2005-2010 [ANT10]

tC driver arrested and charged: Homicide

Old 01-26-2006, 02:18 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default tC driver arrested and charged: Homicide

Watching news on TV right now - a tC driver was just arrested for streetracing w/ a BMW causing it to crash and burn, resulting in the BMW driver dying. Probable 'vehicular homicide' charge.

Is the FM tC driver on ScionLife? Anyone know or have further info? (I'm guessing Flint Mica from pic on KING 5 TV).

Here's the brief TV report:

BELLEVUE, Wash. - An 18-year-old Renton man was arrested on suspicion of vehicular homicide after his friend was killed in a fiery crash in Bellevue on Wednesday afternoon. Police suspect the two were racing on Coal Creek Parkway when the crash occurred.

Police said one person was driving a red BMW and the other was driving a Scion when the BMW spun out of control and sideswiped a Subaru. It was then t-boned by a VW bug. The BMW burst into flames.

Witnesses to the accident tried to pull the driver of the BMW out of the car, but they couldn’t get the door open and the flames were growing more intense. They could not save him.

The driver died at the scene. It was not known if he was killed in the crash or the fire.

The 18-year-old driver of the Scion continued driving, but then returned to the accident scene, where he was arrested when police suspected he and the friend had been street-racing.

The drivers of the Subaru and the VW were taken to a hospital, but neither was seriously injured.

Traffic was being diverted around the area and Coal Creek Parkway was expected to be closed until at least 7 p.m. during the investigaiton.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WOW...that sucks.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

yeah that does suck really bad and thats ANOTHER example why you dont freaking street race, take that crap to the track. I mean its awful and Im glad no others were killed in the accident. I wonder what kind of time that 18 year old will get?
Old 01-26-2006, 02:30 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

May require free registration:
http://www.king5.com/topstories/stor....3b3cb177.html

(Short video of news report there, too.)
Old 01-26-2006, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

things like this create stereotypes for scion owners..
Old 01-26-2006, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

im still just as shocked as i was when tom first told me in the chat.

WOW

let this be a lesson to everyone.

No one is invincible on the road.

Obey the law, and use your car what its meant for.

Respect your property, others property, your life, and others lives.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Flint Mica manual? umm, I think he might go to my school.... i'll know tomorrow...

actually it says he's from renton, but he bought his car at Bob Bridge Scion in Renton just like I did, who knows.. if it's him i'll slap him.

quick update, from friends it seems the driver of the bmw probably goes to my school, or did rather.., and i don't know about the tC driver yet.. that i'll also know tomorrow.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:10 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The 18 year old Scion tC driver in jail is a student at Bellevue Community College.
He will probably be arraigned in King County Superior court tomorrow, 26JAN2006.
Th coroner has not yet released the name of the 16 year old who was killed.
The occupants of the other two vehicles that were hit suffered minor injuries.

(It appears that KING 5 TV is updating the story linked to as more info is available...)
Old 01-26-2006, 07:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tragic
Old 01-26-2006, 07:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 05-RS1
Not only for Scion owners, but for kids as well. All you 'youngsters' out there that pay, or your parents that pay, outrageous insurance premiums can thank these "street racers". Most of you are 'stereotyped' as reckless drivers.

When I was young, I too had the feeling that I was 'invincible'. All it took was one car wreck to change my feeling. I was 18 at the time and fresh out of high school. A car turned in front of me not giving me time to brake. I ended up 'eating' the steering wheel. I went to the Oral Surgeon's office for emergency surgery the very next day and had to (1) have my lower plate snapped back into place and (2) my jaw wired shut for a month. Try eating with your jaw wired for a 30 days. That doesn't even take into account the 7 (4 one visit, 3 the next visit.) root canals I had to have after the wire was removed. I still have ramifications today over something that happened over 18 years ago. Lots of people were shocked to know I wasn't seriously injured worse after seeing my car's front end practically crumpled up to the windshield.

My point is; just be careful out there. Its unfortunate when something like that accident (scion/bmw) occurs and there are fatalities. It should make you re-think about how 'invincible' you really are. I'm sorry if I seem to be preaching to you. I just wanted to share a personal experience with you all.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn thats like a few blocks from me!
Old 01-26-2006, 11:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1. Unfortunately, this won't stop anyone from street racing. People die all of the time from this crap, but no one seems to have learned anything yet?

2. "The 18-year-old driver of the Scion continued driving, but then returned to the accident scene." -- WTF??

3. The BMW driver was 16?!
Old 01-26-2006, 12:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ack154
3. The BMW driver was 16?!
In retrospect, its for that very reason I'm glad I had a P.O.S. 1978 Nissan sedan that did 0-60 in as many minutes. Inexperianced kids have no need for new or fast cars. My first (and only thank god) wreck happend when I was 16 and totaled the aforementioned nissan...like that was a hard thing to do.
Like the guy above said, it was a reality check.

God, I sound like my father, someone shoot me.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I consider myself very lucky, to be around at this age after all the crazy/stupid stunts I pulled running fast on the road. I lost friends back in the day; but the lesson learned only lasted so long... then it was out on the road again ( we as humans tend to feel invinceable ). Whether a death is caused by racing, or just a pure accident--it's still tragic none the less.
My daughter's HS lost 3 kids right before school started this year, in what was just an accident. All over the news. Then a couple days later, a couple kids from a community maybe an hour away died in a high speed crash. Again all over the news. Then you hear about more accidents, in those same areas. It makes one furious.
I may joke once in awhile about running a v8 pinto on the street when i was younger, but let me tell you--when you have a teen child who is driving: your perspective really changes.....
Street racing will never stop; but even if you have little concern for your well being--please remember your family does.
thanks for listening.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:38 PM
Banned
SL Member

I wonder who won the race

No, but seriously. Nothing we say or do is going to stop people from street racing. Most of the time, it is a spontaneous decision. e.g. some guy in a civic pulls up to you and starts revvin his engine and then pulls of. A smart person would just laugh at his DX with Si badges and ignore him. A dumbass would be "offended" by this gesture and go after him. Its more of a road rage thing. All we can do is not participate and hope for the best.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah when I have kids and their of age to drive, it'll probably be 2025. Im going to find a nice '87 Mercury Tracer(my first car lol) and have them use that.

