2005-2010 [ANT10]

noooooo

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default noooooo

ah, man. i f-ed up. was driving around tonight, perfectly sober just drivin around cause i love doing it. and hit one turn a little too fast (not normal for me--i almost NEVER drive around aggressive or fast). caught on the side of the road a bit with lots of gravel and spun out. there's a large embankment on the side and ended up going right up it and the back side right over the gas lid smashed into a telephone pole.

i was able to drive home fine and no airbags went off, so i guess it's not too bad. but the front bumper got all messed up from hitting the bank, and obviously the side is f-ed too. the wheel itself looks to be ok, but all around it is smashed in. this really sucks man. i'm perfectly fine though, and noone else was hurt (or even nearby--was an empty back road).

i know it's probably hard to judge without pictures, but can you guys guess how much this is going to cost me? I can try to get some pics later. also, is this gonna send me insurance through the roof? i'm a 20-year-old male, so it already really sucks.

ugh, just wanted to vent. i LOVE my car and almost always drive safe and smart. i slipped up once and fcked up real good.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:31 AM
SL Member

Sorry to hear that man. Its gonna depend on your insurance company whether or not rates will rise and by how much. I had a mishap last fall spent like all day cleaning my car up for a show the next day.. take it out for a drive and a damnn deer runs in front of me.. i swerve around it and through some bushes.. replaced front bumped and scratchs all down the left of my car... still see the deep scratchs but insurance didnt really rise. GL
Old 04-04-2010, 06:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Roads are unreliably kept so you don't always know what pot hole, gravel, or what not is around the next bend; Please keep it on the track for your own safety if not everyone elses.

The worst part of your collision is where you smashed in around the gas lid. Rear quarter panels are not cheap to replace, they have to be stitch welded back on i believe. That panel is huge too it runs part of the roof 3/4s of the way across the top of your window. Expect to pay big on that part.

Front bumpers - 300 + paint (stealership price)
Rear quarter - 2000 + paint (this is a guess)

Id have your car checked on a lift too make sure you didn't hurt the suspension. It sounds like you slide on the gravel and when that much weight slides into/over a bump it can tweak it good.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn. yea, i'm afraid the suspension may have gotten messed up a bit, cause it was fairly steep embankment i went up.

also, there's a gap now in between the trunk and the tail light. honestly i didn't look too close at the car cause it was just really bumming me out, but would that get fixed with the side? or is the whole back ____ed as well...
Old 04-04-2010, 07:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

pictures pictures pictures
Old 04-04-2010, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn sorry to hear that man
Old 04-04-2010, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There goes my insurance...
Old 04-05-2010, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ack154
There goes my insurance...
yea man, i hate the whole insurance bs. i pay as much a year for my insurance as i do car payments. i was actually hoping to pay off my car loan this or next month (might not be able to now) and get some really cheap insurance without collision. just cause it's so annoying. i pay a boatload of cash in case something like this happens... and then when it does happen, i just end up paying MORE cash.

i think i'm better off just getting crap insurance and then paying for any issues out of my own pocket. or maybe not... i dunno, just ____ed at that stuff. then again, i haven't actually contacted my insurance yet, but i'm positive they'll make my rate sky rocket.

i have a ____ty camera so these pics aren't real good. the front bumper's actually a lot worse than what's shown in the picture. i'm afraid that it might need some work beyond just the bumper though (for the front, i mean). suspension has to be ____ed... UGH worst easter ever haha.
Attached Thumbnails noooooo-asdf1.jpg   noooooo-asdf2.jpg  
Old 04-05-2010, 01:00 AM
SL Member

i would say you got "lucky" as your rear quaterpanel looks like the only thing damaged in the back(windows, tail light, rear bumper, wheel look unscratched). i would say repair the rear quaterpanel first and hold off on repairing the front bumber cause it isnt as severe as the rear quaterpanel. if that makes any sense.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

eh, i'm not to worried 'bout that. i can just get it all fixed at once, might even go ahead and ask them to fill in the holes left from when i de-badged it. just sucks cause it'll basically put all my plans on hold... was gonna pay off the car soon, and then move to an apartment. that's gonna have to wait.

