tC: Is it a chic car or not??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Pablo xB
Originally Posted by jackmott
TC is for people who are too caught up in hating domestics to realize the SRT4 is 100 times more car for the money.

=)
And the SRT4 is for people who are too caught up in numbers to notice the carr falling apart on them...
amen to that :D
Old 02-12-2004, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jaywade24
TC is for people who are too caught up in hating domestics to realize the SRT4 is 100 times more car for the money.

=)
And the SRT4 is for people who are too caught up in numbers to notice the carr falling apart on them...
all I can say is Damnnnn ..... :D
I own a scion, an XA, I like it a lot and I think its one of the best cars in its price class for what it is.

The TC has a WHOLE lot of competition in the FWD $19k market. Going to be a much harder sale for people who aren't just scion sack riders. They are just going to have to like the way it looks better than the civic SI and RSX-S etc, and they are going to just have to have irrational beliefs about SRT4 reliability =)

for instance, just checking JDPowers reliability studys - it rates the SRT4 interior quality and feature quality higher than the Toyota Celica, the celica wins on mechanical quality.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Docsnuff
Oh well, if Tavis, Jay and Allen all want tC's then it is definitly a chick car!!!

Doc
I think the RS 1.0 is the most perfect example of a chick car! Nothing like the tC, which is totally masculine and oozes testosterone

just kidding Doc
Old 02-12-2004, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

Originally Posted by Jaywade24

=)
all I can say is Damnnnn ..... :D
I own a scion, an XA, I like it a lot and I think its one of the best cars in its price class for what it is.

The TC has a WHOLE lot of competition in the FWD $19k market. Going to be a much harder sale for people who aren't just scion sack riders. They are just going to have to like the way it looks better than the civic SI and RSX-S etc, and they are going to just have to have irrational beliefs about SRT4 reliability =)
hey bro I aint hatein....I see that you own a Xa....I thank you for being a scion owner....as far as SRT 4 I don't write bad things about other cars....it's not needed....there are all kinds of info out there for all to see....A good friend of my older sister is high up with dodge....I'm in to imports.....but what my man said above was funny....like I said no hate here.....
Old 02-12-2004, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

Originally Posted by DibujoB
Originally Posted by Docsnuff
Oh well, if Tavis, Jay and Allen all want tC's then it is definitly a chick car!!!

Doc
I think the RS 1.0 is the most perfect example of a chick car! Nothing like the tC, which is totally masculine and oozes testosterone

just kidding Doc
Drew I luv you bro...I luv it with you Cali guys chime in to pile up on ole Doc....what could be better.... :D :D :D
Old 02-13-2004, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member

The Mazda 3 is a breezy-mobile.

As for the he-man-ish tC? Well, as long as the FAB 5 can fit in there, i'll sit ON the stick shift!
Old 02-13-2004, 02:38 AM
5 Year Member

guessing and sorta stereotype'n...

glass roof, seating for 4, power seat, rich interior, stereo, looks, price - women

supercharger, 17" alloy wheels, stereo, independent suspension, looks, sporty interior, a good start for both perfomance and stereo mods, price - guy

How bout talk'n about ur xA Jackmott and go'n to a srt site to rave about the srt. Seems a more sensible thing to do.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by couper
How bout talk'n about ur xA Jackmott and go'n to a srt site to rave about the srt. Seems a more sensible thing to do.
you see i don't understand the hostility to comparisons outside the toyota cult. comparing the Tc to the srt4 is more on topic then jackmott talking about his xA...

please, worship your toyota temple in your own shrine... let us compare all cars to our scion and hopefully allow scion to work towards a better car.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cowboy
you see i don't understand the hostility to comparisons outside the toyota cult. comparing the Tc to the srt4 is more on topic then jackmott talking about his xA...

please, worship your toyota temple in your own shrine... let us compare all cars to our scion and hopefully allow scion to work towards a better car.
ill defend couper, Jackmotts's making smart ___ comments in most of his posts regarding the scion and SRT-4.

Give it a break dude if you like the car so much go buy yourself one.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Thank you reclusedx and couper! There is a big different in comparing the tC with the srt4 than what jackmott is doing. In almost all his posts he states how great he thinks the srt-4 is and rags on the tC. The tC forum is for talking about the tC, usually good things about it at that. Take the smart ___ comments somewhere else.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member

Default hmm

well in my opinion, comparing the SRT4 and the tC is like apples and oranges. You can't throw a domestic into a class with imports, no matter how diluted the compact industry is. Imports and Domestics are two completely different categories. If you were to compare the SRT4 to the Focus ZX3 or something, you'd have a plausible argument. In addition, the tC is only slated to start around 17, and with all the standard features, I could see it being very hard to compare a 17k performance Toyota with a 21k+ RSX-S or a 19k Civic Si, which the Si can't be compared either, b/c that damn things a bubble on wheels. The tC, as we all know, borrows alot of styling from luxury vehicles. This is really going to attract any parent who was going to buy their kid a BMW or Audi for their birthday, ya know? The looks and styling of a BMW or Audi, and the reliability and price of a Toyota? I mean come on you can't even really complain about that. I'm just one person, but the tC is easily going to double sales at Scion dealerships, at least here on the East Coast. :D
Old 02-13-2004, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i hope the tC does good with their sales but i hope it doesnt become too great of a success; to the point where everybody in the neighborhood has one.....from grandma to Johnny the 16 year old with 'powered by honda' stickers on their tC...im uncomfortable with that but theres a good side to that aswell: aftermarket support.

its gonna be a tough decision once june comes along.
Old 02-14-2004, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

