Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

scion TC+supercharger prices

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My buddy bought two TRD superchargers for the 4.7 liter V8 for something like $2,000 a piece. $2,900 is a lot for a supercharger when it's put on a $16,000 car. But that's just me. I was under the impression the idea was Scion = cheap.

Oh, and don't forget the TRD clutch to go with your new power. That's probably $800+. And an LSD if you want to use that power in turns (I'd guess $1,000+). Now your "$16,000" car is firmly in the 20's, and it's no longer competeing with econo-boxes, it's playing with some heavy hitters. 200 horspower isn't going to impress for that amount of money.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by iZero
Originally Posted by tony814
tax was like 1700$ ... supercharger before install was 2899$
58% tax! Let me know where you live so I never move there.
i think he was talking about the whole car plus s/c installed.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what's weird is that they have no part number for the s/c even when the tC is released. i'm wondering how can they add that to the paperwork especially if you have to wait 3 to 4 months to get the install. i would think it would be possible if you buy the car out right as opposed to financing or leasing.

just make sure you have it documented that you bought the TRD S/C when it comes time to get the car.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by djimpak
i think he was talking about the whole car plus s/c installed.
Around here (Washington State) the S/C would cost you $270 in taxes. Looks like I may have to pay a vist to my bro in Portland, OR if I'm going this route.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My dealer installs NOS kits for about a grand... much more affordable than 3K for 55 HP...

I won't hate all you fellas out there that are getting it though.. go for it.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:01 AM
5 Year Member

1700$ tax on the total of the car.. the car was about $16.5 + 2899 + plates etc
Old 06-09-2004, 03:41 AM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

yayy for oregon and no sales tax. boo to the fact that the state can't afford to fix the roads that i cruise on.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:09 AM
erc
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was under the impression the idea was Scion = cheap.
You're right.

Scion = cheap
but
TRD = not cheap
so in review:
TRD != Scion

Originally Posted by bofa
My dealer installs NOS kits for about a grand... much more affordable than 3K for 55 HP...

I won't hate all you fellas out there that are getting it though.. go for it.
Bah, that's cheating Anyhow.. Nitrous (not "nawz") is only good for drag racing. Some of us want fast-ish cars all the time, for highway and around town driving.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok as a dealer i know that the price hasn't been released as far as i know (and i'm pretty sure i know), BUT that price sounds about right. i wouldn't plan on getting that on until late this year though. all our sources @ TRD say late fall/winter.

just make sure when you pick up the car you get a "we owe".

and btw pure pricing is not all the dealers having the same prices. i can choose to sell it for whatever i want as long as it's on the website as such. i'm sure a couple dealer's have gotten into price wars on the accessories already. $3299 somewhere could be $2999 somewhere else.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:09 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just to second that info, there are no firm specs or pricing out yet on the supercharger. We've been told Nov., but that's not set in stone. You won't know if that's a good price until the MSRP comes out.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member

Since when is 3K for a forced induction system + install + warranty anything but reasonable? Its certainly not cheap, but its not something to complaing about. I see a $3000 factory S/C as a great opportunity to get lots of power on the cheap. An exhaust can cost 500 and only net 5-10 hp. Cold air intakes can cost 50 and only make a few horsies. Stop ripping on Scion for offering this stuff. Keep in mind, they are selling the tc with a 163hp motor for less than a lot of 130hp cars.

I agree that $3000 is a chunk of change, but is a steal when compared with good, reliable aftermarket setups (I'm not talk sketchy ebay sales or anything).

-Jeff
Old 06-15-2004, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

personally im not much fan of the supercharger. yes it provides linear power. but i perfer a turbo setup. so i can stay out of boost and in vac. (use less gas ) and the TRD S/C has no aftercooler/intercooler?? i didnt see it in the pix that was posted. if it doesnt come with a aftercooler, it would explain the HP numbers. the price of the S/C isn't all that bad. considering it is warrantied. if the motor blows, its covered. if TRD comes out with a T3/T4 turbo setup.. sign me up

