Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Scion Tc For Racing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member

Default Scion Tc For Racing?

I am doing a little research and trying to get some feedback about the idea of the Scion Tc and racing.

Do any of you prospective Tc owners car if the it Road races? Also do any of you think that the Tc is a performance car?

I need as much feed back as possible by Thursday.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member

iirc it has a double wishbone suspension and 45 series tires. Definitly a great combination, but I really do not know what to expect until it is released or has some magazine tests done. The only car which I think it "could" be comparable to is the civic si.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

Default tc

Well I plan to have soem fun with mine...as far as how it will stack up against the rest???.....I guess we will have to wait and see....but I believe that this engine does have a lot of upside and I love the base torque...don't think I answered your question...I'm sure we will see some testing in mags soon
Old 02-10-2004, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't see the tC being a race car since it has an all glass roof.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member

would anyone here be interested in seeing a Tc compete professionally?
Old 02-11-2004, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i guess but i still cant get over the fact that with the supercharger the tC will proably be only as good as a stock celica gt-s at best....not too impressive.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just checked on this double wishbone suspension claim.

The rear is double wishbones, the front is a mcpherson strut.

This is basically equivalent to 99% of the cars on the market, since a multilink setup is more or less the same thing as double wishbones in most cases.

By far the fastest road racing car in this price range is the dodge SRT4. Front LSD, low weight, huge power, and huge room to grow into even more power.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
DelMarVa
Scion Tuners

I think that the tc has great potential. I also think that the tc will put something on the gts celica. That celica will not be able to touch the tc off the line. Even though the weight of the tc will hurt it a little bit . But the torgue will help it out alot. Most of the celicas that you see hooked up are gt's not gts because of the motor. We will not know anything for sure until they realease it and some of the aftermarket companies get to play with it. But it will be something to see.

gts celica 180hp @ 7600rpm
130lb.-ft.@6800
curb weight 2500
TC 160hp@ 5700
163lb.-ft.@4000
curb weight 2925
Old 02-11-2004, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

Originally Posted by scion20601
I think that the tc has great potential. I also think that the tc will put something on the gts celica. That celica will not be able to touch the tc off the line. Even though the weight of the tc will hurt it a little bit . But the torgue will help it out alot. Most of the celicas that you see hooked up are gt's not gts because of the motor. We will not know anything for sure until they realease it and some of the aftermarket companies get to play with it. But it will be something to see.

gts celica 180hp @ 7600rpm
130lb.-ft.@6800
curb weight 2500
TC 160hp@ 5700
163lb.-ft.@4000
curb weight 2925
That's my boy...that's why I luv the Tc, look at the RPMS at 5700, and 4000 you are getting all of it...it should be quicker off the line...and we are only talking stock...add some boltons (the S/C, intake, ect...) god forbid you add some nos too, pump up the fuel system the car could be a real ___ kicker...and if you go all out and trim off some weight look out.....this car will be a force against other FWD cars.....watch out
Old 02-11-2004, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member

Default tC racing...

Well, to tell the truth, I'm big into vehicle customizing now... And I've done my research... MY tC will be a racer, hands down.. no matter what I have to do, my dream is to run it at a top of 150 mph.... There will have to be a lot of body work, and weight reduction, plus a BIG overhaul on the engine, but it can be done.....

There's a 350 Z here in town that could use an ___-whoopin'.. and he told me anytime, any car... so, guys... in less than a year.. I'll send you the vids of the win.. LOL

OH, my opinion on seeing the tC as a racer, yeah, that's a GO...
It could be the next best at Summit Racing... just give somebody enough money, and enough greativity (ergo, ME) and you'd be surprised what somebody could do with a car..... Trust me, my friend drive a Geo Storm that is pushing just about 340 hp... makes me sick, but it is fun as hell to ride in.....

Put some power in that tC!!! and I don't mean just a simple little factory supercharger... I'm thinking Stage 3 turbo kit, and about 20 thou in parts, etc....

We'll see.. LOL
Old 02-12-2004, 02:13 AM
5 Year Member

I'm really disapointed in the glas roof. I mean its looks good and as long as ya don't care to much about performace it would be great in fair weather country. While ponder'n on how to get rid of the glass roof I came up with the idea of carbon fiber inserts. They'd be light, strong and with a dark glaze would appear simular to the glass. It would be great for race'n. Any aftermarket producers around? :D
Old 02-12-2004, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if the aftermarket support for the tC performance wise is HUGE then im sure they will come out with something for the glass roof....again, i think it depends on the support/demand of the aftermarket.

