Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

One problem with car!!!! Fellow tC owners please confirm

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member

Default One problem with car!!!! Fellow tC owners please confirm

I love this car, but I've been noticing something alot. When I'm driving sometimes, usually slow taking a turn or turning onto a inclined driveway or a small bump, I hear a loud crick/creak sound thing from the sunroof area. Anyone else have the same thing happening? I was driving around this morning and it happened at leat 4 times. I noticed it a few times yesterday. It doesn't sound good - and reminds me of when my friend was driving his vr6 and out of no where his sunroof just spidered out from nothing (most likely was ac being turned on when really really hot). Anyway, not a big deal but the sound doesn't seem normal. I don't know if it happens only when sunroof is open or not either b/c i been driving with it open all the time.

Also....a intangible pro to this car. Don't you just feel money driving it around? lol. This sweet car nobody knows what the hell it is? I love it. I love just cruising around with this thing.

aight gotta go test out this mr. clean thing and burn some mp3 cd's yay!
Old 07-03-2004, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd definetally talk to your dealer about that... if it's that loud... seems like someone else would have posted around here by now if it was doing that on every tC.
Old 07-03-2004, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Talk to the dealer, I have not herd of that problem before, maybe body flex?? Regardless you should not be hearing that noise and need to get it checked out
Old 07-03-2004, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No sounds here and I have to drive over speedbumps.
Old 07-03-2004, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member

Nope, sorry, but I drive the hell out of the thing and I get no creaking nose.

Ill check it out more, but up till now, nothing.
Old 07-03-2004, 05:41 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Strictly Scionized
SL Member

One thing I noticed, was the little plastic/cloth coverings that you slide back and forth by hand.... those will flap in the wind if the windows are down.... are you sure thats not what you are hearing?

If not, I agree with the other comments about having the dealership look at it.
Old 07-03-2004, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member

are you sure it is the sunroof and not the dash ???

when it happens again push on a silver portion of the center dash and apply pressure While applying pressure then try to make it happen again...
Old 07-03-2004, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member

No it's def not the cover or something like that. It definately sounds like it's coming from the front right side of the roof, like around where the windshield meets the roof. Somebody mentioned body flex...the sound does seem like it could be something like that. I guess it happens often enough that you guys are right and someone else would have noticed it. That sucks. Dealer's closed til tuesday. I still love the thing.

The mr. clean thing is pretty good too btw in case anyone was wondering.
Old 07-04-2004, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I drove around for a good 30 miles last night with no music and the car was super quiet. No rattles, creaks or squeaks. Hope you figure out what the noise is. :?
Old 07-04-2004, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chral
No it's def not the cover or something like that. It definately sounds like it's coming from the front right side of the roof, like around where the windshield meets the roof. Somebody mentioned body flex...the sound does seem like it could be something like that. I guess it happens often enough that you guys are right and someone else would have noticed it. That sucks. Dealer's closed til tuesday. I still love the thing.

The mr. clean thing is pretty good too btw in case anyone was wondering.
i have the same noise...it's def coming from the right front corner of the sunroof. I'm taking it back in at the 1,000 mile mark for the free check up/oil change, so i'll talk to them then about it. it happens when the sunroof is open or closed, only when hitting a bump though and not all of the time. weird.
Old 07-04-2004, 03:30 AM
5 Year Member

Okay, so I had to join so I could post a reply to this. Mine has the same noise and it is definatley coming from the sun roof. It sounds almost as if it is making a settling noise, like when a house settles. Anyways, it only happens once in a while, but the only time it happens is when my car has been sitting in the sun all morning and when I leave work on my lunch break it creeks when I go off the tiny little bump on the driveway. I guess for me I have just decided its because of the heat. It's so intermintent it is hard to tell really why its happening. Let me know what the dealer says. Good to know I am not the only one to experience this.
Old 07-04-2004, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mine is like when i hit a bump, i have a 50% chance of hearing "the noise"
Old 07-04-2004, 04:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

May be worth checking to see if the sunroof leaks then. It seems like any problems that are to be had with these cars are going to be with the sunroof and the wind noise with the windows down.
Old 07-04-2004, 05:41 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mudd
...the wind noise with the windows down.

