Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Scion tC or BMW 3 Series?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 04:36 AM
5 Year Member

Default Scion tC or BMW 3 Series?

I am thinking abt getting a new car and my choices are Scion tC or a used (1998-2001) BMW (under 60000 miles). I can't seem to make up my mind. I have been reading the posts on this forum for the past 3 weeks and have heard nothing but good things. on the other hand, i have always been a fan of BMWs. BMW also means a V6 and abt 185hp, leather seats, longer life. They are both the same price so that is not a question. I am worried abt upkeep and legroom. How comofortably can tC feet four people? Avg size that is. I am a small guy, 5' 10". Also how is the mileage in traffic, I live in NorCal so I pay the price for gorgeous weather with mad trafffic. I have a 15 mile one way commute every day.
An honest opinion would be great, although i know it will be a little biased on a scion forum.
Thanks in advance.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had the same decision as you, i def went with the Tc, i dunno if i would say the beamer will have a longer life, but you cant go wrong with a toyota, im 6'3 and i fit very comfortably even in the back seat, i would go with the tc, but ur right u will get alittle more power with the beamer
Old 12-10-2004, 04:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ummmmmm beamer. you can walk around and say "do you have a pimp bmw?"...or atleast that's what i would do.

tc is great, but it's not a bmw.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry but I think the tC will last as long if not longer than the BMW u are looking at. THe BMW has 60k on it which means that the tC has a head start as far as longevity. PLUS, its a toyota man, they are like know for longevity, its a camry engine. I would take the tC, no questions asked.

The biggest reason is that a new tC will be under warranty for the next 6 years. The BMW wont be, and in another 5 years when you get over 100k you can expect something to give on it. ALSO, repairs and upkeep are gonna be more on a BMW than the tC. BMW parts cost more. The added horses can be achieved on the tC.

Also it will your car first, who knows what the last guy did for the first 60k on the BMW. He might have driven the ____ out of it.

The only reson to go with BMW, would be for the name, but Scions (tC especially) is quickly becoming a saught after car. Good luck with your desicion.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it is a 330Ci, then yes
Old 12-10-2004, 07:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by panasoanic
He said 185hp.....that would be the 328 right? well I have some friends that own BMW'S as well as my brother he has owned both the 325 and 330ci (currant) if it is the 328 then all I know is that the major thing that goes worng was the water pump @ 60k. I myself was going to get a 2000 328ci it was the only year it came with the auto stick (99 was an option) with only 40k for $17000. My friend thats a manager at toyota was going to sell it to me for what they got it for(it was a trade-in) But before I could go test drive it. It was gone If I where you I would look at some BMW fourms to see what they say about the year your looking into. BMW'S are nice and I love how quit it is inside. Me I still debate on getting the tC with the S/C when it come's out over a used car that could be better and about the same price (again having a friend that's a manager at toyota is great!!!!)

Oh and I should add that owning a new car is great!!! I have own 2 new car's if you have not owned a new car yet mybe you should
Old 12-10-2004, 08:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

good luck with maintainence on a BMW. . . it's a nightmare, and it costs big $$$$. Honestly I love the cars, but I'd never own one. I'd rather have a Lexus (we've got 5 in the family, not to mention that I previously own one). We also have a 528 (brand spankin new 04) that has been in the shop more times than our 98 Lexus GS400 with 130,000 miles, no joke! We still own the BMW for the tag on the back, and the sweet handling, but if we had to make a choice for one car, BMW would never make the list. . . my brother (who owns it) has missed so many appointments and meetings because of that thing. . .
Old 12-10-2004, 08:43 AM
5 Year Member

id go with the tc as well... im 6'4 and i fit in the car fine!!! i dont have to have the seat all the way back but even if i did there is plenty of room for people to sit behind me!!! which to me that is amazing lol!!! my friends tell me that the TC looks like a lexus front end kinda like is300 (alteza) they say the rear looks like the acura CL i guess they mean the tail lights? and they say the side or the mirror looks like a beemer or benz. straight out of a chop shop hehe so if you choose the TC you cant go wrong.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was a BMW mechanic for 3 years

give me some info on a year and a motor and previous history and whos selling it (BMW dealer or another dealer or private party)

your comparing two w a y different cars. a BMW is not a toyota and nowhere near it.