I used to street race. Ive seen too many people get injured and a couple die because of it. I gave up on it after my friend and his girlfriend died because of a street race.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Wow.. damn kids. This is why my damn rate just went up.. or from my damn speeding tickets
Old 01-26-2006, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Hyghgynx
Not only for Scion owners, but for kids as well. All you 'youngsters' out there that pay, or your parents that pay, outrageous insurance premiums can thank these "street racers". Most of you are 'stereotyped' as reckless drivers.
I have to agree with you. Some Kids...well I'll use "Young adults" since they dont' like to be called kids. They think they're invinsible to everything! Here in VA, there are more teenage deaths involving cars! Some drink and drive, some race, some just speed.

In NJ by my moms place, one kid was racing his uncle's Benz with some other car on a straight road in the middle of the night in the "warehouse district" of town. In the Benz was the kid and a girl who JUST graduated high school THAT DAY! After about a half a mile or so the kid in the benz didn't see a truck making a wide turn in front of him and by then it was too late. The driver survived but the girl who was in the car died.

"Young adults" like that should be a little more responsible. Just think, your lucky today for nothing happening but one day/night you won't be so lucky. And it was all cause you were trying to "have fun".

Sanjuro, I agree that every kid should start off with a P.O.S before jumping into a new car. Until a "young adult" can show they are responsible enough to drive, then they can get a new car. My kids are NOT going to get new cars. I and every friend I've had all started with beaters and then worked their way up to a real nice car.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dacubanskillz
Originally Posted by Hyghgynx
I have to agree with you. Some Kids...well I'll use "Young adults" since they dont' like to be called kids. They think they're invinsible to everything! Here in VA, there are more teenage deaths involving cars! Some drink and drive, some race, some just speed.

In NJ by my moms place, one kid was racing his uncle's Benz with some other car on a straight road in the middle of the night in the "warehouse district" of town. In the Benz was the kid and a girl who JUST graduated high school THAT DAY! After about a half a mile or so the kid in the benz didn't see a truck making a wide turn in front of him and by then it was too late. The driver survived but the girl who was in the car died.

"Young adults" like that should be a little more responsible. Just think, your lucky today for nothing happening but one day/night you won't be so lucky. And it was all cause you were trying to "have fun".

Sanjuro, I agree that every kid should start off with a P.O.S before jumping into a new car. Until a "young adult" can show they are responsible enough to drive, then they can get a new car. My kids are NOT going to get new cars. I and every friend I've had all started with beaters and then worked their way up to a real nice car.
It's legal here to get your permit at 15 1/2 and your license (if you've completed driver's ed) at 16. I got my permit at 15 1/2 but then waited till I was 17 1/2 until I actually got my license, I didn't see a reason to drive and I didn't think I was experienced enough, that doesn't mean I wouldn't have gotten the car I have though, it's a normal thing around Bellevue especially for kids to have nice and new cars. Stop in the BHS parking lot and all you'll see are 3-series bimmers and mercedes, it's just that way here, iunno.. There's only one other tC at NHS with me and it's a FM Manual tranny, unlike my auto. I know the BMW driver now, he was a sophomore, don't think the name matters to anyone here so I'll just leave it out. The tC driver I still don't know, apparently he is from Renton like they say but it seems weird for a 16yr old from Bellevue to know an 18yr old from Newport.

Some kids have to learn the hard way, yes, kids, because until you realize it's more than just YOU on the road, you're still a kid.

~Ty.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

If anyone I knew was injured or or killed due to some punk like that, they would definitely be hoping that they were locked up away from me for a LONG time. I have had some friends that raced off track before, but they also had a section of road in an industrial park at which they could block both ends and have no worries that anyone but them was there (flat, so you could see forever, plus the road only went to one building and ended so no one used it or any of the roads around at night) , so at least they were only risking their own hides if they did something stupid. That still affects the insurance rates, but at least they kept it away from public streets. I get tired of these s#!ts who know jack about driving going out and hurting or possibly killing innocent people. It is tragic that the BMW driver was killed, but unfortunately he decided to race on public streets and it happened to him. I am more concerned about the people minding their own business that he ran into. Luckilly it sounds like they came out without major injury. Just think, if they would have even found a deserted road or a track, most likely the worst that would have happened was him spinning off the road and maybe doing a little damage to his car. But instead he not only endagered everyone else on the road but killed himself in the process. Sad and stupid.

And to add, it is also bad enough that some people, even on a track, seem to think that driving that way is a simple matter of pressing the gas and steering. Anytime you push a cars limits you have to know what you are doing in case of disaster. Even dumping off the gas to quickly in a high rpm and speed situation will cause the car to lose control in many cases. Too many kids get fast cars and think they are the next best race driver without any practice whatsoever.

I feel for everyones family involved in this. I lost a brother due to a car accident (not racing, but not being too smart either) so I know how it can feel. I pray that they will be able to get past this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tC driver arrested and charged: Homicide