Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Scion tC vs. Mazda 3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member

Default Scion tC vs. Mazda 3?

Hey guys,

Great stuff on the forums, but I'm looking for a little advice. My nine-year-old Mitsu Mirage (yes, snicker away, but it still ran just fine) was totalled by a red-light runner on Tuesday. So I'm back in the market for a vehicle.

I'm down to two finalists: the Mazda3 s (4dr) or the Scion tC.

The Mazda's reviews have been ecstatic -- Best Small Car this, Car of the Year that. But the Scion is a bit cheaper, has gotten good reviews too, and has that great glass roof. (I don't like spending much money on a car, but damn it, I want a moonroof. And I hate that Mazda makes me buy a 6CD changer if I want on on a 3.)

My needs are relatively simple. A car for a brief freeway commute, jumping around town, and occasional road trips of 6-10 hours.

Anyway, I've driven both and enjoyed both. I can't decide which one to pull the trigger on. So...anyone want to make an argument for the Scion? (Or against the Scion, for that matter?) Would appreciate anything that helps me with this decision -- would like to buy in the next few days before the rental car bills climb too high. Thanks!

Josh
Old 04-10-2005, 10:06 PM
Banned
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

crash test rating on the mazda 3 sucks. tC totally owns it no doubt
Old 04-10-2005, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check out the side impact test results...

http://www.nhtsa.gov/NCAP/Cars/3358.html

versus

http://www.nhtsa.gov/NCAP/Cars/3176.html

Scion is safer, and is better
Old 04-10-2005, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do a search. There has been a thousand posts already on the tC vs. Mazda 3. For me the tC was nicer, more unique, much nicer stock stereo, and cheaper. But the Mazda 3 is a very nice car. If you decide on the Mazda 3, get the Winning Blue. Excellent color.

Kevin
Old 04-11-2005, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can we end the versus? I mean really, this is getting to be ridiculous and isn't this like Mazda 3 vs Scion for the 100th time? I believe Scion is winning 100-0.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Necromancer
Can we end the versus? I mean really, this is getting to be ridiculous and isn't this like Mazda 3 vs Scion for the 100th time? I believe Scion is winning 100-0.
Do you know what you are talking about?

Anyways your on a scion site of course were going to say get the Tc
Old 04-11-2005, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^ blah blah blah, the guy asked a legitimate question. I would go with the scion, b/c it is a toyota. When I was looking for a car I never looked at mazda b/c ford has a big share of mazda, and their products are kinda cross over from one another. This might not mean much to you, but going on personal experience, and the experience of other people fords are that reliable.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the reliability of toyota makes the car worth more already than the mazda3, even though the 3 costs more.
yes, the 3 has 4 doors, but ive been in both and the back seat in the tC feels bigger, and the back seats recline. It has a camry engine which means itll run longer than your mirage, i dont think we can say that about anything mazda hs ever put out. The standard features in the tC outweigh the ones in the mazda. the tC stands out more. i could go on.... the tC is just a better buy IMO.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

PM me, my friend, and we can have all the tC vs. 3 talk b/c i was in the exact same situation before. As a matter of fact, TWICE to be precise. I bought the tC during the first tC vs. 3 contest b/c the ppl at Mazda dealer place screwed it up with their not so friendly attitude and they tried to checked my mother's credit behind our backs before we even talk about the price and they kept avoiding that subject. We found that out and and left the place right away. After several months, I've decided to get a MANUAL transmisison tC, but since I have a chance to get a new car, why not try a DIFFERENT one right? That's when I try to get the 3 at a different dealer place this time. They were SUPER FRIENDLY and gave me extra 50,000 miles warranty (100,000 miles TOTAL!!) Everything sounds right but after many comparisons and talk with ppl. the tC somehow found a way to win this contest again. Of course, it also depends on what kind of car you're looking for. 3 is a family sedan and slower than tC. tC is faster and more suitable for mods plus it looks better in my opinion (I still get A LOT of attention from other drivers! Whether it's parked or stopped at light) Finally, 3 is cheaper BUT do you know that the stock 3i doesnt even have power windows and A/C?? OF COURSE it's cheap if you take out everything! If you try to get every options/accessories that the stock tC comes with, it would be much higher than tC, while tC is only a bit more expensive than the 3 and it has MUCH MUCH more options with standard ABS, tires monitoring system, A/C, panorama moonroof and MUCH MUCH MORE. In the end of course, it is up to you of what you want.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and o yea, DON'T! and I mean DON'T get discourage by the tC b/c it has a two door. B/c I've test drove both and I found out that even tho 3 is a sedan, surprisingly it has LESS SPACE than the tC's backseat! just b/c tC has two doors doesnt mean it has less space! If you want, i'll show u the pics!
Old 04-11-2005, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Originally Posted by Monarch

Have you seen a mazda 3 in person or driven it
Old 04-11-2005, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Since I don't own either, I can provide a less biased opinion. In my opinion, with the Mazda you get: looks (subjective), handling, style. With the tC you get: value, reliability (Camry engine and tranny, both are some of the best), looks (subjective), good torque for the everyday commute.

The negatives: Mazda - mediocre resale value, questionable reliability (mixed results seen); tC - bulky for its size, mediocre gas mileage for a coupe, selling VERY well so might become a lot less unique in the future.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think both cars are well fit in your requirements. So pick the one you like (look, speed, handles, etc.)

If the insurance paid you more, I'd think you should consider to get a bigger car like Mazda 6 or something. For commute, it's very good.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i raced a mazda3 and i beat it...would u want a slower car??? think about that
Old 04-11-2005, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

he said speed isn't a factor, if he wanted a fast car, he'd go and buy an srt-4 or something...
Old 04-11-2005, 03:30 AM
5 Year Member

spec wise tc wins (a lot more crap for a lot less money). Unless you are an enthusiast you won't really notice a huge difference in the ride quality. Finally I think you need to decide on what you think looks better and fits you, for examply the miata used to be top rated by every car magazine, I hated the miata with a burning passion (it hurt my eyes, sorta the way saturns and aztecs do).

I ordered a TC because I thought it was more bang for the buck and looked a hell of a lot better (besides sunroofs kick ___).

//I was not in on the other 100 mazda3 vs TC discussions, so i am free to contribute
Old 04-11-2005, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

one of the things i hate about my mom's mazda 3 is that the breaks squeal like hell. She has only had it since January and it sounds like the pads are wearing out. We are taking it to get looked at soon....
Old 04-12-2005, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Monarch
Originally Posted by Necromancer

No, serious...can we end this? Every 2 days there is a new one. Do a search. I have posted responses a few times about the issue, so I have seen that the prior threads have been pretty thorough.

Some of us do know what we're talking about. I've previously posted that I OWN both and would take the tC over the Mazda anyday..... Not just because I'm on the Scion site.....
Old 04-12-2005, 02:17 AM
Banned
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

mazda 3 isnt as bad as yu guys all think. if oyu were going to fix up a 3 or a tC, 3's problems can be fixed really easily. iono, i believe 3's platform are better than tC. mazda's technology is pretty crazy IMO, considering the rx7 and rx8's potential. the only thing toyota had out was the supra and then it stopped.

iono guys, dont doubt the 3, the 3's pretty awesome IMO
Old 04-12-2005, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No doubt, I agree that the Mazda 3 is a nice car...in fact, it was the car I would have bought if it wasn't the tC. Features and probably comfort sold me on the Scion.

Quick Reply: Scion tC vs. Mazda 3?