new car used car out of warranty (if its not certfied BMW from a dealership)

BMWs are expensive to maintain and difficult to maintain.

since i noticed you put a V6 for the BMW i dont think you should get ANY car unless you actually know what your lookin for

BMW's since forever use only Inline engines except for their 8 10 and 12 cyl motors.

get the tc because it almost sounds like the BMW is not for you.

ive seen BMW's with over 200,000 miles on them i think the toyota is the better buy because it will be cheaper in the long run for you and insurance wise maybe too
Old 12-10-2004, 08:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

BMWs are expensive to maintain and are not as reliable as Japanese cars. Check this out:
http://money.cnn.com/2004/11/08/pf/a...o_reliability/

Japanese cars top the entire list for reliability. Lexus, Acura, and Toyota top sedans while Toyota Corolla, Scion xB's, and Honda Civics for small cars. I stuck with the tC cause it's Japanese, a Scion was shown as reliable, and great value for the money. I admit I think BMW bodies are the nicest and I think the tC shows some of that euro look.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

I can't understand how there could ever be any comparison between a nice, brand-new car and one with 60,000 miles on it. I don't care if the one with 60,000 miles on it was God's car; it's still a heavily used car. The tC is a nice car, and it will be your NEW car. I think that is worth something.

Also, BMWs are all over the place; all you need to get a BMW these days is $300-600 a month for some period of time. I admit I have never driven a 3 series, but of the people I know who like BMWs, they say that the 3 series is overrated, overpriced, and not in the same league with "real" BMWs.

And, of course, what the others have said about the cost and frequency of maintenance is true.

Just my thoughts.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not like the origional poster will ever see this information because he will most likely post and never check back, but its almost a toss up. Look at insurance information to make your choice. If your trying to act like you have a lot of money, then by all means buy a BMW. I think the Tc is better just because its new. Everyone knows the body styles of BMW's(they can tell its not new). Except for women that is...and they only look at the BMW symbol. What is the point of this discussion?...I'd rather get an Audi s4.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by panasoanic

oh heck yes.. if i had that much, i'd get a 330ci, no doubt... but I can only afford a tC for now.. still pimpin
Old 12-10-2004, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member

"Not like the origional poster will ever see this information because he will most likely post and never check back"

i have been checking it every 2 hours, thank you so much for your inputs, keep them coming. you guys have been a great help!
Old 12-10-2004, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

if it were me, I would take the tC, even if the BMW was certified used. My main reasoning behind that is the cost of maintainence, 60K less miles and knowing the car hasn't been dogged by a previous owner, and uniqueness.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

here, you posted this on a scion site. what do you think the majority of people are going to say? if you were to post this same topic on a BMW site, what would they say?

go with the tC. its new, more reliable, looks better, its under warranty and plenty of room inside.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member

i chose the tc over a bmw...only cuz i dunt make enough money to handle all the problems that can arise from having a used car and the amount of money needed to fix nething that breaks on a bmw...
the 60k mile gap is a long time u'll save w/ the newer car and it's warranty...
Old 12-10-2004, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the 3 series your looking at wont be any faster with that 180hp, if your going to get a used bmw with a weak engine it should be because of style and comfort.
Also bmw's have very good resale value, so expect to pay more than a tC's sticker price. The new 3 series are coming out soon and you wont just be driving an old car but also a car that looks old.
Its your decision but I can assure you that you will be very happy with a tC. They have great standard features that make the car feel really classy.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My vote is for the tC.
tC reliability > BMW reliability >> used BMW reliability

Dont get me wrong, I love BMWs. I would drive one anyday over the tC. However, I would rather drive the tC everyday over the BMW. The tC is a much better everyday car IMO.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's my take on this:

If you have the money for a used BMW maintenance and insurance, th(e)n go for the beemer. It is a BMW after all, so you know it's gonna be fun driving it around. Like many used cars, you need to have funds in case of repairs.

If you don't have funds in case of problems, it's better to buy a new car or one with high reliability and low miles.

The tC is a nice car but it's no BMW. So check your financial situation and go with the 3 series if you can afford it. If not, the tC is your best buy.

Quick Reply: Scion tC or BMW 3 Series?