2005-2010 [ANT10]

Rear Hatch Strut

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 01:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Rear Hatch Strut

For the people who insist that the tC rear hatch rattle is a problem that only affects a small percentage of tCs, that is nonsense. Took my car in and was they have to order the strut to do the TSB (after they tightened the latch) and it would take 2 days for the part to arrive. 2 days later I was told the part is on back order because a lot of tCs need that fix and I have to wait 3 weeks. So I wait 3 weeks and call back today. Sorry, the part is still on back order, ETA Sept 2nd. Thats a lot of waiting...........stupid rattle. Im gonna laugh so hard if after all that, the rattle is still there.

Whats the highest trade in value for the tC mentioned on SL so far? I am seriously considering it.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So your considering tradeing in you tC because of a rattle? What else are you gonna get, this car is best in its class, so unless your gonna spend a hella lot more money your gonna buy less car no matter what you choose. To answer you question though, most tC's I see with less than 15K are usually between $500 to $1,000 less than sticker, the tC has one of the top ten best resale values in the country according to Forbes and other sources.... agian proving my point on how good of a car you already own. ( in other words- don't trade, several people have had the rattle problem, your right; but it can be fixed, and at least you didn't buy a car with 11 recalls its first year like the Focus, the tC has no recalls after 12 months of sales)
Old 08-09-2005, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey atleast you aint been waiting for a replacement seat cover for the past THREE months . I can only imagin if I had a serious accident what that would be like for replacements parts .
Old 08-09-2005, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep, I would absolutely trade the car in if the rattle issue is not resolved. The car may be great quality and run forever, but you also have to enjoy your drive. I dont find it enjoyable to have all sorts of sounds in the cabin. It's not just the hatch, but the hatch rattle is certainly the most annoying. I have clicking sounds, creaks, and some unidentifiable noises coming from the dash.

Thanks for the trade in value information. I'm at 12k miles now. So I'm gonna ask the stealerships how much they will give me. If I can get 15K or more, I just might do it.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You won't get 15K from the DEALership, thats what they can sell it for, or what you could sell it for.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have been offered 15500 for mine , 2005 with 5000 miles , but I could get more if I shopped around . Used tCs around here are going for 18 used on the lots with 24K on the clock
Old 08-09-2005, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Both of my hatch struts have completely failed. We have one heavy hatch without the aide of the struts. I have to take it into the dealer soon because I'm tired of holding the hatch open with one arm and loading with the other arm.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As for the trading of the tC , I have no room to speak on this matter . I plan to trade mine in about 6 months , going back to a pickup truck . Had a dodge ram and loved it , didnt have paint issues didnt have rattle issues , never had a prob with it . Yeah its kinda insane with gas prices the way they are to go back to a big truck . But in all honesty I will gladly pay the price of gas to be happy again . I know this post will get read by one of the LOYAL Toyota/Scion owners and I will more than likely be blow out of the water , but thats fine dont care , all I know is I am going home , home to a truck . But till I do that I will still continue to work on the tC and see if I can not do anything to contribute to resloving rattles and creeks .
Old 08-09-2005, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well its not like we are trash talking the tC, its just sharing personal experiences. So no need for anyone to start flaming. But I agree with you on paying more gas to be a happier driver. I am not a happy driver at the moment. And I am looking for ways to trade in my car for a minimum loss. But that doesnt really look possible. I still think the tC is a great car, but scion should definitely fix up the minor things that can drive a person insane while on the road.

But I am suprised at the wait time to get my struts replaced. Must mean a lot of people have this problem. (And I dont mean just on scionlife).
Old 08-09-2005, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Remember, "if it doesn't rattle, it isn't a Toyota."
Old 08-09-2005, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member

Car feels cheap with all the rattles and squeaks. Infact the whole interior feels cheap. Guess thats because its a cheap ___ car.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member

it said butt..heeheehee
Old 08-09-2005, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whole interior feels cheap? Never driven a Chevy have ya? I think the tC has a great quality interior for the price.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the interior feels very high class actually. It just SOUNDS very cheap.

But anyway I just called another toyota service to see if they can get the struts in faster that the 6 weeks eta at my dealership. Its funny how the service rep has an 05 tC as well, and we got into a whole conversation about the hatch, sunroof, and dash rattles and sounds. He was just as frustrated as me. And he said he is thinking about trading his car in because it bothers him so much.

I took down his name, and I am going to that dealership service from now on. Its nice to talk to reps who actually understand what I am going through haha.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

personally I think there are more on this board suffering from the same rattles and squeeks and just wont admit to it . I have talked to techs and they all agree almost every one of the tCs rattle and squeek like hell . I find it odd that there are SO many on this board that DONT expierence it . Yet I have a tech telling me "from a toyota dealership mind you" that most of them do it . I have ridden in older toyotas that had far more millage on them then mine and they less noisey . Makes me wonder if toyota isnt putting the quality they used to into their vehicles
Old 08-09-2005, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I too can't believe how people are getting so ticked off aobut relatively minor issues with the tC. Obviously, these owners have never dealt with real "devil" cars like VWs. The last time I had a flat on my Passat, They couldn't even find the right tire for it in the whole SF bay area, and there I was, stranded with a bum leaky mini spare that no one out there sells or stocks too, including the VW dealerships, 50 miles from home. and every tire dealer and every VW dealership I called quoted me at least a week or more to get a tire for my car IF they do find it. My brother had to wait months for new coils for his 1.8T before he could drive it again. And that was for a car that had been in the market for a few years already.
You all have to accept that the Scion tC is so new and so popular that initial parts shortage is almost a given. The supply would eventually catch up to the demand once Toyota has a better idea of how many cars will end up on the road in the near future.
This talk of trading it in because of a rattle is just sounds so overreacting after coming from VW ownership! JMO!

Chombi
Old 08-09-2005, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Chombi
I too can't believe how people are getting so ticked off aobut relatively minor issues with the tC. Obviously, these owners have never dealt with real "devil" cars like VWs. The last time I had a flat on my Passat, They couldn't even find the right tire for it in the whole SF bay area, and there I was, stranded with a bum leaky mini spare that no one out there sells or stocks too, including the VW dealerships, 50 miles from home. and every tire dealer and every VW dealership I called quoted me at least a week or more to get a tire for my car IF they do find it. My brother had to wait months for new coils for his 1.8T before he could drive it again. And that was for a car that had been in the market for a few years already.
You all have to accept that the Scion tC is so new and so popular that initial parts shortage is almost a given. The supply would eventually catch up to the demand once Toyota has a better idea of how many cars will end up on the road in the near future.
This talk of trading it in because of a rattle is just sounds so overreacting after coming from VW ownership! JMO!

Chombi
In words yes, it does sound like a little over reacting that rattles are so annoying to people. But in reality driving with this non-stop noise is really aggravating. Its like like that annoying ringing sound in your ear, except its a rattle, and its there everytime youre behind the wheel. Im sure you will think differently when it happens to your car. Sometimes its the little things that can ____ a person off more than major malfunctions.

I was so happy when I first got the tC, but after owning it for 8 months, I must admit, the thing is a rattle trap.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member

I know man, tC sucks, shoulda gotten a honda civic.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My struts are back ordered also. But my hatch rattle is not that bad as I usually have the radio going about 95% of the time. I fixed the roof rattle with wet lithium spray about five months ago. Still okay.

I still love the tC. Of course, if I had the money I would have gotten a SLK or Z5.

Kevin
Old 08-09-2005, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member

good for you

Quick Reply: Rear Hatch Strut