but yea, the rear panel and getting the suspension checked are the priorities. i drove it around a bit, never going more than 35. but every bump i could hear something scraping from around that wheel. i can't figure out what it is though cause nothing seems to be that close to the wheel that it'd be hitting.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well that is at least 2-3k worth of body damage, not even talking about suspension or anything
Old 04-05-2010, 01:41 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by DJ08tC
well that is at least 2-3k worth of body damage, not even talking about suspension or anything

i agree ^^^^ but depending on ur record and insurance it may not be as bad as ya think
Old 04-05-2010, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sefalik
i pay a boatload of cash in case something like this happens
You've got that seriously backwards. You pay a boatload of $$ BECAUSE things like this happen. I wish I were joking about that... but seriously... this was a totally stupid thing to do but exactly why your insurance considers you a high risk and makes you pay more money.

Something like this is not why you pay a lot of money for insurance. A tree falling on your car or someone hitting you and running would by why you pay for insurance - no matter what the money. Not because of something you do that is stupid and then hope insurance will fix it.

Doing something stupid and then being upset at how much you pay for insurance is just kind of ironic.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is simply the reason why you have collision coverage. you pay for it...so when something like this happens, you use it. and there you have it. will your rates go up? that is a very likely possibility. they almost certainly won't go down. but yeah, you pay for it, so use it.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Doing something stupid and then being upset at how much you pay for insurance is just kind of ironic.
uh, hold on now. yes, i'm young. yes, i'm not as experienced of a driver as older people, but does that make my accident just me being "stupid?" c'mon man. it was night. i was on a back road (no lights, no signs signaling turns and whatnot). i was going the speed limit but didn't see the turn coming up and couldn't slow down quick enough one i did (was a 90 degree turn). it's an honest accident.

i see what you mean with the insurance though. but i just wanted to point that ^ out cause it kinda irked me that you kept blaming my accident basically on me being stupid... inexperienced? i'll take that.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

uh, hold on now. yes, i'm young. yes, i'm not as experienced of a driver as older people, but does that make my accident just me being "stupid?" c'mon man. it was night. i was on a back road (no lights, no signs signaling turns and whatnot). i was going the speed limit but didn't see the turn coming up and couldn't slow down quick enough one i did (was a 90 degree turn). it's an honest accident.

i see what you mean with the insurance though. but i just wanted to point that ^ out cause it kinda irked me that you kept blaming my accident basically on me being stupid... inexperienced? i'll take that.
You're young and you're driving one of the most ticketed cars in America. Insurance companies don't care about YOU, they care about the statistics. And guess what, you just fit right into the statistic as to why the tC is so expensive to insure.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You said yourself that you took the corner a little too fast... so you KNEW you were doing something potentially unsafe. That, IMO, is stupid.

You sound like you should know better and I believe you probably do - but you just didn't do very well at showing that.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea, funny thing is i had no clue how "bad' the tC was as far as insurance goes until after i bought it. i was like, it's a toyota so it should be pretty reliable. it's small (hate driving large vehicles) but has a ton of space inside. gets decent mileage. it's within my price range. and i think it looks cool. PERFECT! haha, then i went to my insurance... ouch lol.

You said yourself that you took the corner a little too fast... so you KNEW you were doing something potentially unsafe. That, IMO, is stupid.
but i took the corner too fast because i couldn't slow down enough... i didn't purposely go into it too fast. if anything, i was "stupid" for not seeing the turn coming. should've had the high beams on, and should've been paying closer attention. i work 3rd shift so i think i've gotten too comfortable always driving around when it's completely dark. i guess i forget sometimes that night driving requires more care than in full light, just cause probably 70% of the time i'm driving is at night. but hey... at least i learned at the expense of my car (and lots of money) as opposed to me getting injured. or worse, injuring someone else.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:32 PM

Hate to hear abou your mishap, but you said it yourself it was night time on a back road with no lights. Lol. Those might be some of the worst conditions for aggressive driving.

And when it comes to insurance....you don't wanna imagine what a mustang is for people our age haha.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Your suppose to adjust your speeds at night and in rain/snow accordingly, so actually it was reckless if a curve appeared out of no where causing all of this. Sad if I had a 350z it would be cheaper to insure than the tC given the people that drive them

We all make mistakes though, just have to learn from them and not continue down the path to what made the mistakes in the first place.

Quick Reply: noooooo