Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

tC automatic transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 02:10 AM
5 Year Member

Default tC automatic transmission

Hey how's everyone doin'? I just wanted to say that this is one of the most informative and friendly car forums I have come across on the internet. :D

-I don't know if this has been asked before, but does anyone know if the tC automatic transmission will have a gated shifter, and if it does have a gated shifter, will it also have "manumatic" shift capability via the stick like the 04 Solara V6?

Being that the tC is a sporty tourer like the Solara, I don't see why they wouldn't offer at least the gated shifter.
I know that "manumatic" is not available on the 4cyl Solara, but it would certainly give the tC that much more of an edge over the competition. Especially since Mazda offers it on the 3.

The only reasons I can think of why they would not be offered are of course the cost, and maybe fear of product overlap between the tC and the Solara.

Any and all comments will be most appreciated.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:43 AM
5 Year Member

im pretty sure the tc will have a gated shifter but i highly doubt it on the manumatic... even though i personally think the feature would be great but it would bump up costs too much... the only picture of a scion tc automatic i have seen is the photo in the pdf file brochure of the tc at http://www.scion.com
Old 03-17-2004, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

A manumatic would be great. The Mazda 3 has one.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I feel sorry for those that don't know how to drive manual yet... I was in that crowd about two years ago, but I learned off a WRX (not smart at all)

Being it's AWD and has about the worst tranny imaginable...

For those that are wanting to play gearshifts, I seriously suggest you invest 500 bucks on a beater that has a 4 speed or something you can beat the crap out of and get yourself started on learning stick... Don't do it on your new car...

Manualmatics might be fun, but just remember it's all just a torque converter... There really is no feeling in the world to replace a downshift... Which is the whole reason people drive manual LOL no one drives for the upshift... You can say those 1/4 mile guys do it a lot, but they do it for the acceleration not for the fun and control :D
Old 03-17-2004, 07:58 AM
jjp
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default No

I don't believe there will be a "manumatic" feature on the tC.

Seriousely, check out the Mazda 3s, it has a pretty sweet interioir, great engine, amazing handling, and apparently has a manumatic option. All this will cost you less than a tC most likely...

I know you already know about the manumatic on the 3, but definately check that car out if it is a feature you desire. Google it and read up.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Some people just like Autos better. I agree the Mazda 3 is going to be hard to beat.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Probably going to have the same tranny from the 4-cly. Camry.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know people like auto better, but these are not the people that ask for a manualmatic auto...

Those that want manualmatics are either

1) Old with family and don't want to give the kids a whiplash on a bad shift

2) Manual drivers without the know how...

And most of them fall under number 2 more since we're talking about the tC because it isn't really an "old guy" family car... Try as you might, but the back seats are still in coupe form and won't accomodate your "kids" for too long...

I won't deprive anyone's love for the simple D and go automatic life, but I'm just suggesting that if you fall under group 2, putting 500 down on a bucket and learning might be worth more than putting 1000 down on the automatic (assuming the cost of a manual is cheaper per usual)

Also, you really can't beat down shifting :D :D :D
Old 03-18-2004, 08:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

doesnt it take the manuamatic a little longer to shift that manual? my cousin has the base rsx witht he sport shift(manuamatic) and everytime he is racing or driving fast, it hits the limiter everytime he shifts. even if he shifts at 6500 rpm (redlines at 7k rpm). but then again that can just be my cousin.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I haven't driven it, but my friend drove it and it's very laggy... Almost like stepping on the gas really hard and waiting for auto to downshift for you... It electronically rev then engages I think which is pretty much slower than if you fully pedal to the metal to make the car downshift itself... I dunno how it is on other cars tho...

All I have to say is, you still get no engine braking, it's pointless to downshift an auto. Which is exactly why I suggested what I suggested and not to bash people that rather drive auto because they don't know how to drive manual... (Hey I was there a year and a half ago)

I also learned in San Francisco with all the fun hills and what not, and it only took maybe 6 months to be totally comfortable and not worry about dying out..

