2005-2010 [ANT10]

tC driver arrested and charged: Homicide

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 12:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HughDTX
Why the hell is he getting vehicular manslaughter charges? I understand he broke the law and should be charged, but he didn't kill the kid. They both made a choice to race, and the dead kid had the car I'd bet to win. Am I missing some form of reasoning here?
I agree with you, he should be charged for street racing and that is all.

If HE ran into someone's car and caused it to happen then yes, he should he charged.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

He got off EASY.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

He could still get 3 months in jail for street racing, I don't think that's getting off easy.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

No, he may get 3 months for endangering others, driving recklessly and participating in a race that killed one person and nearly killed others (that were not even involved). No matter what, he was a part of this.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:01 PM
sgx
5 Year Member

I'm not getting my kids (if I have em'!) any type of fast or sporty car. I'll get em something like an xB or used Camry or something like that. I had no temptation to race in my '93 Beige Camry, though I did punch the gas a little once in a while.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the update. we'll never agree on this, but I'm just happy our judicial system works.

I'd also be very surprised if he got jail time. I'd guess something more along the lines of 600 hours of community service and 5 years probation. he'll have a felony on his record, now, but at least two lives weren't ended that day instead of just one...
Old 08-17-2006, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
No, he may get 3 months for endangering others, driving recklessly and participating in a race that killed one person and nearly killed others (that were not even involved). No matter what, he was a part of this.
He was involved in racing and driving recklessly, he was not involved in killing anyone.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"he was not involved in killing anyone."

But he was. It is called "proximate cause", and it does not matter that there was no intent to kill.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

No matter what, his friend died and he knows in his heart that he was racing with him and if they weren't racing, his friend might have not been burnt to death... That's got to suck to live with, and his record will be tainted forever... His live is going to be dramatically different now, and as easy as his jail time may be... I wonder what his conscience and life must be like now.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, think about it, guys.

If he didn't agree to race his friend, his friend wouldn't be dead. So I do believe that puts him at fault at least slightly. Maybe its direct, premeditated murder, but he still shares the responsibilitiy, and more so than just some type of negligent manslaughter
Old 11-22-2006, 08:23 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Last report on this event: Final results.

Vehicular assault case ends with no jail time:
Teen's uncle says friend's death was punishment enough

By David A. Grant
King County Journal

22NOV2006

A young Newcastle man involved in a high-speed car chase game resulting in a crash that killed his close friend was sentenced to 15 days of home detention, avoiding any jail time.

Sukhneet Singh Virk, who turned 19 in July, was sentenced Friday to 15 days of electronic home monitoring and another 30 days that were converted to community service.

It was near the middle of the sentencing range, which calls for one to three months of jail time.

He must also pay court costs, a $500 victim's fee, a $100 collection fee and yet-to-be determined restitution to victims of the crash.

In sentencing Virk, Judge William Downing said he was struck by the number of letters written on Virk's behalf and the impact the tragedy seems to have had on the teenager, resulting in a higher level of maturity.

"All of you know there is no going back to normal," Downing said. "This act is not one of malice or ill will but of immaturity and lack of responsibility."

He called it a "sad case" that illustrates the need to treat cars as dangerous, not as playthings.

In July, a jury acquitted Virk of vehicular homicide in the death of his close friend Rishi Sodhi, 16, but convicted him of vehicular assault.

The jury's verdict was bittersweet for more than 20 friends and relatives of Virk and members of the Eastside's close-knit Sikh community who sat through the three-day trial.

Several said that they pleased that Virk wasn't going to prison, but still grieved for Rishi.

Downing said Friday that the jury's decision, which was criticized at the time by Virk's attorney, was defensible and the result is fair.

Vehicular homicide carries a sentence of up to 3½ years in prison.

On Jan. 25, Virk was driving his 2006 Toyota Scion on Coal Creek Parkway in Factoria, playing a high-speed game of what Downing described as "cat and mouse" with Rishi, who was behind him, in his BMW.

Traveling at estimated speeds of 70-90 mph in a 40 mph zone, Rishi was killed when his car struck two oncoming cars and burst into flames.

Two other motorists were injured in the crash: Glen Dea, 38, who was hospitalized with fractures to his arm and foot, and a 75-year-old woman who suffered minor injuries.

Neither of the crash victims attended the sentencing. About 15 friends and family members came to the courtroom on Friday.

Downing chose a sentence toward the low end of the range, which called for one to three months of jail time and a $10,000 fine.

