Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Should I fight it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anytime you are over the speed limit the police officer can issue you a ticket even if its 1mph over the speed limit. There is no "going with the flow of traffic" on the freeways or highways. The speed limit is definite.

IMO the police offer let you off pretty easy. He gave you the lesser of the two tickets instead of issuing you both. A police offer once let me off with a fix it ticket for my windshield instead of an illegal u-turn ticket because he was nice.

I'd just pay the ticket and do some online traffic school to get it removed from your record.

It's pretty hard to fight a ticket when you're already clearly in the wrong. You're only shot if the officer that issued the ticket doesn't appear in court.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NYNCTC
i only tailgated for the 5 seconds it took me to realize he wasnt going to move.
why would you think the cop was going to move for YOU. of all the reasons hes going to move over for something, a random car is definitely not one of them.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

LOL at this topic.

I've always wanted to do what you did man, so congrats on that. I've seen TOO often cops going exactly the speed limit on two lane roads where people usually cruise 10 over

And there is literally a line backed up both rows because NOBODY wants to pass him

You passed him. You are my hero.

But to be honest, you're not going to get anywhere. Just go to court and admit you were wrong and ask for some leniency. I've heard that can work.

My only ticket was doing 73 in a 40 and the cop cited me for criminal speeding instead of wreckless driving, so I went to court, took my 2 points and $400 ticket and was on my way. So I have no experience with fighting tickets. My officer was nice enough to not take me to jail.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My only ticket was doing 73 in a 40

Egads!!! I have a 73 in a 40 right off the Triboro bridge in NY. Court in 3 months.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RCZDesigns
I've seen TOO often cops going exactly the speed limit on two lane roads where people usually cruise 10 over

And there is literally a line backed up both rows because NOBODY wants to pass him

You passed him. You are my hero.

are you kidding? you're complaining about a police officer going the speed limit?? if he's your hero stop hailing him and do it yourself if its really that big of a deal
Old 01-15-2009, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well traffic law depends on state. Some states you are allowed to speed to pass a vehical but then you have to slow back down.

2nd thing, I know in MD the staties have rear facing radar and can give you a ticket if you are behind them. You are luckly he didn't have it or use it on you.

3rd thing is that if the cop didn't have radar on you he has to follow you for like 1/8th of a mile and match speed with you to give you a ticket (in PA) Also the state police in PA have thier speedos checked regularly for this reason.

But if you want, go fight it. Can't really hurt too much. I try to always contest tickets but some times it isn't worth it. I don't think you will get out of thiis one with out a lawyer or something because you did it to the cop and judges like the cops word. But I always keep several car lenghts or a car in between me and the cop to reduce my chances of getting picked up for anything.

Good luck man, I wish you the best.