I tried to find a rental place with manuals but no luck... But I asked a friend to teach me on his first gen MR2 and I drove two hours before I picked up my WRX and drove that till I totalled it... (I drove it for stress release and it ended up being more stressful)
Old 06-01-2004, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by KAuss
I feel sorry for those that don't know how to drive manual yet... I was in that crowd about two years ago, but I learned off a WRX (not smart at all)

Being it's AWD and has about the worst tranny imaginable...

For those that are wanting to play gearshifts, I seriously suggest you invest 500 bucks on a beater that has a 4 speed or something you can beat the crap out of and get yourself started on learning stick... Don't do it on your new car...

Manualmatics might be fun, but just remember it's all just a torque converter... There really is no feeling in the world to replace a downshift... Which is the whole reason people drive manual LOL no one drives for the upshift... You can say those 1/4 mile guys do it a lot, but they do it for the acceleration not for the fun and control :D
yeah downshift is great and manual brings the muscle feeling to a car but i live in Philly not the surrounding areas of philly and philly is the 5th largest city in the us and it just seems pointless to shift threw the city when its basically just a stop and start, thas why hardly anybody in philly has manual transmission. when i get my tc im usin for daily driver not for some weekend joyride so the manual route is not gonna come till i atleast have one auto
Old 06-01-2004, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

the Tc won't have a manutronic option (damn)- no mention of it in the factory manual

Now okay people we have been over the Mazda 3 before. Preppy much the same MSRP as a TC but that is without a sunroof or 17 inch wheels.

I really liked the road feel of the Mazda 3 but with all the options I wanted the price rose to about 22,000 while with the tc my base price with 1 option put me up to 18,000

But Mazda does make a great car, I'll be interested to see what Mazdaspeed's version of the 3 turns out to be.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member

But Mazda does make a great car
You Do know that MAZDA is made/owned by FORD. I'll just leave it at that. deeBO
Old 06-01-2004, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya, don't kid yourself, the manualmatic will not be nearly as good as the manual, the shifts are laggy and its pretty easy to hit the rev limiter. U have to shift pretty early. But if u cant drive the manual or have little kids, the manualmatic is pretty cool.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:55 AM
5 Year Member

I like the dual-clutch DirectShift manumatic that some of the new Audis have. It seems to be the first that combines a decent ride with faster shifts than even the best driver can make with a manual. One clutch engages the current gear while the other anticipates your next gear - its pretty tight. A lot of manumatics I've driven seem like just glorified versions of the [2] and [1] slots on my auto, which are lame.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Fly_By_Nite
But Mazda does make a great car
You Do know that MAZDA is made/owned by FORD. I'll just leave it at that. deeBO
Stop spreading the FUD :?

Ford owns a PORTION of Mazda (something like 30% or something like that) and they share platforms (the chassis that underpin the 3 and 6). But the 3 was designed and is built in Japan.

Calling the 3 a Ford is about as lame as calling a Matrix a GM vehicle.

Don't get me wrong, I love Toyota, but the brand whoring going on around here is unbearable sometimes.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mwdelta
I like the dual-clutch DirectShift manumatic that some of the new Audis have. It seems to be the first that combines a decent ride with faster shifts than even the best driver can make with a manual. One clutch engages the current gear while the other anticipates your next gear - its pretty tight. A lot of manumatics I've driven seem like just glorified versions of the [2] and [1] slots on my auto, which are lame.
omg i know what ur talking about, i love that. Now if only the Audi tt they offer it in was worth the money...
Old 06-02-2004, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Rousterfar
Some people just like Autos better. I agree the Mazda 3 is going to be hard to beat.

but it is a MAZDA. That is the same thing as a FORD. the TC will blow all of the competition away.
The Price: 16,465.00
The warranty: 5yr 60k
The value: Toyota
The engine: 2.4l 4cyl 160hp coming out of the #1 selling car in the usa (camry).
Old 06-02-2004, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member

but it is a MAZDA. That is the same thing as a FORD. the TC will blow all of the competition away.
The engine: 2.4l 4cyl 160hp coming out of the #1 selling car in the usa (camry).
Old 06-02-2004, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by JOHN MCDONALD

have you actually driven a mazda 3 for you to make that comment?

Quick Reply: tC automatic transmission