Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Scion tC or Pontiac G6 coupe??!!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member

Default Scion tC or Pontiac G6 coupe??!!?

Help me guys. I am stuck in between getting a tC or a G6 coupe. The price would be almost the same considering the new $3000 off G6 and my dad's employee discount incentives. The one main thing I like about the G6 coupe is the Shiftronics or whatever its called. The ability to switch into manual transmission on an automatic transmission car. I been thinking this over for a month now, and I'm gettin closer to gettin a G6. I've been loyal to Toyota as I have been driving a Corolla for about 5 years now. So which one would you guys get? I know coming to a Scion forum, most would say a tC... but why if the price is similar to the G6 coupe with more HP and features?

thanks in advance!
Old 08-02-2005, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would say the tC... just based on Toyota/Scion reliability when compared to ANYTHING GM.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

eh, I know how you feel, but you did do the same post on a G6 forum, right? I mean it'll even out the results i think

I'm not sure, though, with the tC becoming the new civic and all*puts flamesuit on* and the G6 is a pretty cool car. I just dunno.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member

yeah if your gonna keep it for more than two years, i would go import as well.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I was sorely dissapointed in the G6. They talked it up like it was going to be the next best sporty coupe out there. It looks like a new version of the grand am. I see it as the next great rental car next to the impala and the malibu.

As much as I have been supportive of the american market, GM is in a harsh predicament, and thier quality is suffering worse each year. Sad to see, but true.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member

i didnt post this on a G6 forum yet. cuz thats what I think im gonna get. I think.. lol
damn this is a hard decision.

the thing I like about scion is that its still a rarity. especially here in Michigan.

and the reliability issue: yea, thats why I LOVE toyota and honda. but I'm 20 right now and i think in 4-6 years I'll be gettin a new car anyways after I get a permanent job. so I dunno if thats really something I should worry about as much.

if ONLY the scion has the shiftronics. then I'd be ALL IN
Old 08-02-2005, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

realize that it isn't an SMG either (the manumatic int he G6). All those fancy words just mean that instead of moving the stick from D to 3 or 2 or L, you use a button or move a lever. In fact, the tranny is exactly the same as any other automatic tranny. Some people feel it ups the fun factor. . . that's all. But if it were a hydraulically controlled manual transmission (SMG), that would be a different story.

Some people love Grand Ams. . . some hate them. My best friend drove the bejesus out of one. . . lost a timing belt at 30,000 miles. . . the power steering went at 40k, lost the tranny 3 times. . . caught fire once. Lemon or not, I was there for most of this, and it makes me very reluctant to buy anything GM. If I had to go domestic, I'd probably go Ford or Chrysler/Dodge
Old 08-02-2005, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ChILLaXTodAMaX
and the reliability issue: yea, thats why I LOVE toyota and honda. but I'm 20 right now and i think in 4-6 years I'll be gettin a new car anyways after I get a permanent job. so I dunno if thats really something I should worry about as much.
I suspect that in 4-6 yrs, the tC will hold it's value MUCH better than the G6, but I don't know for sure. Right now the tC's seem to be increasing in value as soon as they leave the lot. I don't know about the G6.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There's a reason why GM, Ford and the other American makes are offering huge incentives to buy their cars: they're garbage compared to Asian makes now. Excluding the new Mustang and the Chrysler 300 series, America hasn't put together anything worth a second look in decades (the "new Thunderbird comes to mind, ugh.) Toyota and Nissan will be sweeping the floor with GM leftovers in 5 years.

The G6 is just a re-packaged Grand Am. Destined for oblivion, in spite of the now-forgotten Oprah launch.

The Solstice and Sky are the only newcomers that anyone's talking about stateside. Those may be competition for the Honda S2000 and Miata, but not tC. Different demographic altogether. But the Solstice and Sky do look cool. If I had the cash tho, I'd buy a Mustang.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^^ Oh I have never been totally against Grand Am myself. My GF had one, and other than being boring it was a pretty good car until it ended up under the back of a Ford Ranger Only issue was the intake gasket leaking, which a lot of GM V6s are plagued with. But after I replaced it the car wasnt so bad. And I would still personally pick GM over the other american cars. My Saturn is at 170k. I have replaced the alternator and am getting ready to replace the ignition module. Other than that it has been routine maintenance. That one as well as 4 others I know have been extremely reliable. Fords are probably next on my list (way down). And Chrysler has not been able to keep a tranny or rear end togehter in the last 30 years, so I am not impressed with them at all. I have seen WAY too many of them blow a tranny under normal conditions within 3 - 4 years of driving.

But, the quality of all of them is dwindling. And my main point about it being grand am like was that they continue to regurgitate the same designs over and over. Just like the CavaCobaltFire
Old 08-02-2005, 07:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone else notice that the tail lights are the exact same as ours.....scumbags

Old 08-02-2005, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i read somewhere that toyota designed and build the G6 for pontiac. i can't remember where i read it tho...it was a while ago.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member

from the cars that my friends have driven, it seems like GM is more stable and reliable than the other american cars... although as the years progress, the quality becomes worse and worse.

now you guys are making me wanna get a tC. quick, someone kidnap me and take me to a Scion dealer before I change my mind again
Old 08-02-2005, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by maximus96
i read somewhere that toyota designed and build the G6 for pontiac. i can't remember where i read it tho...it was a while ago.
you know... that could be VERY true. the G6 coupe looks almost identical to the Camry Solara's tail.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by slammed
Anyone else notice that the tail lights are the exact same as ours.....scumbags

actually, i would call toyota the scumbags here, if you havent noticed, the tC resembles something from like 30 different cars. Oh, and I heard somewhere that pictures of the G6 have been out since around 2002. Just food for thought.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member

whats the difference between hydraullic and electric transmission?
Old 08-02-2005, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I say it all depends on how long you keep your car. The G6 will be worth nothing in a few years. But I can see how this is a tough decision though because it does "look" like a nice ride. I normally would have a few negative things to say about the tC, but if you are getting an 06 model, then I'm sure you wont have as many complaints as the 05 tC owners.

I have never owned a pontiac, but based on their reputation and resale, I have to say go with a Toyota.

The only GM cars that I find tempting are the Solcestice and Sky.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by engifineer
I was sorely dissapointed in the G6. They talked it up like it was going to be the next best sporty coupe out there. It looks like a new version of the grand am. I see it as the next great rental car next to the impala and the malibu.

As much as I have been supportive of the american market, GM is in a harsh predicament, and thier quality is suffering worse each year. Sad to see, but true.
That's what the G6 is a new version of the Grand Am!!
Old 08-02-2005, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can't stand Pontiacs. I think they are the most boring cars on the road and every model almost looks the same. Only the new Solstice is cool. Go with the Scion.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Oh and everybody copies from one another if you have noticed!!!

Quick Reply: Scion tC or Pontiac G6 coupe??!!?