BTW, give me a number on how much you think the glass roof weighs?????
50-150 LBS??
Old 02-12-2004, 01:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

I am purchasing a tC from myself in June. My plans for it are all racing mods. This car will be able to handle anything, be easy to drive, and still look good stock. I know you are all worried about the roof, but I don't really think that it has a huge disadvantage to it. The best car to compare with to the tC would be the Lancer RalliArt. Same size motor, same hp and tq ratings, and we sell them too. I have driven the ones we have here, and they haul ___, especially off the line.

So anyone that is looking to get a feel for how a tC will drive, go out to your nearest Mitsu dealer, and ask to test drive a RalliArt. At least you will get a feel for the power that the tC is going to have.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by onemorescion
I am purchasing a tC from myself in June. My plans for it are all racing mods. This car will be able to handle anything, be easy to drive, and still look good stock. I know you are all worried about the roof, but I don't really think that it has a huge disadvantage to it. The best car to compare with to the tC would be the Lancer RalliArt. Same size motor, same hp and tq ratings, and we sell them too. I have driven the ones we have here, and they haul ___, especially off the line.

So anyone that is looking to get a feel for how a tC will drive, go out to your nearest Mitsu dealer, and ask to test drive a RalliArt. At least you will get a feel for the power that the tC is going to have.
A stock camry is no slouch either. With the weight advantage & m/t in the tC I think it will get up just fine stock... Then after several grand in mods, it should scream!! I'll be selling myself one also!!
Old 02-13-2004, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member

I don't really know how much the weight of all the glass on the roof is gunna be RecluseDX. I'm guessing that a typical windshield weights around 50 lbs. I figure the glass on top will be about 2 windshields or so. *shrug* Your guess of 100-150 lbs sounds about right to me.

I'm sure the roof won't cause all that much probs performance wise either Escion. It just irks me cause I don't need nor want it. Just a personal preference.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:03 AM
5 Year Member

Default glass roof

Exactly...
I don't think that the glass roof will be all that problematic performance-wise..
At least, for those that are just regular drivers...

YET, I am in the process of researching a way to make a carbon-fiber replacement, because I want as little weight as possible, and that can save me some... I intend on customizing my tC for some racing, but as for the casual drivers, I don't think the glass roof will matter.. maybe Scion is just experimenting, and in a few years will come out with a version without the glass top, who knows?
Old 02-13-2004, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default not me

plus you gotta compare whatever data is available for the supercharged tC... but I wouldn't go racing any 350 Z's those lil bastards fly...
Old 02-13-2004, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member

Default ....

Well I mean just standard mechanics will tell you that the tC has alot more potential than the Celica GT-S or the Civic Si. With a 2.4 Litre motor, you have a buttload of room to work with. Once performance companies get up and running and you can do major modifications to the motor, I see no reason why you can't squeeze 400+hp out of that damn thing. When that happens, you'll finally see Scion get the respect they setout to get with the xB and xA. I mean here on the east, it's all about speed, how many horses, how big the motor is and so on, no one in the East really cares what kind of paint job you have or the body kit you used. With the motor being as big as it is the tC will be a frickin POWERHOUSE!
Old 02-13-2004, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member

Default 2.4 L powerhouse? LOL

okay..... I drive a 2000 Alero right now, and it has a 2.4L "powerhouse"... the thing can move, i give you that, but the tC does weigh more...

yet, as you said, with that extra room that the 2.4 has, you can put some things into it, you can't a 2.0 L.... who knows, maybe the standard engine will be good to add to, but when i have the money, right now I plan on a new engine, with all performance build-up... i don't want just a bolt-on horsepower... i want the actual engine power...

because like you said, nobody cares what it looks like most of the time.. i mean if you are cruisin', yeah, looks are good.. but when you are racing, nobody cares... they just wanna see under the hood...
Old 02-13-2004, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member

of course no one who is into engines wants just bolt ons. I'm saying once the cars been out and performance companies see the response, you'll start to see, pistons, cams, and all sorts of internal modifications and things like that. This car has a TON of potential to be a MONSTER on the street, not to mention having the quality looks of a BMW of Audi.

Quick Reply: Scion Tc For Racing?