Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Shifted from 3rd to 2nd how much trouble am I in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 03:35 AM
5 Year Member

Default Shifted from 3rd to 2nd how much trouble am I in?

Im sorry if this topic has already been addressed but I searched and coudln't find anything quite like it. So today I was flying in my tC when at 6200 RPM's I attempted to make the shift from third to fourth but instead like an idiot slammed it into 2nd. The engine pinged the limiter and the tires chirped from engine breaking. The clutch was pressed and I did easily and stupidly make it into second. I knew the second I did it I had made a huge mistake and pulled over right away. I drove the car for about an hour after that and it seems like the same old tC. I am still very worried and was wondering how much damage I have done and how much this is going to cost a poor person like me. Thanks for any responses and Im sorry if its old topic.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'd get it checked out ASAP, no way is that good for the car, I'm surprised it still runs actually. Better think up of a good lie to tell your dealer so you could still try to get it under warranty.

totally joking with you, im 99% sure it's still fine, just don't do it again
Old 03-07-2005, 03:44 AM
5 Year Member

nothing dont worry bout it i have done that too it just slows down really quickly think about it like if you were going to crash you would need to slow down quickly so you would shift fast to 2 i would not worry its met to take a beating
Old 03-07-2005, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

how many miles u got on ur car?
Old 03-07-2005, 03:52 AM
5 Year Member

i tell you you have nothing to worry boute look how nany times you drop your phone is that good for it? no but 1 time wont break it but c mon really ____ unles your clutch didnt stick then your fine + you drove it for an hour and its fine dont worry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-07-2005, 03:53 AM
5 Year Member

thanks for the replies, ive got 9700 miles on the car
Old 03-07-2005, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've done that to my car....i was in my car going from 3rd to 4th and i accidently put it in 2nd. i was shifting at 8600 rpms when i did this and my engine sounded like it was gonna blow but my car is perfectly fine. don't worry about it man. just don't do it ever again. lol
Old 03-07-2005, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You probably didn't mess anything up dont worry too much, but thats a great way to pop some engine mounts.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats a hardcore downshift! LOL.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nothing to worry about, everyone makes mistakes. i've done it once before and the car is still running great, no problem at all.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

have you ever wonder what was the purpose of a rev limiter?
Old 03-07-2005, 10:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

your not driving a car with 11:1 compression ratio with a 8K+ redline
you should be ok
now if you had a gt-s, rsx-s then you'd be screwed
Old 03-07-2005, 11:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it'll be fine. I think the clutch will slip before any serious damage to the engine will occur.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mach5
your not driving a car with 11:1 compression ratio with a 8K+ redline
you should be ok
now if you had a gt-s, rsx-s then you'd be screwed
my rsx-s redlines at 8600rpms and i did the same thing he did and mine is perfectly fine.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i saw a dude to that on his m3 at a drag race. he tried to down shift at the last moment cause he was losing. heard the tires chirp then and loud bang. car slowed to a crawl and never started back up. the cops came and everyone jetted except for that poor fella. wonder what ever happeded to him.

well if you car still runs fine dont worry too much about it. you can always get an oil sample tested and see how much metal is in it.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This happened to a friend of mine when he was driving his girlfriend's brand new 2000 Celica GT. He was redline shifting every gear but when he went to shift from 4th to 5th, he dumped it into 3rd! BOOM! Cracked the block, threw a piston and totally screwed the tranny. Somehow they managed to get it covered under warranty, $9000 repair! Funny thing is, she actually married him two years later. :D
Old 03-07-2005, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member

^^^^ now thats lucky
Old 03-08-2005, 04:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't think i will ever attempt a redline shift, my baby wouldn't be too happy with me. i'm amazed how much it really pulls after 4000 rpm. for the first two weeks of having the car, i didn't really ever go over 3000 rpm, i thought the car was a little slow. then finally i did, wow.

i made a major mistake twice, well, three times. i grinded 4th gear...i guess i was shifting too fast and i wasn't paying attention, but i had the clutch up all the way and i tried to put it in third. i was really tired that night

second mistake - i shifted 1st, 2nd, then i tried to get into third, but it wouldn't let me, so i pushed it harder, the car had slowed down a little and it let me in, yeah, that was first gear i was trying to get into, i let the clutch up and it totally rocked the car back and forth and the engine raced like crazy. didn't chirp the tires though, i didn't give it any gas. but i pushed the clutch out quickly and finally found third...man, my face was red. this was like the 3rd day of driving a stick shift car for the first time.

3rd mistake - scariest one in my opinion. i was going about 50 mph in 5th and a hill was coming up, so i wasn't going to climb the hill in 5th, i wanted to put it in 4th. well, i tried, but it wouldn't let me, so i tried again, this time with some force. it made a wierd robot metal grinding noise for a quarter second and i immediatly let go of the stick and it put it in neutral. i had shaved it into reverse from 5th gear at 50mph trying to find 4th....it's ok, my gears are fine.

oh yeah, i was in neutral once, rolling back in a driveway at slow speed and i put it in reverse, it crunched. i learned then that you need to be completely still to put it in reverse.

it's been a month since i've had my car...i'm getting so much better at stick. i figured i'd post my stupid things so you guys don't do them
Old 03-08-2005, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

done that before when i was a newb at stick lol.. didn't know how rpm works for each gear..

from what i remember.. it went down pretty fast..
Old 03-08-2005, 07:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xnevergiveinx
i don't think i will ever attempt a redline shift, my baby wouldn't be too happy with me. i'm amazed how much it really pulls after 4000 rpm. for the first two weeks of having the car, i didn't really ever go over 3000 rpm, i thought the car was a little slow. then finally i did, wow.

i made a major mistake twice, well, three times. i grinded 4th gear...i guess i was shifting too fast and i wasn't paying attention, but i had the clutch up all the way and i tried to put it in third. i was really tired that night

second mistake - i shifted 1st, 2nd, then i tried to get into third, but it wouldn't let me, so i pushed it harder, the car had slowed down a little and it let me in, yeah, that was first gear i was trying to get into, i let the clutch up and it totally rocked the car back and forth and the engine raced like crazy. didn't chirp the tires though, i didn't give it any gas. but i pushed the clutch out quickly and finally found third...man, my face was red. this was like the 3rd day of driving a stick shift car for the first time.

3rd mistake - scariest one in my opinion. i was going about 50 mph in 5th and a hill was coming up, so i wasn't going to climb the hill in 5th, i wanted to put it in 4th. well, i tried, but it wouldn't let me, so i tried again, this time with some force. it made a wierd robot metal grinding noise for a quarter second and i immediatly let go of the stick and it put it in neutral. i had shaved it into reverse from 5th gear at 50mph trying to find 4th....it's ok, my gears are fine.

oh yeah, i was in neutral once, rolling back in a driveway at slow speed and i put it in reverse, it crunched. i learned then that you need to be completely still to put it in reverse.

it's been a month since i've had my car...i'm getting so much better at stick. i figured i'd post my stupid things so you guys don't do them
Sounds like your a terrible manual driver! LOL......I've been driving stick for over 10 years. Never once popped it into the wrong gear. I have though grinded the gears a couple times tryin to throw back my stick in my '87 toy...

Quick Reply: Shifted from 3rd to 2nd how much trouble am I in?