2005-2010 [ANT10]

Scion tC Hatch Door Garnish Warranty Claim "Recall"

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Scion tC Hatch Door Garnish Warranty Claim "Recall"

I got a letter in the mail regarding a warranty extension for the hatch door garnish. The letter says that if it's faulty, I can take it to a dealer and they will fix it. It says the procedure takes 30 minutes to take care of. I am wondering if any of you guys have done this and what they do specifically to fix it? My garnish is all types of messed up actually. The plastic is all broken off, it's not as sturdy as it used to be. I've ghetto rigged it to fix it temporarily. Just wondering if they replace it, or fix it, or what do they do?
Old 11-26-2013, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They replace the body-color-painted plastic piece that you can see from behind the car. It is the plastic piece directly underneath the third brake light. I do not know if they have updated the part number or not -- I have yet to see a report of whether the new part is improved or whether they are just replacing them with the same defective part.

The dealership replaced mine under warranty maybe three years ago, just barely before the bumper-to-bumper warranty had expired. It had cracked when I opened the hatch after a really cold sub-freezing night. There has been a TSB out for this issue for a couple of years as well, but that only applied to the warranty period.

Gives me a good feeling as a Scion owner. Some of these cars were up to six years out of warranty.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine is an RS4.0, so it makes it a little complicated to trust the dealership to paint it the limited edition color. Also, it seems like the hatch door button mounts are broken too, so I would assume they will try to fix that too I hope.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They don't paint parts like that. They come painted from Toyota. Things like door handles and garnishes you often have to order by the color of the car. (Also note that the "30 minute fix time" is deceptive since they DO have to order the part.)
Old 11-28-2013, 12:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you read that correctly? I just got a letter about the same part stating that the dealership was willing to sell me an extended warranty covering that part.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

It is a 'warranty enhancement', which extends your warranty as it applies to the garnish to "7 years from the date of first use, or one year from the announcement of this program, whichever is longer".
No cost, they are not trying to sell you anything.

However, in the FAQs on the back, it says the program was announced March 13, 2013 (and they are just sending out letters 8 months later at the end of November???).
So one year from the date of the announcement is March 13, 2014, less than 4 months from now.
The '7 years from first use' is crap for anyone with a 2005 or 2006 tC, as 7 years from first use has already passed. I bought mine Dec 2004, so my 7 year 'extension', just announced in 2013, expired in Dec 2011. Awesome.

So if you have an 05 or 06, you're only covered for another 4 months, until March 13th - break it quick!
Old 11-29-2013, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ahchah08
Mine is an RS4.0, so it makes it a little complicated to trust the dealership to paint it the limited edition color. Also, it seems like the hatch door button mounts are broken too, so I would assume they will try to fix that too I hope.
they come painted from the factory dealerships just install them
Old 11-30-2013, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Lil_Deuce_tCoupe
It is a 'warranty enhancement', which extends your warranty as it applies to the garnish to "7 years from the date of first use, or one year from the announcement of this program, whichever is longer".
No cost, they are not trying to sell you anything.

However, in the FAQs on the back, it says the program was announced March 13, 2013 (and they are just sending out letters 8 months later at the end of November???).
So one year from the date of the announcement is March 13, 2014, less than 4 months from now.
The '7 years from first use' is crap for anyone with a 2005 or 2006 tC, as 7 years from first use has already passed. I bought mine Dec 2004, so my 7 year 'extension', just announced in 2013, expired in Dec 2011. Awesome.

So if you have an 05 or 06, you're only covered for another 4 months, until March 13th - break it quick!
Woot mines been broken for a while now
Old 11-30-2013, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes they do have to be ordered and they come from Toyota already painted. I've replaced a lot of them at my dealer so far, but I would still recommend to lift the trunk at the very bottom when opening it and not by pulling up on the actual garnish piece, plastic can only handle but so much pressure. This is a warranty extension like a few already said, so you better get yours replaced before its to late!
Old 12-02-2013, 06:42 PM

Ever since I put a lot Liquid Nail around the broken screw hole, it has been pretty strong.
lol
Old 12-02-2013, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What if the stock garnish is modified (shaved + vinyl)? Will they still replace it if I break it?
Old 12-05-2013, 11:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Toyota says the trunk isn't meant to be used everyday.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ahchah08
I got the same letter and I think it came with a sticker to put in my owner’s manual too. I also have a "Special Paint Code (070)" and I'm wondering if they would give me my Pearl White paint or just try to fake it with a Super White and hope I don't notice lol.

I guess I need to get a hold of my dealership and find out. My garnish isn't "Broken" per-say but it does squeak and creak pretty hard when I open the trunk. It sounds like it could break off in my hand every time I use it. I've been trying to be careful but 1 of these days someone is going to be opening my trunk for me and it will break off. Will the dealership still replace my garnish if it hasn't broken off the car yet?
If not, I would walk out to the parking lot and break it off myself right there, then drive it back in like "Wouldn't you know it! It broke off even though you said it was fine. Can I get the new one now?" lol

I'll update the thread when I get some answers from the dealership.

Originally Posted by TTCCC
Toyota says the trunk isn't meant to be used everyday.
And that is hilarious. Why would someone make that assumption? lol

Last edited by BLIZZWHTPRL1071; 12-05-2013 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Fixed Spelling Errors. Don't you hate it when that happens! lol
Old 12-05-2013, 02:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BLIZZWHTPRL1071
I guess I need to get a hold of my dealership and find out. My garnish isn't "Broken" per-say but it does squeak and creak pretty hard when I open the trunk. It sounds like it could break off in my hand every time I use it. I've been trying to be careful but 1 of these days someone is going to be opening my trunk for me and it will break off. Will the dealership still replace my garnish if it hasn't broken off the car yet?
If not, I would walk out to the parking lot and break it off myself right there, then drive it back in like "Wouldn't you know it! It broke off even though you said it was fine. Can I get the new one now?" lol
Mine was in the same condition that yours is in and the dealership replaced it without complaint.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is the warranty transferable? I bought my car used and the hatch piece is all jacked up, so if I call the dealer should they honor the replacement of it?
Old 01-09-2014, 05:36 AM

I don't have any warranty and I'm sure it's getting to the point where it's going to just rip right off. When I does I can just go to the dealership and they will fix it because it's a recall? Or do I have to pay something Bc I don't have the warranty
Old 01-09-2014, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by metalranger33
Woot mines been broken for a while now
So I can have it fixed I have an 06 it's till march 2014 or 2013
Old 01-09-2014, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I called my dealership yesterday, and the guy i talked to new what i was talking about as soon as i said hatch garnish and its held on by double sided tape. I have an appointment to get mine fixed tomorrow. I also don't have a warranty so I'll guess we'll see if they are going to try and charge me or not.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Doesn't matter if you are out of warranty or not, the garnish is replaceable due to Toyota extending the warranty on it till March '14. However the rubber hatch handle switch part tends to melt over time but that part of the garnish isn't covered under the extension warranty, you would have to buy that part if your is messed up or if you want the switch to be replaced
Old 01-12-2014, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I went and got mine replaced today, if yours is broken go get it done for free. If you have a 2006 or older I think you have till match to get it done. Mine was held on with double sided tape.

Quick Reply: Scion tC Hatch Door Garnish Warranty Claim "Recall"