Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

So my friend is also getting a tC and is making a list ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 05:23 AM
Banned
SL Member

Default So my friend is also getting a tC and is making a list ...

... of mods that he is gonna do, he was too lazy to make an account, so ill ask his question for him.. ahem..

"Hello,

So far, I think I am going to get the following items:

Turbo Kit - 3500
Zeitronix Datalogger with wideband AFR, EGT, and Boost - 600
Trd Springs - 200
30% Tint All around - 200
Eclipse HU - 1500
Short Shifter / **** - 200
Wheels / Tires - 2000
Greddy SP 2 - 500
S 2000 Antenna - 30
Redline Hood Prop - 70

Total of $8,800

So my question to you scionlife is, what else should I get!? I have 4K more to spend!
"

^ = rich bastard...

well, answer his quesition so he can leave us alone ...
Old 07-24-2005, 05:30 AM
Banned
SL Member

gah, he also wants to know if his price estimates were right...

thanks guys for helping him
Old 07-24-2005, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

i say skip the turbo and get the super charger... it may not push as much HP, but it doesnt exactly void the warenty when you blow a rod racing...

and tell him to get a custom set of wheels from jline. that'll cause the price to jump a bit...

skip the springs and get coilovers from tein and dont forget the EDFC...

SWAY BARS!!!!
Old 07-24-2005, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This may be unpopular, but I'd say get a 350Z, RX8 or G-35 Coupe. Then you'll have a real sports car and you can build on that. Don't get me wrong, the tC is a great car, I just bought one, but if I had $12,000 more to spend I would have gotten a different car. Just my two cents.

Steve
Old 07-24-2005, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by SteveHawaii
This may be unpopular, but I'd say get a 350Z, RX8 or G-35 Coupe. Then you'll have a real sports car and you can build on that. Don't get me wrong, the tC is a great car, I just bought one, but if I had $12,000 more to spend I would have gotten a different car. Just my two cents.

Steve
thats actually a really good sugestion... i like it.. and if i had that amount i probably wouls of gotten a sti
Old 07-24-2005, 06:25 AM
Banned
SL Member

Steve
gah, good suggestion, his mind is set though
Old 07-24-2005, 06:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tell him to either not spend as much, or get a more expensive car to begin with. As Steve has said, I love my car and all, but, that doesn't mean there's nothing better out there for more money.

Upgrade performance, sound, handling, etc, sure, that's all fun and cool. However, when you're spending upwards of $10k on mods, you are really exiting your class of car. Think about it, with the mods he wants to do for now, he will be pushing about 250-320whp, and will have better-than-stock handling on a FWD car. For that money, he could get a 350Z that naturally has about 250whp, RWD, stiff handling, and parts capable of sustaining more punishment (larger engine, stronger tranny, bigger brakes, etc). Hell, get a used 350Z for about $22k, add a turbo for $3k, and for $25k you will have a 300whp+ RWD sports car.

I love the tC and all, but I think it's smarter to invest into a more expensive car if one is really looking to spend about $30k and really cares about performance.

However, IF your friend is dead set on doing what he wants, for the other $4k I would definitely get an upgraded clutch and a big brake kit. All that power from a turbo is good, but you need to brake once in a while, and not burn your clutch with horsepower it's not meant to handle in the long run.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Agreed.... spending 16k on a car like a tC and then blowing another 12k on upgrades is just silly...
Old 07-24-2005, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Sounds like a good list to start with. He might want to consider paint protection to prevent rock chips from damaging that purty new car he is building.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your friend's an idiot. Tell him to go buy a WRX STi.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

if so rich, tell him to get a better car
Old 07-24-2005, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Steve
Exactly what I was thinking. (Okay I was thinking a G35, but close enough)
Old 07-24-2005, 09:45 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

350Z or G35 are better cars for him. I love the tC and I think it's the best looking 4cyl out, and best performance in its class. However dropping 12k into a 16k car is crazy, you'll be paying more than what the car is worth brand new once you get done with everything. Don't forget car alarm and some sounds too. You'll probably end up want a bodykit too, like the obsidian widebody kit. The only price I know of that's way over is that s2000 antenna, they're only $20 on honda-acura world. And yeah get coilovers not springs, though springs are cool. But you might as well get coilovers with the coilover/shock combo.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

I'd definately drop my tC in a heartbeat and buy a G35 if I had a chance like your friend does. Don't get me wrong, I love my tC, but if I had that kinda money, i wouldn't be blowing it on a 17k car.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

nah dude, stick with the tC, if i had the chance to have an extra 12 grand... i prolly still would have gotten the tC because i know tC + 12 grand = really cool.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

How about getting a full 3" exhaust rather than a Greddy SP2, Stage 3 clutch, Ligthened flywheel, LSD, Greddy Profec E01 (2nd gen), Grounding Kit, Big brake kit, and a good Car alarm. Well that's what I'd do if I had that kind of money.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unless he knows how to install all that and do it himself and he knows how to tune his car then he has 4k left to spend but if he doesnt installation and tuning is gonna take off some of that 4k.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

Tuning is Fun. But if he wanted a sports car without the work an Evo or an STi would have been a better bet. I am going to spend near 24g on my tC, but I like tuning.

His list sucks by the way.
Turbo cool...
That datalogger is BS. if you are going to by a turbo kit for 3500 bucks. and 600 for something that tells you af ratios etc. By a stand alone computer that does all that crap to begin with.
TRD springs.. Nice. But get the shocks and Sway bars to go along with it.
tint. Well thats a style issue. to each his own.
Eclipse head unit is very nice Good choice there
Short shifter well that is an in expensive mod that will help.
Greddy sp2. While a nice exhaust for other cars. In a tC its still axle back
s2000 stubby is a good buy
Hood prop.. Pretty much useless Unless you are planning on displaying his engine. Wich other than the turbo he has Nothing to show. but if he wants it.

he left out the drive train (clutch, flywheel, LSD, gearing is fine), he left out the brakes, Wheels and tires for 2000 dollars is pretty cheap. If he's got the money like you say, he should be able to buy top dollar wheels and tires.
Head work. P&P along with Valve work, Fuel pump.

I am pretty paticular when it comes to my car and I don't like doing anything half arsed. But it seems to me your friend just wants to slap on a turbo and bling out his tC. If i had 12g lying around. I'd screw all the "look at me stuff" and get my performance stuff done. Wheels & tires= 4g, Stop tech COMPLETE Front&rear drilled slotted rotors with 4 piston calipers and all the trim= 1800, Forged internals = 3500, suspension = 1020, Clutch flywheel lsd = 1100 (not including labor for installation) P&P with valve work=700, Turbo kit (no carb legal kits so Just sit and wait), Exhaust & intake (again no carb legal parts so just sit and wait). If you aren't mechanically inclined or somewhat mechanically inclined (I wont' touch the tranny) you'll need some cash for labor also.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Strut bar for about $100
Brake kit about $1,000
Old 12-17-2006, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if i had the money, i would definitely have a G35 or a 350. Only problem is even though your spending more money on a nicer car, your starting from scratch. Least with the difference in money with the tc and 350 you can personalize the tc and afford some of the extras. on top of that its not that impressive to see a 350 Z run a high end mustang or camaro, but it is by far more impressive to see a tc roll out on them.

Quick Reply: So my friend is also getting a tC and is making a list ...