Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

so...went to get my first oil change

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default so...went to get my first oil change

well woke up early this morn to get the oil change on my tc......went to the dealer and went to the service at the dealer....the guy at the desk tells me i have to have an appintment to get a oil change on any kind of a scion.........then tells me if i wanted to wait i might be there for over two hrs......so now i have to make and appiontment......do u really need to make and appointment to get an oil change? was neone else told to make an appintment?

btw the service area had no body waiting or nething two of the techs were just sitting there chillin, like they had noting to do.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

every dealership is different. Oh, and if you get 3 free oil changes on your tc, make sure you tell the service guy you just want the free oil change. Ofentimes, people assume the 3k or 5k service is the same as the free oil change. That might vary from dealer to dealer as well, but I wouldn't know.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Ture, make sure to mention the free oil change but most dealerships have no waiting on oil changes and can do them fairly quickly. Mine are ussually done in 30 mins or less. I think they are BS'ing you since they know it is free and only get reimbursed the parts costs from Toyota not the full amount. I say complain to the service manager and threaten to take your business elsewhere.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Default Re: so...went to get my first oil change

Originally Posted by dudechewy
well woke up early this morn to get the oil change on my tc......went to the dealer and went to the service at the dealer....the guy at the desk tells me i have to have an appintment to get a oil change on any kind of a scion.........then tells me if i wanted to wait i might be there for over two hrs......so now i have to make and appiontment......do u really need to make and appointment to get an oil change? was neone else told to make an appintment?

btw the service area had no body waiting or nething two of the techs were just sitting there chillin, like they had noting to do.
They weren't busy? If so that sucks.

What dealer is that? I think the world deserves to know.

We do business on appointments whenever we can, it helps things run more smoothly, but (not being stoopid) we try our best to accomodate people whenever we can.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Re: so...went to get my first oil change

Originally Posted by bbcrud

They weren't busy? If so that sucks.

What dealer is that? I think the world deserves to know.

We do business on appointments whenever we can, it helps things run more smoothly, but (not being stoopid) we try our best to accomodate people whenever we can.
Same at my dealership. But oil changes during the week are done without apts. Saturdays though we ask for apts on everything.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've always had to make appointments for anything done at a dealership (even oil changes). And that goes for other makes/brands of cars too. They only have so-many techs working, and if they have a full service load for the day, someone would have to stop what they're doing to pull your car in and do the oil change. Making an appointment isn't a big deal. I understand the need for it.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

You have to make an appointment, always have, always will. Its not like the old days. People have set times to be there, not to mention service guys have other stuff to do then just change someones oil. Plus they only get paid for certain hours. Basically, he told you the truth, Service, was probably busy at that point with other stuff, so 2 hours is a bout right, your lucky he even offered it at all. Most would tell you to come back.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know about always. I go to Longo's service department and it's usually done in 30 minutes, no appointment needed.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

im here in jersey.......hudson toyota to be exact.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Lot's of places have guys that just do the oil changes and such. Most service depts aren't going to spend ASE certified mechanics time to drain and fill.

Also, you don't have to use your free oil changes right away. The first couple of times I took mine to the local place I go. It's only $20-30 bucks and these guys make sure they put everything back in place, etc, so I trust them for that. When i did have to go in to Scion for some service, I had them do one of the free ones then...
Old 12-16-2004, 01:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I called when I was on my way to the dealer. They told me is was going to be a 30min wait. I got there, they took the car and it was around 10min tops!!!!!

I was told that the oil should be changed every 5000miles.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mx6GT91
I was told that the oil should be changed every 5000miles.
and there you have it boys and girls lol

( this would be an inside joke to the complexities of oil change intervals , oh nm )
Old 12-16-2004, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from the manual and people posting, it is said to do an oil change every 5000 miles or 6 months .. i drive 50/50 highway and city so my maint. light came on at about 4,300 miles. i was busy so i didnt take it right away.. waited for about a week. i got in the mail a flyer from my dealer saying how its been 4 months since i bought the car and i havent gone in for services.. and i went for my 1st free oil change on monday, took about 30 min so i was pleased .. and the sticker they put on the car said to come back in 3k miles and 3 months from now. .. gets me a little curious how much the dealer knows about the car .. i mean they should know to come back in 5k or 6 months