Senior Deputy Prosecutor Amy Freedheim had recommended two months of detention with 30 days converted to community service hours.

Virk's attorney, Tony Savage, urged a sentence at the low end of the range with electronic home monitoring. He noted that restitution will be high, given today's costs for hospital treatment.

Later Savage called Downing's sentence "fair and appropriate."

Asked if he wanted to comment before he was sentenced, Virk declined, but did respond to questions posed by Downing.

Dressed in a dark suit and turban, Virk was somber as he told Downing he is enrolled at Bellevue Community College and wants to complete his sentence as quickly as possible and "move on" with his life. He is interested in becoming a doctor or a lawyer.

"I miss him every day," Virk said of his friend, Rishi. "There are no words to say how great a person he was. He was a gifted individual."

After the sentencing, Sarbjit Singh Virk said his son has shown a "totally different personality" since the crash. Before, he was a typical teenager with no worries who liked to have fun. Now he's more serious, he listens to his parents and even corrects their driving.

"If I'm one mile over the speed limit he says to slow down," Sarbjit Singh Virk said.

Virk's uncle, Dalvinder Gill, repeated his contention that his nephew's only crime was speeding and the death of his friend is punishment enough.

"We've lost a good kid. Sukhneet will have a lifelong effect. He didn't deserve to be brought to trial in the first place," Gill said. "He (Virk) was in front. What the driver behind does, he has no control over. He's not responsible for that."
Old 11-22-2006, 09:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

That's why even though I drive a tC I never push it or race someone... And yeah I am 16
Old 11-22-2006, 10:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sad, no jail time. I think money, influence, and race was involved with this new court decision. However, he now has a criminal record. Each time he signs up for a job (doctor, lawyer, politician), he has to report it. Unless the perp's family fight to expunge it. I do agree both the decease and the living made a bad judgment call and have paid/will pay for the consequences. I still believe in the old Mosaic/Hammurabi code: an eye for an eye, death for death.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow. I hope with the sentence being so low, the lesson sticks with him for the rest of his life (I'm sure it will considering it was a close friend of his).
Old 11-22-2006, 01:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh snap! He's Indian, too!
Old 11-23-2006, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by dacubanskillz
Originally Posted by Hyghgynx
Originally Posted by 05-RS1
things like this create stereotypes for scion owners..
Not only for Scion owners, but for kids as well. All you 'youngsters' out there that pay, or your parents that pay, outrageous insurance premiums can thank these "street racers". Most of you are 'stereotyped' as reckless drivers.
I have to agree with you. Some Kids...well I'll use "Young adults" since they dont' like to be called kids. They think they're invinsible to everything! Here in VA, there are more teenage deaths involving cars! Some drink and drive, some race, some just speed.

In NJ by my moms place, one kid was racing his uncle's Benz with some other car on a straight road in the middle of the night in the "warehouse district" of town. In the Benz was the kid and a girl who JUST graduated high school THAT DAY! After about a half a mile or so the kid in the benz didn't see a truck making a wide turn in front of him and by then it was too late. The driver survived but the girl who was in the car died.

"Young adults" like that should be a little more responsible. Just think, your lucky today for nothing happening but one day/night you won't be so lucky. And it was all cause you were trying to "have fun".

Sanjuro, I agree that every kid should start off with a P.O.S before jumping into a new car. Until a "young adult" can show they are responsible enough to drive, then they can get a new car. My kids are NOT going to get new cars. I and every friend I've had all started with beaters and then worked their way up to a real nice car.
Nah.. the people who are dumb and go street racing are kids (no matter how old they are...)
Old 11-23-2006, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"Here, though, is a FACT a lot of people keep ignoring, even though it has been brought up several times, complete with links to the actual Washington State laws (RCW - Revised Code of Washington). Let's say it all together, slowly, just once, OK? THE CHARGE FOR CONTRIBUTING TO ANOTHER'S DEATH, WHILE DRIVING A VEHICLE IN A RECKLESS MANNER IN WASHINGTON STATE, IS "VEHICULAR HOMICIDE" - THERE IS NO "VEHICULAR MANSLAUGHTER" LAW. OK?"

apparently a vehicular "assault" law is on the books dang loopholes. [/kidding]

this quote concerns me btw...."Later Savage called Downing's sentence "fair and appropriate."
Old 11-23-2006, 04:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

they think the tc is a race car...hahaha
Old 11-23-2006, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

where is the video on the report
Old 11-23-2006, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member