2005-2010 [ANT10]

Switchblade Key

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

German cars are very raliable mechanically. Its the electronics that screw them over because we all know the more electronics there are in the car, the more chanced there are for the to get messed up.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Chombi
Do everyone a favor and quit spreading the tired old myth of the so called superior "German Engineering"
yeah, that tired old "myth" of mercedes, bmw, and vw/ag (audi) as having superior engineering.

i read your rant and again i speak only from my experience. vwag is more than the jetta and more that vw. i've driven audis for several years. i drove my 1984 audi 4000 (vw quantum 5 cyl.) to the tune of 221,000 miles with general maintenance ....drove my 1995 audi 90 cs (2.8 litre 6 cylinder 174 hp) to the tune of 174,000 miles with general maintenance before passing it off to someone who appreciated the car, and everything was still working (freakin' sun roof included).

i bought a tC as my first japanese car, but you are out of gas trying to disparage audi to me. i've owned them. the tC sir, is no audi (nor should it be, they are not in the same league).

i still like it though. love it in fact.

the essence of communication is intention...and psssh to the intention of your post.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chefbpowers
wow....this got turned way off topic....just wanted to know about a switchblade key....thanks for those who replied to such
dude, competing interests...jk, sry. my bad
Old 07-01-2005, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

you truly do learn something new everyday!
Old 07-01-2005, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by surfcity40
Do everyone a favor and quit spreading the tired old myth of the so called superior "German Engineering"
yeah, that tired old "myth" of mercedes, bmw, and vw/ag (audi) as having superior engineering.

i read your rant and again i speak only from my experience. vwag is more than the jetta and more that vw. i've driven audis for several years. i drove my 1984 audi 4000 (vw quantum 5 cyl.) to the tune of 221,000 miles with general maintenance ....drove my 1995 audi 90 cs (2.8 litre 6 cylinder 174 hp) to the tune of 174,000 miles with general maintenance before passing it off to someone who appreciated the car, and everything was still working (freakin' sun roof included).

i bought a tC as my first japanese car, but you are out of gas trying to disparage audi to me. i've owned them. the tC sir, is no audi (nor should it be, they are not in the same league).

the essence of communication is intention...and psssh to the intention of your post.
VW is no Audi! did you read anything in my post putting Audi down?
VW is Audi's poor poor cousin at best. Can't compare the two. Ask my brother. He jumped off VW and happily went to the Audi A4 family!
VW is EEEVil!!!
Chombi
Old 07-01-2005, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mainrodax
little known fact:
VW's first car (the bug) had originally been designed by Hitler. Hitler created the volkswagen in the hope of it being pretty much a "national car", cheap and affordable. The early design, the one Hitler personally drew up, was actually sort of sinister looking. It was just a big wedge with a rounded front. The VW engineers carefully modified it by sliding the cabin back and rounding the edges, enough to look much more appealing but not get themselves on a guillotine, making pretty much the same design as the bug has been for the last 60 years.
Who says that's little known?
Old 07-01-2005, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

VW is Audi's poor poor cousin at best. Can't compare the two. Ask my brother. He jumped off VW and happily went to the Audi A4 family!
VW is EEEVil!!!
Chombi
As an ex-VW driver (four of them) myself, it is obvious if you think that VW and Audi aren't VERY closely related that you are completely mistaken. Your anecdotal experience does not make their partnership any different.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jaydub

VW is EEEVil!!!
Chombi
As an ex-VW driver (four of them) myself, it is obvious if you think that VW and Audi aren't VERY closely related that you are completely mistaken. Your anecdotal experience does not make their partnership any different.
Anecdotal?!, here a list of VW my family had gone through.
1) 70's Westfalia van = very good (A van that went very long distances and never ever broke down. Fun in campings too!)
2) Mid 70's Old Beetle (76?) = great (A truly great VW, solid engine, body like a tank, and fun to drive!)
3) Mid 70's 411 hatchback = bad (Engine would not stay in good tune and always ran very rough since new, Some interior and outside trim fell off the car)
4) Early 80's Dasher = Very bad (Everything just started to fall off the car., right off from new. Door handles, window winders, even tail signal light housings, bumper caps...you name it, it fell off or broke! Engine even blew up on us.)
-) A long break from VW after the two horror cars for a few years to let them figure things out.
5) 97 Passat VR6 = Very very bad! (My dad and brother warned me not to buy it. I should have listened. A sensorama of warning light shows and component failures. Every system in the engine compartment started breaking down prematurely at under 60K miles!)
6) 2001 Passat GLX = Almost just as bad as previous but could have been worse if we hung on to it any longer! (More CEL and ABS light shows and major front suspension component failures and interior finishes that peel of with use)

See the awful trend?

