Scion FOG replacement to get the best visible distance

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Scion FOG replacement to get the best visible distance

hola guys,

my Scion FOG's although they look cool, and I can turn them on without the headlights have very poooooooooooooooooooooor illumination. I turn them on in the morning and don't see any advantage to them other then . . . burp . . . the car has Fogs.

anyway, I don wan to blind oncoming traffic but I would like to see the road better and to miss the craters here in Michigan that are all over the place. Seems these Fogs only illuminate 1 foot in front of the car. lol

Any suggestions on a replacement Fog light? I've read some negative press on HID Fogs as they blind oncoming drivers. Also jC Whitney and Co. has some stock tooo.

I thought I'd check with you all first before doing anything.

any ideas out there . . .
Old 03-20-2008, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe they dont illuminate the road well by themselves because they are made to illuminate the road when its foggy, hence the term fog lights...
Old 03-20-2008, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try switching the bulbs. Yellow is great for fog, but if you really want to see, why not just turn on your lights?
Old 03-20-2008, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

umm....I would say yellow in the fog lights (to see through fog) but HIDs in the headlights for better illumination on the road.....I don't see the point in turning on the fog lights to see better without turning on the headlights....
Old 03-20-2008, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What everyone said. Fog lights are ment for the fog. Get HIDs for your headlights. I swear, when i drive a car with halogens now, I can't see shhh. One time i was driving my moms car. I asked her how to turn on the headlights. She was like "... what are you talking about they ARE on"
Old 03-21-2008, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no I'm drivin with the headlamps on, and I be comparing this lighting set up with my once owned BMW 5series and now owned Lexus IS.

With the Lexus when your lamps are on you see good. Then when you turn on the FOG's you see even better. It seems with both BMW and Lexus they've designed FOG's . . . again . . . to illuminate the dark matter that's within your sight of vision as your eyes focus on visible pavement when your behind the wheel . . and thus illuminates that area to which your Headlights hit the pavement. hmmm

Right now the on the Scion the FOG's don't do diddly and the dark matter hides event horizon chuck holes which my car seems to be drawn too them as if were in a strong gravitational pull. lol

I know I could get HID fogs, and ignore the oncoming traffic, since every chevy truck out ther and Ford truck and Chrysler truck out there have their lights pointing in all different direcations and well . . . blap to them.

I think HID's are my answer.

hmmm, any comments> lol
Old 03-21-2008, 02:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fog lamps
Front fog lamps provide a wide, bar-shaped beam of light with a sharp cutoff at the top, and are generally aimed and mounted low. They may be either white or selective yellow. They are intended for use at low speed to increase the illumination directed towards the road surface and verges in conditions of poor visibility due to rain, fog, dust or snow. As such, they are often most effectively used in place of dipped-beam headlamps, reducing the glareback from fog or falling snow, although the legality varies by jurisdiction of using front fog lamps without low beam headlamps.

Use of the front fog lamps when visibility is not seriously reduced is often prohibited (for example in the United Kingdom), as they can cause increased glare to other drivers, particularly in wet pavement conditions, as well as harming the driver's own vision due to excessive foreground illumination.

The respective purposes of front fog lamps and driving lamps are often confused, due in part to the misconcepion that fog lamps are necessarily selective yellow, while any auxiliary lamp that makes white light is a driving lamp. Automakers and aftermarket parts and accessories suppliers frequently refer interchangeably to "fog lamps" and "driving lamps" (or "fog/driving lamps"). In most countries, weather conditions rarely necessitate the use of fog lamps, and there is no legal requirement for them, so their primary purpose is frequently cosmetic. They are often available as optional extras or only on higher trim levels of many cars. Studies have shown that in North America more people inappropriately use their fog lamps in dry weather than use them properly in poor weather.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I actually use them properly, gotta love san francisco, its like being in london its so foggy
Old 03-22-2008, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

i have teh VRD fogs and hids in them, lets just say my fogs are brighter then the low beams in my gfs car
Old 03-23-2008, 12:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

davedavetC,

cool great. VRD fogs and HID's. any pics?

where did ya get them?
Old 03-23-2008, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

i have pics but im not on my computer (parents computer) and its really slow. ill post pics when i get back home (probably tomorrow night or tuesday)

i got the fogs from VRD directly

and the HIDs from a good friend of mine www.3bspec.com

or pm operatic via scionlife.