Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Opinions of your tC

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Opinions of your tC

Just curious what all or any of you think about your tC now that you have had them for a while and had a chance to put some miles on them!

I currently have 32,450 and it has done good, been reliable, driven nicely, but I have noticed some things that are no so Toyota quality:

Dash has skweaking sounds from about 5 places.
Rear hatch skweaks.
Sunroof skweaks (nothing new - most people have experienced that).
Sunroof leaks small amounts of air when fully closed.
Road noise going down the free way at any speed above 50mph is horrible.
The transmission (5M/T) sucks.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i love my tC. i have 520 miles on it and have experienced no squeeks or rattles at all. i guess they fixed those problems with the late 05's. i plan on keeping this car forever unless i win the lottery. i love my scion!!
Old 04-28-2005, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I have about 2,500 miles on mine, and I haven't had any problems. I will admit that the road noise is pretty bad but compared to the other cars I have owned the tc wins hands down
Old 04-28-2005, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

12.5 k, no rattles or issues, and I think the 5spd rocks. Smooth shifting and I love the gearing.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have 1200 miles on mine. Really don't have any problem with the car so far. The 5spd is s bit different not as smooth as i taught it would be but really not a big deal.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

almost 5,000 miles. it's runs well. paint and rims are easy to screw up though.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya, I ordered mine the day after they came on the market for retail sale. So I suppose that everything is not as good as the later ones. But that's cool, it is still a very good car for the money, and I would still take it over the new Civic, RSX, or any of the Domestic line up.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Had mine for 6 months now going on 7, i have 4,100 miles on it now. Running smoothly, i do have the rear hatch rattle in the back...other then that it's quite..havent noticed road noise on the freeway though, it's pretty quite to me. The only thing about my 5 speed is sometimes its hard to get into reverse and 2nd gear when it's cold kinda crunches when it goes in..but its fine when it warms up. Other then that absolutley love the car.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got mine in end of dec, just about to hit 6000 miles. one thing that really bugs me is my shifter rattles at 5th gear when i go above 3k rpm. i'd have to put my hand on the **** and slightly push on it to reduce the rattle. this is only above 3k. i'm going to have the dealer look at it when i go in for my 2nd oil change.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

There are a few things that I would change. I'd want the A/C to blow more forcefully. I'd want the road noise to all but dissapear. I'm not too crazy about the gearing or the hp, but I can change the hp rating.

I do however love the sun/moonroof and the power windows. I also like the fact that you can recline the front drives and passengers seats 180 degress. I also love the movable rear seat backs.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What are the issues with the transmission? What problems do people report? If you are having rough shift problems try redline 75w90 MT-90 synthetic gear oil. It works very well and helps to smooth shifting. MK2 supras have a 2nd to 3rd shift glitch and it helps to smooth the upshift.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Re: Opinions of your tC

Originally Posted by Kamikazi
Just curious what all or any of you think about your tC now that you have had them for a while and had a chance to put some miles on them!

I currently have 32,450 and it has done good, been reliable, driven nicely, but I have noticed some things that are no so Toyota quality:

Dash has skweaking sounds from about 5 places.
Rear hatch skweaks.
Sunroof skweaks (nothing new - most people have experienced that).
Sunroof leaks small amounts of air when fully closed.
The transmission (5M/T) sucks.

i have all those probs and except the tranny...
i've adapted to the tranny so no probs here. 27k miles on my car

but i enjoy every bit of my car.

wat did you expect from a $16k car? hehe good for its price :D
Old 04-29-2005, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mista3
There are a few things that I would change. I'd want the A/C to blow more forcefully. I'd want the road noise to all but dissapear. I'm not too crazy about the gearing or the hp, but I can change the hp rating.

I do however love the sun/moonroof and the power windows. I also like the fact that you can recline the front drives and passengers seats 180 degress. I also love the movable rear seat backs.

My solution for the A/C was if you have no passengers close their vents and VUALA! more air through your vents! i like the air blowing on my face too, so i did this and i was happy after that.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well as for the Tranny, when I hit 462 miles with the car, 3rd gear and reverse went out. Had to get a lot of internal parts replaced, its funny because a represenative from Scion headquarters in LA flew out to my dealership, and it appeared that I have been the only case of this happening to(just lucky I guess). But anyway, since everything has been replaced, it has been a lot better, but there are times that I can not get it in to reverse, or it wont go completely into 1st and 2nd.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm pretty sure this is because of the tires. On my commute I drive on both freshly paved and not-so-freshly paved roads. On the new asphalt, the car is very quiet* (even going 70-80); but it's very loud on the older asphalt.

But the tires do great on wet roads and braking; I'll take a little noise anyday.

* My last car was a Saturn, so anything is quiet in comparison! Anyone who complains about rattles needs to drive in an old SC. The whole plastic dash just goes rattle-rattle-rattle.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I wasnt quite specific enough, because I was including - road, tires, and wind noise.

I have noticed the asphault thing too.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

today is my1 month aniversary for my pony and have 1111 miles !!!!!!! she's beautiful!
Old 04-29-2005, 02:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love my tC. I have 7300 miles on it so far, and some little things do annoy me. There are lots of unexplainable sounds. I cant even tell where they are coming from. Its a combination of squeaks, creaks, and ticking sounds. Its a very low sound, but just loud enough to barely hear. Just enough to get frustrated and say "what the hell was that and where is it coming from?!?!" Wet road noise is just awful. And driving over uneven roads is just painful.

I love the price, toyota name, standard features, looks. But I think a few years down the road I will trade it in for something else. We'll see...........
Old 04-29-2005, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Lurker Steve
I'm pretty sure this is because of the tires. On my commute I drive on both freshly paved and not-so-freshly paved roads. On the new asphalt, the car is very quiet* (even going 70-80); but it's very loud on the older asphalt.

But the tires do great on wet roads and braking; I'll take a little noise anyday.

* My last car was a Saturn, so anything is quiet in comparison! Anyone who complains about rattles needs to drive in an old SC. The whole plastic dash just goes rattle-rattle-rattle.
yep, my other car is a 96 sc1, and it surely does rattle! Of course, a few years of being pounded by two 10s doesnt help any either But I have to give it credit though, in 170,000 miles I have had to only replace the alternator! They rattle, but they will run forever when taken care of. So that is my rainy day/winter/back and forth to work car now. And the plastic body is perfect for winter here in MN.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

love my TC--3500 miles, no probs whatsoever, I get a random squeek sometimes but my friends 03 celica has more.

Quick Reply: Opinions of your tC