I'm done, Point made! Now let me keep enjoying my Scion tC, thoroughly and forget the VW horrors of the past! Forever!!!

Chombi
Old 07-01-2005, 07:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmmm, i never thought of this. Normally the transponder would be a problem, but I have a remote starter in my tC which has the transponder bypass. I need to look into this more...
Old 07-01-2005, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member

Scion Noics
SL Member

If you buy a VW then you are a ****, plain and simple...you're not a ****, are you?

Old 07-01-2005, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by indecisive311
If you buy a VW then you are a ****, plain and simple...you're not a ****, are you?

The new Pope drove a Golf, so what's that saying?
Old 07-01-2005, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jaydub

VW is EEEVil!!!
Chombi
Anecdotal?!, here a list of VW my family had gone through.
1) 70's Westfalia van = very good (A van that went very long distances and never ever broke down. Fun in campings too!)
2) Mid 70's Old Beetle (76?) = great (A truly great VW, solid engine, body like a tank, and fun to drive!)
3) Mid 70's 411 hatchback = bad (Engine would not stay in good tune and always ran very rough since new, Some interior and outside trim fell off the car)
4) Early 80's Dasher = Very bad (Everything just started to fall off the car., right off from new. Door handles, window winders, even tail signal light housings, bumper caps...you name it, it fell off or broke! Engine even blew up on us.)
-) A long break from VW after the two horror cars for a few years to let them figure things out.
5) 97 Passat VR6 = Very very bad! (My dad and brother warned me not to buy it. I should have listened. A sensorama of warning light shows and component failures. Every system in the engine compartment started breaking down prematurely at under 60K miles!)
6) 2001 Passat GLX = Almost just as bad as previous but could have been worse if we hung on to it any longer! (More CEL and ABS light shows and major front suspension component failures and interior finishes that peel of with use)

See the awful trend?

I'm done, Point made! Now let me keep enjoying my Scion tC, thoroughly and forget the VW horrors of the past! Forever!!!

Chombi
Anecdotal - refers to evidence based on reports of specific individual cases rather than controlled, clinical studies.

Anecdotal - based on personal accounts.

Anecdotal - An anecdote is a short tale told about an interesting, amusing, or biographical incident. Usually an anecdote is based on real life, an incident involving actual persons or places.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what about the key?
Old 07-01-2005, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

JD Power initial car quality survey results:
http://www.jdpower.com/news/releases...asp?ID=2005069

Industry average: 118
Toyota: 105
Volkswagen: 147.
Only Land Rover, Mazda and Suzuki scored worse.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks to this thread I just bought one. Talk about an impulse buy! Hopefully will have it in a week or so.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by indecisive311

i get it....so driving a tC makes me a japanese kamakaze pilot....please...

"During the Pacific War [Toyota] was dedicated to truck production for the Imperial Army."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota#...6.E2.80.931946
Old 07-01-2005, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Lurker Steve
JD Power initial car quality survey results:
http://www.jdpower.com/news/releases...asp?ID=2005069

Industry average: 118
Toyota: 105
Volkswagen: 147.
Only Land Rover, Mazda and Suzuki scored worse.
you should note that lower is better.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member

There's also the Consumer Report's most reliable and least reliable cars list:

http://money.cnn.com/2004/11/08/pf/a...o_reliability/

Look at the small cars. Ouch.

-The Grinman :D
Old 07-01-2005, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Despite the off-topic direction this post has taken, I think the lesson learned here is, you take a chance when you dwell into the darkside that is called VW!
Why would you ever want to use anything made by VW on your beautiful and reliable tC?! It's just expensive junk! The plastic covered buttons get all crappy and misshapened after a short time, and they break easy if you drop them. I'd rather just design a custom billet switchblade key case for the tC instead, with metal buttons and room for the transplanted electronics.
As for the VW die-hards that posted in this thread, who I can tell just hates me so much for telling the truth on VW crappiness, you can continue to close your eyes to reality and stay the lemmings you are, marching to the edge of the cliff, towards a life of misery with Volkswagen late model products. It's your choice! Don't say we did not warn you!

Chombi
VW free forever!