Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Replacement key needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 05:41 PM

Default Replacement key needed

I have been a tC owner since April 2005. I still have my 2005 tC, though it is showing signs of age. Most importantly are the original key remotes. My original key button covers wore out, exposing the plastic pieces until they fell out. I then began using the second remote until I wore out the buttons on it also. Now I have two sets of keys with divets in them, but they work just the same. I decided to bite the bullet and get replacement keys. I contacted the local Scion dealer in Charleston, SC by email, explaining the whole issue. They quoted me a price $253 plus $50 to program the key. I am presuming that is for one key. I explained to them that the key works fine, other than looking ugly, and that I don't understand why it should cost so much. I never got a reply. I have since then, taken apart one of my keys and removed the transponder/immobilizer chip and the electronic remote. I have also ordered a blank key shell that is the original design of the Scion key. I will install the remote innards and immobilizer chip, and see if it will work. Then all I need to do is have it cut. Has anyone else had to get their key replaced, and if so, how much did it cost?
Old 03-25-2013, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did the same thing you did. Bought a blank key from Ebay for $8, got it cut at a locksmith for $5, and swapped over the chip and remote internals.

I bought a black key with a Toyota logo on it and separate plastic button covers. I have an 06 which has one large rubber mat covering the keys. I always hated the grey plastic on Scion keys. So this was an upgrade for me LOL
Old 03-25-2013, 09:11 AM

I'm glad I am not alone on this. Why would someone capable of taking on a fairly easy task like this, spend that amount of money on a new key from the dealerships? It's beyond me.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by HKSpeed
I did the same thing you did. Bought a blank key from Ebay for $8, got it cut at a locksmith for $5, and swapped over the chip and remote internals.

I bought a black key with a Toyota logo on it and separate plastic button covers. I have an 06 which has one large rubber mat covering the keys. I always hated the grey plastic on Scion keys. So this was an upgrade for me LOL
I did this also.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-26-2013, 09:09 PM

I have been doing some research work, waiting for my key blanks to come in. I contacted each dealership around here and they all gave me a $ figure of around $275 or more. I then went to the local Lowes to see if they could cut the key when it arrives. They could not because they have the cutting system that uses only keys that they sell. I then emailed the local Ace Hardware about the key cutting. They never replied, so I went to ask them face to face. They said that they WOULD NOT cut the key, even though they had the ability to do so. They stated that the "damn Internet" was taking away their business and if I wanted them to cut it, they would charge me $90. I kind of understand where they are coming from, but truth be told, I would never have thought to take my car key to them in the first place. Oh well, I have to keep shopping around.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

go to a locksmith instead of a hardware store. most hardware store people just stick the key in a machine that does all the work, but those machines aren't always compatible with remote combo keys (like the tC).

My local Ace Hardware wouldn't cut my key because they messed up cutting a previous customer's OEM key blank. So the store paid $300 to replace that customer's key and instituted a new policy banning OEM key cutting.

The locksmith I went to said he would only cut my key if I didn't hold him financially responsible if the key didn't work. The key was only $8, so I said okay.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:19 PM

Thanks for the information. There are a couple of locksmiths around here that I will try contacting. I may just wait until the blanks come in. I appreciate the info.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:30 AM
SL Member

Definitely go to a locksmith. I work at a dealership and when I was looking to get an extra key I got a price for 180 for a new key with my discount. since I can program them myself using Toyota's scantool I save on labor charges.

however I got a price from a locksmith. he quoted me 60 bucks for a brand new key with the scion logo cut and programmed.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Buy a blank on ebay, find a place that can cut it, and if it matches and still doesn't work then get sandpaper and file down both flat sides some. I bought Toyota key blanks on ebay and it looked the same but they were a little thicker on sides. Or take the blank to dealer have them cut with your vin number, only catch is they charge 12-25 to cut one key, its ridiculous.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-04-2013, 08:14 PM

Got my key blanks in the mail a couple of days ago. Have been shopping around for a locksmith. Seems that these locksmiths now want in on the "retail pricing" of these keys. Either they will not cut it because I did not purchase it from them, or will charge me a small fortune to do so. When I mention that it is already programmed and the chip is in place, they refuse to do it. Just because I wanted to save a buck, they feel that they should get their cut (no pun intended). Hopefully I can find one that will do it reasonably.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

how did u manage to take the transponder out? i have the same issue and what i did was that i bought 2 kinds of keys from ebay. 1 was a blank key with a programmable transponder. I got it programmed at the dealership for less than 100 i believe. The other key was a blank key with a blank shell where u put the button thingy and the transponder. Im afraid to take the transponder out of the old one. Anyways, have u tried home depot to get it cut? I think walmart has em too or any hardware store.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:51 PM

I just dug it out and broke around the plastic casing with a small jeweler's screwdriver and some needle nose plyers. Being that it was one of two keys that I had, I decided that if this didn't work I would try something else. I believe they use epoxy when it is assembled. I then used an exacto blade to trim off the epoxy. If I can finally find someone to cut the key, I will try to take some pictures and do a step-by-step process on the second key. I will try Home Depot and Walmart next. Thanks!
Old 04-09-2013, 04:38 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

did u get the key cut yet?