1000 bucks will not bring your B16a1 or B16a2 motor into 200hp range. B16a1= compression roughly 10.2:1 and B16a2 10.4:1 if i remember correctly. yes, the B16 can generate 200HP, but not for 1000 bucks it can't, unless you get all the parts cheap and install it yourself. just. my .02 dont mean put you down or anything. just trying to set things straight :D
Old 06-16-2004, 04:26 AM
5 Year Member

does anyone know the torque gain from the supercharger ? :?:
Old 06-16-2004, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would really like to see dyno charts if they have them available. if anyone get them anytime soon. it would be much appreciated
Old 06-16-2004, 05:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

not officially out yet I don't believe. probably gonna be in the 30s/40s at the wheel tho i would assume
Old 06-16-2004, 07:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it would be nice if the torque was matched with the hp.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:24 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by jlaznlover
personally im not much fan of the supercharger. yes it provides linear power. but i perfer a turbo setup. so i can stay out of boost and in vac. (use less gas ) and the TRD S/C has no aftercooler/intercooler?? i didnt see it in the pix that was posted. if it doesnt come with a aftercooler, it would explain the HP numbers. the price of the S/C isn't all that bad. considering it is warrantied. if the motor blows, its covered. if TRD comes out with a T3/T4 turbo setup.. sign me up
One thing to remember. Merely having a supercharger or turbo does not lower your gas mileage, it's the change in driving habits that causes this. If you use the same amount of throttle and shift at the same rpm as before, you will not see a change in gas mileage. Not to mention that in a lot of towing applications with trucks, superchargers will often incrase gas mileage by a small amount.

As for the aftercooler, most aftermarket supercharger kits that offer any kind of aftercooler often charge an additional $1500 - $1700 for that option.

Not trying to knock on you or anything, I just don't want people to start developing a negative image of the supercharger option, especially considering none of the vehicles that compete with the TC offer this kind of dealer installed warranty supported power gain.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jdgti
One thing to remember. Merely having a supercharger or turbo does not lower your gas mileage, it's the change in driving habits that causes this. If you use the same amount of throttle and shift at the same rpm as before, you will not see a change in gas mileage. Not to mention that in a lot of towing applications with trucks, superchargers will often incrase gas mileage by a small amount.

As for the aftercooler, most aftermarket supercharger kits that offer any kind of aftercooler often charge an additional $1500 - $1700 for that option.

Not trying to knock on you or anything, I just don't want people to start developing a negative image of the supercharger option, especially considering none of the vehicles that compete with the TC offer this kind of dealer installed warranty supported power gain.
i would have to disagree on what you have to say about the MPG. i do feel that the supercharger does use more gas. because it is belt driven, it provides boost all the time. which means it will have to provide more fuel as well... do you agree or disagree? as for the turbo, you MIGHT have the same MPG as before, depending if you stay out of boost or not. if you are running T25 turbo(which spools up pretty quickly) it should provide boost all most instantly on this 2.4L motor. but as for a hybrid T3/T4 we probably start seeing boost until like 2800 rpm. so if you shift right before boost kicks in. you MPG should say primarily the same. I agree with you when you say, S/C or T/C will not increase MPG, its just common sense. because you are creating more power, you are also going to need more fuel, which means less MPG. but not if you are staying out of boost on a "LARGE" turbo setup. :D
Old 06-16-2004, 01:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would have to disagree on what you have to say about the MPG. i do feel that the supercharger does use more gas. because it is belt driven, it provides boost all the time. which means it will have to provide more fuel as well... do you agree or disagree? as for the turbo, you MIGHT have the same MPG as before, depending if you stay out of boost or not. if you are running T25 turbo(which spools up pretty quickly) it should provide boost all most instantly on this 2.4L motor. but as for a hybrid T3/T4 we probably start seeing boost until like 2800 rpm. so if you shift right before boost kicks in. you MPG should say primarily the same. I agree with you when you say, S/C or T/C will not increase MPG, its just common sense. because you are creating more power, you are also going to need more fuel, which means less MPG. but not if you are staying out of boost on a "LARGE" turbo setup. :D
It should still use about the same amount of gas to create the same amount of power, If you use more power then you will use more gas. I dont think you will lose much, if any, engine efficancy with a S/C. And efficancy is where you get MPG.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member

personally im not much fan of the supercharger. yes it provides linear power. but i perfer a turbo setup. so i can stay out of boost and in vac. (use less gas
The torque off the line with a supercharger just can't be under-appreciated. Turbos are fine, but I would rather get in front of the guy and use my driving skills to keep him there. As a plus you don't get any turbolag with supercharges. I won't even get into which is easier to install. To make the arguement fair if you plan on "tweaking" the turbocharger to control boost, that would be a significant advantage. Supercharges can't do that (not easily anyway), but I am guessing that 99.9999% of the people that buy this car will never install a boost control system.

Gas to performance output supercharges often use less gas. Nail the throttle and they will consume more, but you are outputing significantly more power. Turbos are (as far as I know) always more effecient because they don't drain power to make power.

TRD S/C has no aftercooler/intercooler??
As a general rule supercharges do not need cooler technology. Unlike the significantly hotter turbocharger, supercharges remain relatively cool. It isn't until you start cranking up the PSI that you may need to start worrying about cooling. I would guess the TRD supercharger is not that juiced up.

Quick Reply: scion TC+supercharger prices