so it won't let water into the engine should you drive through a deep enough puddle, and if it does happen to happen (maybe a 1 in billion chance) it's under warrenty since you got it from the dealer.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats why im leaning toward the dealer intake all trd exhaust, because of the warranty stuff, im not looking to race.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by onefunkyfreshdj
Just put a whole bunch of stickers on the car... each one adds 4-6hp!!
hahaha, your so funnyy!!
Old 12-06-2004, 10:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by cinccycat
thats why im leaning toward the dealer intake all trd exhaust, because of the warranty stuff, im not looking to race.
ah, those stuff arent "cheap" vs getting the same product aftermarket, but if you wanna keep your warranty then that seems to be the route for you. if you wanted power, then there was a saying i heard somewhere, "you gotta pay to play"
Old 12-09-2004, 08:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tc is for turbo charged
Because I am waiting for the SC I am probably going to wait to see what intake comes with it. Meanwhile I took off the resonator and capped it with a PVC cap from home depot (57 cents), dropped in a K&N filter (i think it was for a 2003 corolla, $55), and replaced the weenie Jap horns with Flamm freeway blasters.

It makes the car growl a little more under WOT. More hp? I can tell there is a little more there. For under sixty bucks you can't beat it.
Removing your resonator will MAKE YOU LOSE POWER. It is not just a silencer. Rather, it tunes the resonate frequencies of the intake system. Take a very simple engine as an example, a single cylinder. During the intake stroke, the piston in the engine moves downward. At the intake valve there will be a pressure drop relative to the pressure at the open end of the intake. A rarefaction wave travels from the intake valve to the open end of the intake and is reflected as a compression wave. Ideally, you want to have the compression wave arrive back at the intake valve just as the valve starts closing. The cylinder then receives air at a pressure greater than normal atmospheric pressure. This can yield greater volumetric efficiencies without the use of forced induction.

Here is a link: http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott...resonator.html

Note it specifically states: Complete removal of the resonator saw a steady loss of power throughout the rev range of 4kW (7% loss!! peak power was 55kW).

Don't remove that resonator until you get true forced induction.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

with all them big words and such a long winded paragraph I'd have to say not to take off the resonator too

I think i went cross-eyed about half-way through that paragraph, but I recovered.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:21 AM
5 Year Member

My GOD that's getting so old...
Old 05-15-2005, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="panasoanic"]
Removing your resonator will MAKE YOU LOSE POWER. It is not just a silencer. Rather, it tunes the resonate frequencies of the intake system. Take a very simple engine as an example, a single cylinder. During the intake stroke, the piston in the engine moves downward. At the intake valve there will be a pressure drop relative to the pressure at the open end of the intake. A rarefaction wave travels from the intake valve to the open end of the intake and is reflected as a compression wave. Ideally, you want to have the compression wave arrive back at the intake valve just as the valve starts closing. The cylinder then receives air at a pressure greater than normal atmospheric pressure. This can yield greater volumetric efficiencies without the use of forced induction.
Riemann would be proud.

One major simplifying feature of one dimensional flows is that for many purposes wave interactions can be interpreted as local binary interactions between nearly constant flow regions. This is to say the local structure of a flow is characterized by Riemann problems and their solutions. This was one of the key properties exploited by Glimm in his proof of the convergence of the random choice method. The situation in higher space dimensions is considerably more complicated. Waves can exhibit complex behaviors in both space and time. A simple example is the steady state refraction of a shock wave through a material interface. In one dimension this is easily described by a Riemann problem and yields a solution that consists of a transmitted shock and a reflection shock or rarefaction wave. Momentum is transferred from the shock to the material interface, which causes the velocity of the interface to change after the refraction. In contrast the two dimensional refraction of a plane shock with a planar material interface exhibits a variety of behaviors depending upon the orientation of the two interfaces with respect to each other. This can range from simple one dimensional behavior if the fronts are parallel, through a series of steady state configurations if the angle of interaction is small, to extremely complex unsteady interactions for other configurations.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Incipit
My GOD that's getting so old...
What's OLD is that was posted in December and you bumped it for nothing.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

NAWS - JdM drift0 tyte life 1/4 mile at a time dawg.

NO2 would be the cheapest power adder if you don't use it too often. All these race headers exhausts and intakes is just not worth it for the price.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

MagnaFlow has a cat-back exhaust system. Cheap power gains. I'd have to go with either the k&n typhoon, or weapon R secret weapon short ram + headers + a cat-back exhaust. The 3 in combination should run yah about 900 bucks, Flywheel is about 25-30 lbs lighter than stock and will increase torque numbers above 3k rpms and increase acceleration off the line. that goes for about 500 bucks. never hurts to upgrade the clutch either. Not really direct hp gains but it will make yah faster. the stage 3 from clutch masters is also about 500 bucks. Since the tC has a pseudo cold air intake, you probably could get a couple horses from just a high flow filter (available from trd and k&n i believe) for 75 bucks or so.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

you want cheap power, strip out your interior and go lightweight. rermove spare tire, etc etc.

carbon fiber hood and trunk and lightweight wheels. those are pricey but are good steps for power applied correctly.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

pulleys, exhaust and CAI
Old 05-17-2005, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if i were you, i'd wait the warranty. but i'm not you. you are definitely one who needs to wait the warranty. no disrespect but you really need to wait the warranty.

that whole "keep 'em coming" thing ain't good. imho, you need to wait the warranty.

your pocketbook may be ahead of your knowledge. no disrespect.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:26 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by surfcity40
your pocketbook may be ahead of your knowledge.
Those kind of people keep this economy going. Spend, man, spend!
Old 05-18-2005, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="surfcity40"]
Originally Posted by panasoanic
Riemann would be proud.

One major simplifying feature of one dimensional flows is that for many purposes wave interactions can be interpreted as local binary interactions between nearly constant flow regions. This is to say the local structure of a flow is characterized by Riemann problems and their solutions. This was one of the key properties exploited by Glimm in his proof of the convergence of the random choice method. The situation in higher space dimensions is considerably more complicated. Waves can exhibit complex behaviors in both space and time. A simple example is the steady state refraction of a shock wave through a material interface. In one dimension this is easily described by a Riemann problem and yields a solution that consists of a transmitted shock and a reflection shock or rarefaction wave. Momentum is transferred from the shock to the material interface, which causes the velocity of the interface to change after the refraction. In contrast the two dimensional refraction of a plane shock with a planar material interface exhibits a variety of behaviors depending upon the orientation of the two interfaces with respect to each other. This can range from simple one dimensional behavior if the fronts are parallel, through a series of steady state configurations if the angle of interaction is small, to extremely complex unsteady interactions for other configurations.
Bah humbug I say. I just painted the PVC cap with truck bed liner, how you like that? And I am wearing NISMO badges

----------> 5 minutes later...

Ok, I'm putting the damn thing back on. Just came back from http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott...resonator.html and it seems to make sense to me. Oh well. Maybe I can find a vaccum line to tie off for fun...
Old 05-18-2005, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

like someone before said...cheapest power is always nitrous. just dont abuse it, warranty is a b*tch to claim