Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

So searched and not finding any help on it

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default So searched and not finding any help on it

So this is a a/c related issue. I searched and saw that the 07's had a whole bunch of lighting issues on the hvac. The tc is an 08 and the thing is the ac is not blowing cold. Checked all the fuses had someone else check the condensor and other stuff under the dash. Finally yesterday it was at the dealership and they say everything is fine, put in freon and everything. They said the hvac unit is fried and them replacing it is 1k, and that is the reason it is not blowing cold. Now for the record I am more than capable of replacing the hvac on the car so paying them to do that is never going to happen haha. The thing is all the buttons work after messing with them. Do you all think they are just bsing me? I'm gonna go look for a used hvac and swap them out to see if it works and fixes the issue but I was trying to see if anyone has also had this issue? All the lights work all the buttons work from my knowledge but could it be that even though the ac button is lighting up and everything the board could be faulty and causing this issue of the ac not blowing cold? Again everything else was checked out, but am not very knowledgable when it comes to ac.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You get what you pay for.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah man your reply doesn't help, like I said it was checked by a ac person check it who said condenser,and then the dealership who said fried hvac board. My question was asking if that could really be the cause of the issue when all the lights work and all the other buttons work or if they are just trying to get more money.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You didn't say in the OP, did the person who checked the condenser say it was bad? If so, it would be a start, i don't know if you know the person who checked it and if it is someone you trust or not, but if it is then listen to them. Stealerships are called just that for a reason.

If you can find a cheap HVAC on here, then go for it.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The person who first checked it said it was fine(someone we know), the dealership also said the whole system was fine(checked freon levels,everything else) and that the hvac unit was the problem. I just find it a bit weird that the whole board seems to work fine other than the ac button(which lights up and everything) and is which they say is the issue. Also no one else has seem to had this issue arise. I know the 07's did have faulty boards, so not really sure what to think about the dealerships diagnosis.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can you feel the ac system kick on when you try to turn on the ac? I can feel mine when it's at idle. If you cant feel it, Id say the HVAc is a problem, If so, the problem has to be in the ac system itself.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a 08 and the A/C sucks big time. I took it to the dealership within the first year of buying it for this reason and from all the reading i been doing we are just SOL. These cars don't have very good A/C. They might be fine when its 70-75 out but when it hits 80+ the A/C is really horrible.

My older 1995 Talon A/C was so cold i would have to turn it off most of the time.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have an 08 and the ac was horrible when i bought it new then it just stopped working this year. I went to autozone and refilled it with freon and it blows colder than ever. Id try spending the 20 bucks to see if it works
Old 06-03-2012, 03:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

baseballstar:not sure if i heard the motor kick in
ttccc: yeah the ac in the car sucks, but it isnt blowing cold air at all
brandaman: the dealership checked the freon levels and everything was up to par. But still saying the hvac unit is fried seems a bit farfetched to me with everything on it seems to work, but for their recomendation I am going to try and get a new hvac unit and see if that fixes the problem.
Another question, the condensor motor is behind the glove box correct? I read on the first gen xb and the xa that sometimes the motor would get stuck so may try and see if that is the issue
Old 06-03-2012, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The most important thing is to have a tech that you trust.
I have a local shop that I use once in a while when I'm not absolutely sure what I'm doing. They aren't cheap, but I done believe they're ripping me off. They do a great job.
What I meant by my previous post is that, when something is over my head, I believe it's worth paying someone who knows what he is doing, over me fumbling around, hopefully doing it right.
That's what I meant by You get what you pay for.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:26 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The cost for one of the HVAC units is about $600 if I remember correctly. If the Toyota dealership is certified and they tell you everything checks out and it's the HVAC unit, then they probably are correct. I'm not trying to say anything about you, but it's probably best to leave it to people that have the proper experience to repair this for you. The condenser "motor" is located under the hood on the passengers side. The condenser pump is an acessory driven by the seprentine belt system. You can try to diagnose by turning on your car, set the blower motor to fastest, turn the temperature setting to coldest (full counter clock wise) and listen for the clutch to engage on the pump itself or you can stand over the serpentine belt and listen for the click and a faint pumping sound. It should start and stop quite frequently. If you never hear it, then something is wrong, if it stays pumping, that's bad as well as it'll freeze and probably break. LMK what happens if you decide to try this out.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well took it to another ac person and he ran through everything himself. The compressor is the issue not the hvac unit. He got it to blow cold air so it for sure isnt just the ac button not working on the unit.