Old 02-23-2007, 06:20 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

yeah.... jersey was one of the states i've driven though..

i hate that turnpike with a passion...
Old 02-23-2007, 06:49 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, neither New Jersey nor Oregon think their citizens are smart enough to pump gas...

I'm always annoyed when I'm in Oregon and some PFY starts waving that dripping metal nozzle around the side of my car. I know it's the law that I can't pump my own gas there, but trust me, I'm out of the car and in his face before he can get to my filler door.

*I* open the filler door, *I* remove the filler cap, *I* make damned sure he doesn't bounce that nozzle of the side of my car or pour gas down the side of it, and *I* put the filler cap back on and close the door.

I know that I will be careful - it's my car. I have no such trust in some randomly chosen mouth breather.

I fail to understand why NJ and Oregon have those ridiculous laws, while the other 48 don't.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh yeah, some states have laws against pumping your own gas. it is done to employ the unemployable.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got a great story, i'll never forget this one....

My cousin works at a monroe shop (I was there). He had an eclipse brought in on a tow truck because it wouldn't start. It would barely turn over. The owner was an 18 year old "princess". They asked her when things stopped working. She said, it was fine until i did an oil change. HINT HINT.. So they start looking into it and asking questions. They asked if she had used the right oil filter and stuff, ( just for ideas) and she said, whats an oil filter? HA. Then they decided to check the dipstick. There lie the problem!!! The only thing left to do was drain the oil and fill it back up and see if it would start. THE PROBLEM... from her lips... "I was filling it up in the top of the engine hole thingy and i couldn't see anything so i just kept filling it.!!!!!!!!!!
THEY REMOVED 24 QUARTS OF OIL FROM HER MOTOR.

Thats one for the books!!
Old 02-23-2007, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Seriously?? I can’t pump my own gas now that I’m in Oregon? I don’t even trust mechanics with my car, yet alone a gas jockey. Guess I’m going to have to do what Tomas does and do everything except put in the nozzle and pull the lever. And they better believe I’ll be chewing their _ss if they drip on or ding the side.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ouch, makes me want to cry... Did this person just have no clue? Yikes
Old 02-23-2007, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chooxd
well here in new jersey self service is illegal. funny how whenever i cross state lines im like, "wtf? pump my own gas? and then who do i give my money to?"
that's crazy, self service is illegal in NJ? I remember seeing Full Serve in California back in the 80's and 90's...now all I see are Self Serve.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TeeCizzle
Originally Posted by DrBrando
omg!!! that reminds me of my twin cousins' crappy car. i dont even remember what it was, but it had an oil leak and they never bothered to change it, so they ran it out of oil!

that also reminds me of my friend who did an oil change on his truck, AND DIDNT FILL IT BACK UP WITH OIL!
U live in the Ghetto??...

Hope you got some kinda security now!...geesh!
Since your last 2 cars got Stolen!....
i dont live in the ghetto, its all the ghetto people come and steal from where we live, cause they know we have nice crap.

i do have security now, its called a glock 45!
Old 02-23-2007, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by tCizzler
I got a great story, i'll never forget this one....

My cousin works at a monroe shop (I was there). He had an eclipse brought in on a tow truck because it wouldn't start. It would barely turn over. The owner was an 18 year old "princess". They asked her when things stopped working. She said, it was fine until i did an oil change. HINT HINT.. So they start looking into it and asking questions. They asked if she had used the right oil filter and stuff, ( just for ideas) and she said, whats an oil filter? HA. Then they decided to check the dipstick. There lie the problem!!! The only thing left to do was drain the oil and fill it back up and see if it would start. THE PROBLEM... from her lips... "I was filling it up in the top of the engine hole thingy and i couldn't see anything so i just kept filling it.!!!!!!!!!!
THEY REMOVED 24 QUARTS OF OIL FROM HER MOTOR.

Thats one for the books!!
Wow.. that's funny. So she attempted to do the oil change herself?
Old 02-23-2007, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DrBrando
i dont live in the ghetto, its all the ghetto people come and steal from where we live, cause they know we have nice crap.

i do have security now, its called a glock 45!
LOL. Shoot, that's why I live IN the ghetto! All my neighbors go somewhere else to steal crap, so I know all my stuff is safe!

Loving the security system you have. I bet it only has to go off once before that person never tries to steal your car again. And I'm totally stealing that for my signature.

33k without an oil change? I'm at 4800 miles right now and I can feel the engine getting a little bit sluggish compared to having fresh oil.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

we had a beater toyota turcel we used to drive around in one of our fields and it had a oil leak so we used suntan lotion hahah kept running and we beat the POOP out of it never died we eventualy crushed it with a front end loader and made a dirtbike jump out of it hahaha
Old 02-23-2007, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Gotta love those Tercels.. I'm a proud owner.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh man. Oil changes from anyone but myself make me nervous. I've had several family members who now open their hood and check everything after an oil change because there have been cases where the mechanics "forgot" to put the cap back on... SPEWING OIL EVERYWHERE, eventually resulting in a dry engine!

Or, my sister recently had her 04 Altima fail to start because there was NO OIL. I don't even want to think of what the heck happened... and this is up North, too, where apparently an oil change costs like $40?!
Old 02-23-2007, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chooxd
well here in new jersey self service is illegal. funny how whenever i cross state lines im like, "wtf? pump my own gas? and then who do i give my money to?"
welcome to NY! haha
One time in NJ, my brother was getting gas at night by the Holland Tunnel and the guy working there stole his credit card. Gotta be careful there.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Since this is an oil change question post, here's a stupid question: I have never changed oil in a car before and I've used up my 3 free changes already. I want to start doing this, and change brakes, on my own in the future. Where's the best place to learn how to do this on a tC?
Old 02-23-2007, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you have a buddy w/ a lift, that would help but thats not necessary. You just have to know what youre looking for and thats it. tC is one of the easiest cars to change oils in from my experience.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

To change your brakes you're going to need a jack and a torque wrench. Throw a couple jack stands into the mix, and you'll be able to rotate your own tires, as well (although you won't be able to balance them). Those tools will also help with changing your oil, too. You can get a nice torque wrench and a 1/2 - 21mm socket at O'Reily's for about $32. (I should know, I just bought said items.) I know someone with a floor jack and jack stands, so I'm not going to bother buying those, but two jack stands go for $15.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, the tC is SO easy to work on. You almost don't even need to know how to do anything,just a vague knowledge. it's almost like the car is telling you how to work on it. It is basically self explanatory.

Just about ANYTHING you can do to your car will require these tools...

10,12,14,17,and 19 mm wrenches
Philips and flat screwdrivers
Tire iron, Jack, and stands

And thats it, if you can't do it with these tools, then you're probably doing it wrong HAHA..... A torque wrench is nice but not necesary, after doing enough work on cars, you almost turn into a torque wrench and can feel when things are just about right
Old 02-24-2007, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcKing
Since this is an oil change question post, here's a stupid question: I have never changed oil in a car before and I've used up my 3 free changes already. I want to start doing this, and change brakes, on my own in the future. Where's the best place to learn how to do this on a tC?
your garage is the best place to learn buy a floor jack and some tools. treat car repair like a knought, just untie it!
Old 02-24-2007, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is true, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Plus, I get cars in at work all the time where we have to break off a stud to get the wheel off because some idiot turned his 4-way until it ceased to turn.

Quick Reply: tC - oil change never done~