That's one thing I'm somewhat worried about too. I don't want to see everyone and their mothers driving a tC. Maybe I should start looking at the xB limited edition one. Oh well. I guess we'll see how it goes in June.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:57 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by cowboy

The srt's goal is entirely different than that of the tC's. The srt is a vehicle that sacrafices all else for performance. I'm relatively sure we all understand this. And we all should understand that the tC is more than just that. Simply stating the srt's speed and cornering advantage over the tC is pointless. Stating such over and over is annoying as well as pointless.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC4me
Thank you reclusedx and couper! There is a big different in comparing the tC with the srt4 than what jackmott is doing. In almost all his posts he states how great he thinks the srt-4 is and rags on the tC. The tC forum is for talking about the tC, usually good things about it at that. Take the smart ___ comments somewhere else.
so wait. i'm confused. can we only write good things about scions on this board?

all i know is that if i was buying a tC i'd be pretty ____ed if everyone just gave it lipservice and forgot to tell me about the downsides. there are negatives to everything. obviously the tC is not the perfect car for everybody (hello chevy malibu) no matter what you guys might think.
statements like:
Simply stating the srt's speed and cornering advantage over the tC is pointless.
and
You can't throw a domestic into a class with imports...
are just unjustified and uneducated. while you may be able to ignore comparisons to other cars in the SAME class, most potential buyers will not. (and the SC tC will be ~20k and be in the same class as the srt4, civic SI, focus SVT, etc... )
just because you don't like domestics or think there reliability matches that of a toyota, it's beside the point that THERE ARE domestic cars in the same category. and there are many people that buy them. doesn't have to be you or me, but there are people that buy them and i'm sure they have good reasons (like caring more about speed and cornering then glass sunroofs and toyota quality).

now obviously just stating that the srt4 is supierior to the tC is ridiculous (jackmott) but no more ridiculous then ignoring the srt4 as a competitor to the tC purely because its domestic(WestburyScion).

remember, the topic of this thread is whether or not the tC is a chick car... which whether or not i or you agree that it's a sexist issue, will bring comparisons of SPEED and CORNERING vs. SUNROOFS and RECLINING back seats. that's the nature of a question. you get a lot of different answers... some you may not like, but that's why they make different cars for different people.

obviously we are all passionate about cars and that's a good thing... we just need to make sure we don't take someone else's opinion in relation to an innanimate object personally.

i think the tC will be a fantastic car for many people... just not for jackmott ;)
Old 02-14-2004, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Production is limited

Production will be limited with the tC, even though it will be the volume leader for Scion once it hits our lots. Not everyone who wants one will be able to get one -- for now.

It is something I would not worry about. Just my thoughts --

Scion sales
Old 02-14-2004, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member

Yo cowboy, the only class that both the tC and the srt roughly fit in is price. Other than that they are entirely different vehicles.

I don't think that most people that are complaining of comparisons between the two cars are looking at it from a domestic and import point of view. I believe its more of an inexpensive-barebones-crudish-rocket compaired with an inexpensive-refined-sporty-tourer point of view.

Also, how could my statement of:
"Simply stating the srt's speed and cornering advantage over the tC is pointless"
be as you put it:
"just unjustified and uneducated"
when you, yourself made the statement:
"now obviously just stating that the srt4 is supierior to the tC is ridiculous"
Seems like your contradicting yourself.

I do agree with you when you say:
"remember, the topic of this thread is whether or not the tC is a chick car... which whether or not i or you agree that it's a sexist issue, will bring comparisons of SPEED and CORNERING vs. SUNROOFS and RECLINING back seats. that's the nature of a question. you get a lot of different answers... some you may not like, but that's why they make different cars for different people.
obviously we are all passionate about cars and that's a good thing... we just need to make sure we don't take someone else's opinion in relation to an innanimate object personally. -
Old 02-16-2004, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yo cowboy, the only class that both the tC and the srt roughly fit in is price. Other than that they are entirely different vehicles.
yes i would agree that they are vehicles for different purposes, but that was my point. i believe people will compare them (even if it is only the price that is simliar) and they obviously are (hello us). if i was to buy a sports car i'd get the srt4. if i was to buy a "sporty" car (where things beyond pure performance mattered) i'd buy a tC. as you said:
I believe its more of an inexpensive-barebones-crudish-rocket compaired with an inexpensive-refined-sporty-tourer point of view.
now concerning:
Also, how could my statement of:
"Simply stating the srt's speed and cornering advantage over the tC is pointless"
be as you put it:
"just unjustified and uneducated"
when you, yourself made the statement:
"now obviously just stating that the srt4 is supierior to the tC is ridiculous"
Seems like your contradicting yourself.
might seem like i am being contradictory, but there is a huge difference between simply saying "my car is better then yours" compared to "my car is better then yours because:...". i think that stating the srt4's "speed and cornering advantage" clearly and concisely lays out the advantage of the srt4 to the tC. can you think of any other advantages???? (i don't think there is any )

thanks for your response couper-- it's good to have a civilized discussion.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:38 AM
5 Year Member

Ahh, I see what you mean on the difference between our statments Cowboy. Yep, you weren't contradicting yourself. I concede that one should have the right to point out advantages when giving specific examples, ie. speed and cornering. Yup civilized discussion is good stuff.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:19 AM
5 Year Member

Default Re: Production is limited

Originally Posted by scion sales
Production will be limited with the tC, even though it will be the volume leader for Scion once it hits our lots. Not everyone who wants one will be able to get one -- for now.

It is something I would not worry about. Just my thoughts --

Scion sales

Yup, and with a projected sales volume of 30,000 units in it's first year (do the math, that's only 600 per state!), SS is right, not everyone who wants one, will have one.

And that goes for me too!

Quick Reply: tC: Is it a chic car or not??