This car has notable wind noise even with the windows up (and moon roof and sunshades closed).
Old 07-04-2004, 06:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

great.. once i knew the roof was glass.. i knew something had to go wrong .. i'm just hoping it wont gib me trouble or if it does.. it does so during the warrenty period .. im curious to know what the roof is exactly made up.. i know glass.. but what type or something ..
Old 07-04-2004, 06:34 AM
5 Year Member

ok...i'm a little drunk so bear with me. i tried to pinpoint it a little better. i think it's less of a sunroof creak and more of a windshield creak. It'd def upper right over the driver side. i def feel better about it b/c i'm not the only one anymore and one of my friends says his car used to do the same thing. I have to go back to dealer next week to get my plates and i'll mention it to them. we'll see what happens. at least i'm not the only one.

oh yeah, i was concered about a leak too, but i washed the car today with the mr clean thing and it worked great. I hosed up the roof of the car point blank for a while to check leaks. nothing. no leaks. but the only thing i noticed is the trunk. the spaces between the hatch drain the water and it pours out at the bottom of the tailights so it left to trails of water leaking there. fine for rain, but if you wash the car, make sure to go back and dry correctly b/c it will leave two trails.

i love this frickin car.,
Old 07-04-2004, 08:01 AM
5 Year Member

I tested a tC that had this problem. The Scion guy with me noticed it right away, too. Major creaking on any turn fast or slow, especially if uphill or downhill while also making the turn. These were not aggressive turns - just normal driving. Also heard the creaking 90% of the time going over even small bumps in the road while going straight (fast or slow), but not as loud as on turns. Same with sunroof open or closed (with or without indoor cover closed). It seemed not quite as loud to us (Scion rep and me) with the sunroof cover closed, but I can't be sure of that.

Very scary noise. You'll know it if you hear it. Makes your heart skip a beat and not in a good way.

This was not rattling or anything rubbing, but sounded like glass or metal creaking under stress. It was predictable - look, there's a bump up there in the road - CREAK. Turn - CREAK. The car was a new delivery and had very few test miles on it.

I haven't closed on one yet and this is a major concern. For this to be happening when the car is being "stressed" by up/down/right/left makes me worry that this is structural. I hope it's just a windshield that wasn't sized or seated right and NOT something like sunroof issues or weak weld seams with roof/sides (if there are any - don't know).

Please post if you get a dealer answer to this problem. I'm going to call the dealership back next week and talk to the rep to see what the tech's said. He told me that he'd have them look into it. I'll post when I hear something.

Edit: We thought the creaking was coming from overhead. But, I'm not saying that it couldn't be coming from the windshield for others. From the posts so far, it seems like there are degrees of the problem. The car I was in sounded worse than some of you are describing - it creaked virtually all of the time when stressed by turns/bumps/dips in the road and it was LOUD. Anyway, I hope Toyota/Scion is all over this one and fixes it fast.
Old 07-04-2004, 12:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

at least the windshield isn't cracking. the first run of WRX's in 2002 had the wrong windshield in them. a bunch of them cracked just from the rigidity of the car

i have a feeling this sound is coming from a part of the sunroof, but i could be wrong. it seems like if it was the windshield you would have a leak because of the movement
Old 07-04-2004, 01:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

But, but, but the car is made in Japan by Toyota. I has to be the best-built vehicle on the planet! Seriously though, cutting huge holes in the roof really decreases the structural rigidity of a car. On top of that hatchbacks seem to flex a bit more than sedans.
Old 07-04-2004, 02:23 PM
fry
5 Year Member

Isn't it wierd that people are waiting to contact there dealers about this problem instead of doing it right now?

Quick Reply: One problem with car!!!! Fellow tC owners please confirm